I have a 32 gig playbook and it doesn't seem to be charging. I let it run down till I got a warning at (i think) 9 percent. I put it on charge with the wall charger provided and after 10 hours it is still not fully charged, is that normal.=?
    01-05-12 12:59 PM
    What is your percentage after the 10 hours? Sounds like your charger is either not working correctly or you're using a under powered phone charger.
    01-05-12 01:03 PM
    After charging for 10 hours it is showing 94 percent. I am using the charger that came with that plugs into the wall on one end and the playbook on the other.
    01-05-12 01:06 PM
    Restlessone, if you're charging while the tablet in use, the screen, backlight, and other things will be stealing power from the battery and it may take much longer to charge.

Did you have it in standby most of that time, or with the screen on?

The included charger can recharge an empty PlayBook to 100% in just over 3.5h, when it's on standby the whole time.
    01-05-12 01:13 PM
    The battery guru app would be useful to you(and others) right now. You can see the charge rate and and other vital information.

Is it stuck at 94% or still increasing? When new my indicator wouldn't go over 98% but after a few cycles it went to 100. Is it a new PB or an issue that just came up?
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-05-12 01:14 PM
    If you have a Staples or Office Max near you see if youcan pick up a rapid charger for $15.00. It will charge faster and same wear and tear on your mini usb port since it uses a pin connection. Sounds like you have a bad charger.
    01-05-12 01:17 PM
    After charging for 10 hours it is showing 94 percent. I am using the charger that came with that plugs into the wall on one end and the playbook on the other.
    It does seem that you might have a faulty charger, but here are a few things you can try before you look to get it replaced or find a new one.

1). As you point out that PB battery shows 94% after 10 hr charging, if that number dosent get any higher, then try to use the data cable that came with your PB and plug it to your computer to charge via the USB port. Now this will take way longer than normal chargers, but at least if you can reach 100%- then it will rule out problems with the PB battery or the battery meter in the PB.

2). If you find that your PB does go unto to 100% with the USB-comp charging, then let the battery go down to 90% and try to charge again using the wall charger and see if it goes up and beyond 94%. This will indicate whether the wall charger is bad, and rest with the PB is ok.

If you do find the charger to be faulty by going through the steps above then get it replaced by calling RIM customer care (will have 1 year warranty), and also look at walmart and staples to buy a rapid charger (charging pod)- they have been on sale for sometime, but might be already gone.

Good luck
    01-05-12 01:17 PM
    Yeah it seems to be stuck at 94%. I try those fixes when I get home tonight.

Thanks everyone for the help it's much appreciated.
    01-05-12 01:43 PM
    Restlessone, does it still show the lightning bolt when it gets there, or does that go away at that point? Or did it ever show the lightning bolt? (Lightning bolt means it's actually charging.)

Either way, Battery Guru would show you the voltage as well as power. The power would let you know for sure that the charger is working properly, and the voltage would (when you took the charger off) would show you whether the battery really is charged. It goes from about 3.4V at 0% to 4.2V when it's full.

It's possible the software is just miscalibrated and though it says 94% it really is full... I've never seen that situation before (at least, not below 99%) but there's always a first.

If it is miscalibrated, a complete discharge (till it shuts off) followed by a complete charge (till it stops actually charging, not just till it hits 100% or any other value) is supposed to nudge the software to recalibrate, or give it reliable data on which to base the recalibration. At that point (not immediately... can take a day or two beyond that) it may suddenly decide that what's now 94% is really 100% and then you're good.
    01-05-12 02:48 PM
    I plugged it into my computer and it charged to 100%. I will let it run down to 90% and try charging with the wall charger again.

Thanks guys
    01-05-12 10:29 PM
    I plugged it into my computer and it charged to 100%. I will let it run down to 90% and try charging with the wall charger again.

Thanks guys
    If your wall charger fails to get it back to 100%, then its for sure its your charger.
    01-05-12 11:41 PM
    If your wall charger fails to get it back to 100%, then its for sure its your charger.
    That, or an intermittent or transient problem that's no longer showing up.
    01-06-12 12:31 AM
    I seem to be having issues with my charger/battery as well. My battery went from 35% to dead. Then, I had to plug it in overnight and the light was green so I turned it on and it didn't budge from 0% all day on the OEM charger that came with it. If I unplugged it, it would die immediately. So, I tried the USB to computer and it just died/wouldn't even start. Finally, I plugged it back in to my OEM charger and after it booted, it sat at 0% for a while(no more than 10 minutes), then went to 100%.

I have always thought it was erratic in it's charging. The lightning bolt/plug on the battery seem to be random even when it is plugged to my OEM charger. Maybe other's have had similar experiences, but I wonder if mine is just wierd.
    01-06-12 01:36 AM
    neatojones, you should definitely keep investigating. What you're describing sounds much like what "wellard" or some other user saw, and he ultimately had to send it back for replacement under warranty. Unless it's working perfectly well now, and was a one-time occurrence, something is definitely wrong.

If you have it on the PC, with the proper drivers loaded etc, it should definitely charge (though slowly) when in standby.
    01-06-12 08:15 AM
    Not sure if it has been suggested already, but also try a different wall outlet just to rule that variable out of the equation.
    01-06-12 10:15 AM
    Can it be charged when it's turned off or does it have to be in Standby?
    01-06-12 11:47 AM
    Can it be charged when it's turned off or does it have to be in Standby?
    It can be charged while switched off, and also in standby mode.
    When switched off you will see the green light (LED) flashing until the charge is 100%- when the light becomes stationary.

In stand-by mode when you attach the charger, the PB will come out of sleep mode. So if you need it to go back to stand-by make sure you do it again.
    artie likes this.
    01-06-12 11:49 AM
    I think there is a serious problem. The battery went from 100% to 18% a little while after that without any use. It then stayed there until this afternoon when I had a chance to take another look at it. It went down to 16% while plugged in that whole time and with the little lightning bolt present at least some of the time. When I unplugged it, it immediately turned off and wouldn't boot like the battery was dead.
    01-06-12 03:43 PM
    Neato I think you should call RIM. That doesn't sound like a minor issue that can be fixed by the forums.
    neatojones likes this.
    01-06-12 03:51 PM
    I think there is a serious problem. The battery went from 100% to 18% a little while after that without any use. It then stayed there until this afternoon when I had a chance to take another look at it. It went down to 16% while plugged in that whole time and with the little lightning bolt present at least some of the time. When I unplugged it, it immediately turned off and wouldn't boot like the battery was dead.
    The only two Battery Guru users who've reported wild swings in the battery reading like that (lets say larger than a 20% change between two consecutive readings) both had RIM tech support tell them to return the units for replacement. I'd say it's a clear sign of a serious problem: call RIM and let them tell you the same.
    neatojones likes this.
    01-06-12 04:31 PM
    I called. They had me install the desktop "update" again. We'll see how it goes this time.

Update: It's RMA'd. We'll see if they can fix it for me now.
    Last edited by neatojones; 01-06-12 at 11:05 PM.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-06-12 06:09 PM
    Well afterletting it go to 90 percent it seems to be working fine. Charged it a couple of times and it goes to 100 percent in the expected time. Thanks everyone.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-07-12 08:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD