I just bought a 16GB PB off craigslist to play around with but it didn't come with a charger, so I'm using the 1.2A charger that came with my nexus 4. It's been on the charger for about an hour and It finally booted up, I did a factory reset and now it wants to update but says it's currently at 0% and requires 20% to start the update, will the PB even charge with the 1.2A charger? I've turned the device off and I'm going to leave it for a few hours, otherwise I guess ill have to see if a friend has a tablet charger I can have.
    07-15-13 04:40 PM
    The stock PB charger is 1.8A.
    As you've seen, you'll have difficulty with lower outputs.

You should be able to find great deals for one online.

The regular PB charger can also double as a rapid charger for BB handheld devices.
    (Or anything with a micro USB connection, really.)
    07-15-13 05:07 PM
    Yeah I turned it on and just checked and its gone up to 5%, so it'll take quite a while. I'll look around to see if anyone local has one I can use, I can't afford a charger.
    07-15-13 05:18 PM
    You should be able to find a generic iPad charger too, IIRC they are 2 amps (double check before purchasing, but lots of people used iPad car chargers for TouchPad that required 2 amps). Just look for a 2 amp charger and you should be good. The 1.2 will deliver a SLOW trickle charge, but any use at all will negate any gained charge.
    Elite1 likes this.
    07-15-13 05:36 PM
    Yeah I turned it on and just checked and its gone up to 5%, so it'll take quite a while. I'll look around to see if anyone local has one I can use, I can't afford a charger.
    I've seen then on sale for $10 or $15 sometimes.

Where are you located again?

This is how you CB10, son!
    07-15-13 05:40 PM
    I just bought a 16GB PB off craigslist to play around with but it didn't come with a charger, so I'm using the 1.2A charger that came with my nexus 4. It's been on the charger for about an hour and It finally booted up, I did a factory reset and now it wants to update but says it's currently at 0% and requires 20% to start the update, will the PB even charge with the 1.2A charger? I've turned the device off and I'm going to leave it for a few hours, otherwise I guess ill have to see if a friend has a tablet charger I can have.
    The charging wire on the Playbook has the data wires grounded together. If your charger does not have this the PB will charge slowly or not at all. The standard PB wall charger charger supplies 1.8 ampere but if you can get a fast travel charger. Also be very sure you are plugging the charger in correctly. Easy to plug it in wrong and damage the micro usb port. See KB 27705.

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl

Also the Toolkit.

http://www.troubleshootingtoolkit.co...?lang=1&id=223
    07-15-13 05:46 PM
    I'm in Canada, BC to be exact.
    07-15-13 05:47 PM
    The charging wire on the Playbook has the data wires grounded together. If your charger does not have this the PB will charge slowly or not at all. The standard PB wall charger charger supplies 1.8 ampere but if you can get a fast travel charger. Also be very sure you are plugging the charger in correctly. Easy to plug it in wrong and damage the micro usb port. See KB 27705.

KB27705-BlackBerry PlayBook battery power charge, discharge characteristics, and guidance on extending battery life

Also the Toolkit.

BlackBerry
    It's not actually the "wires" grounded out (this would make the cable unsafe for USB use). It is the plug part of the charger that will "ground" those pins show that the PB sees the charger as "quick charge" compliant. Any 2 amp charger should work for this, this is all in the plug that is converting to USB. The cables themselves are standard USB compliant cables.

To clarify, you can ground data cables of a non quick charge compliant charging cable (remember quick charge is in the power source) and a device will believe the charger is quick charge compliant. To my knowledge this doesn't give you any extra charge (you are still using a lower power supply) but the device may not give an "incorrect charger" notification if the device is programmed to do such.
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 07-15-13 at 06:18 PM. Reason: added clarification
    07-15-13 06:09 PM
    I'm in Canada, BC to be exact.
    Elite is just down or up the road from you!

The travel rapid chargers have been on sale recently. They are even faster.
    Elite1 likes this.
    07-15-13 06:11 PM
    It's not actually the "wires" grounded out (this would make the cable unsafe for USB use). It is the plug part of the charger that will "ground" those pins show that the PB sees the charger as "quick charge" compliant. Any 2 amp charger should work for this, this is all in the plug that is converting to USB. The cables themselves are standard USB compliant cables.

To clarify, you can ground data cables of a non quick charge compliant charging cable (remember quick charge is in the power source) and a device will believe the charger is quick charge compliant. To my knowledge this doesn't give you any extra charge (you are still using a lower power supply) but the device may not give an "incorrect charger" notification if the device is programmed to do such.
    I should have stated it more clearly. The data wires are connected together but not actually connected to the device ground. A 1.2 amp charger would work with a charging cable but would not charge as fast as the standard PB chargers. The micro usb cable you use to connect the PB to the computer does not have the data wires connected together. It is stated that the charging current from the computer is limited to 0.384 amps max. Since the PB uses about 0.9 amp to operate this charging rate is obviously way too low to charge an operating PB from a computer . If you can get your PB to charge while in standby using <0.1 amp you might get your PB battery charged but it could take days.

Don't know about chargers for Apple but would prefer to stay away from the orchard gear.

Seem to recall posts saying that AT&T has a charging cable which might be used with a phone charger in emergency.

The charging cable for the BBPB is not a standard micro usb data cable. Again be careful how you plug any micro usb cable into the ab type receptacle because it plugs in upside down from the usual position. Read the manual.
    07-15-13 07:04 PM
    I went through two of the official BlackBerry chargers. Both failed, so I have used any charger that I have which has a micro USB end or will utilize the BlackBerry USB to micro USB cable. Some chargers will cause the lightning bolt symbol, others will have the plug symbol appear. Do not let your PlayBook discharge fully-. I tried cheap and simple and it works for me.
    07-15-13 08:37 PM
    The PlayBook charges very slowly until it gets to 20%, then speeds up.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 08:51 PM
    The Asus charger I got with the Nexus 7 works with the Playbook and the Playbook wall charger works with the Nexus7. Both give about 1.8 amps in standby on the playbook calculating using voltage and watts reported by Battery Guru. There are a lot of different kinds of chargers out there and it still is the best idea to go with the recommended stock brand. And if you get a rapid travel charger which uses a magnetic coupling you may be like a lot of us who wouldn't be without one.
    07-15-13 09:30 PM
    The PlayBook charges very slowly until it gets to 20%, then speeds up.<br />
    <br />
    Posted via CB10
    This is not accurate with the rapid travel charger. From the Knowedge Base article KB 27705

If*the battery voltage is below 3.53V(0%) then the charging behaviour is dependent on the software*version.* The charging code will limit the charging current to under 400 milliamps,*during which*time, it may take an hour to reach 3.53 Volts. Once the battery voltage rises past 3.53 volts, then high-rate charging will start.*If, after charging the Tablet for 4*to 6 hours still does*not*result in*LED*activity, attempt to force power on the*BlackBerry*Playbook by pressing and holding only the Power Button for only 20 seconds.
    07-15-13 09:35 PM
    Well, I left it on the charger for a few hours and got the update installed, sideloaded a bunch of apps etc. Now just need to track down a 2A charger.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-16-13 08:03 AM
    Well, I left it on the charger for a few hours and got the update installed, sideloaded a bunch of apps etc. Now just need to track down a 2A charger.
    I just got a real BB rapid charger from Amazon for under $15. Uses the 3 pin connection
    07-16-13 10:44 AM