The cord on my charger won't work on my playbook but charges other stuff like my phone (samsung) so I switched....

This worked fine until my cat chewed threw that cord now I've tried another so called bb charger? And it didn't work. I was able to find an lg that worked a bit until I noticed it was making the sound all scratchy and if I remove the charger, so goes the sound with it???

If I plug it back in I get the sound back but it's really so bad I can't use it...

I'm using the middle plug. They're 2 other plugs but I don't know what they're for?

I hope someone knows what the problem is and maybe the where abouts/price of the original....

Peace n Tanks
    Diazaman
    02-18-14 02:12 PM
    Hello !

The charger for your Playbook device should not be used on other devices, and vice versa. This may cause fatal problems within the hardware of devices. If you are in need of a new BB Playbook charger, you may find them for sale HERE.

Good luck !
    -Brendan
    Diazaman likes this.
    02-18-14 02:38 PM
    The three-contact area to the right I believe (going from memory, bear with me) is for a rapid charger. If you're having trouble with the micro-USB, I'd recommend picking up a BlackBerry rapid charger. It uses a magnet to hold it in place, and as the name suggests, speeds up charging times.

The other port is a mini or micro HDMI out port.

Posted via Z30
    Carl Estes and Diazaman like this.
    02-18-14 03:02 PM
    to PB charger works great for phones ,... used it on 9800, 9900, Z10 and other non BB phones. The phones can manage to higher amperage noprobs ... nadthey charge about twice as fast

OTOH , lower than recommended amperage chargers are a very bad idea for the PB. WIl not charge and will drain down an can be very hard to get back.
    02-18-14 03:11 PM
    you can use the blackberry charger in any similar device but need a 2 amp micro usb charger for the playbook, about a fiver on ebay. the standard blackberry phone chargers don't kick out enough ampage although my nokia one does. if sound is going funny it's possible the socket is damaged.

better to get one of the cable chargers for the magnetic plug as you can leave it in its case.
    02-18-14 05:01 PM
    Refer to the HELP icon on your PB screen and look at the item titled Battery. There is even a video. The PB playbook micro USB charging cable has the data wires shorted together. The charging control system recognizes this and allows the standard PB charger to charge at up to 1.8 amperes. The battery charging is discussed in K nowledge Base 27705.

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl
    02-18-14 08:22 PM
    Crackberry sells the chargers, both the standard and the magnetic (I think).

Others have found them on Amazon. The rapid charger is very nice - you don't have to fit the fragile usb port.

As indicated, the standard Playbook charger is fine for bbphone - actually BB sells it as a rapid travel charger for their phones.
    02-18-14 08:24 PM
    I just bought 3 chargers online and Amazon is the way to go for the price that CB sells them you can get two different chargers:

Amazon.com: Blackberry Folding Blade Charger for Playbook (Black): Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: Blackberry Rapid Travel Charger for Playbook - Retail Packaging - Black: Computers & Accessories
    02-19-14 12:59 AM
    I couldn't find a rapid charger like everyone else suggested. So I took your advice and, went to the pawnshop where I purchased my PB and told them that the bb charger they sold me wasn't the right one. They couldn't find a bb charger but did find a Sony one that put out the juice you suggested and voila, she works. They gave it to me for free too!

Now there is a big lightning bolt showing which there never was before. So thank you very much...
    Dizzy

Ps. The sound problem still happens if I forget to switch to the new charger and the power runs down. It seems like it cuts power from the audio as a warning?
    you can use the blackberry charger in any similar device but need a 2 amp micro usb charger for the playbook, about a fiver on ebay. the standard blackberry phone chargers don't kick out enough ampage although my nokia one does. if sound is going funny it's possible the socket is damaged.

better to get one of the cable chargers for the magnetic plug as you can leave it in its case.
    05-08-14 01:30 PM
    Cool to know, thanks...
    05-08-14 01:38 PM
    What can happen (as noted elsewhere in the forum) the Playbook can become wonky while it is plugged into the charger, finger moves and a "twitchy" arrow/icon. But once you unplug it, stable.

You have to get one of these, Amyzon has bunches of 'em @ about 11 bucks.

Amazon.com: Blackberry Rapid Travel Charger for Playbook - Retail Packaging - Black: Computers & Accessories

c
    Diazaman likes this.
    05-08-14 01:50 PM
    The day I went looking for the 3 prong rapid charger in my local computer stores no one had any but one guy (he was a lot of help) said he had one on order. He also explained why the bb charger that I received from the pawnshop where I purchased the playbook wasn't working. (yet it did for approx 3 mos.) He continued to plug in one of his personal chargers with the same mini (usb) connector that came with mine, showing me the big lightning bolt. Which as I mentioned had never appeared before. This is what someone else here mentioned.

Luckily the pawnshop was directly across from the pc store because I made about 3 trips back and forth asking for the computer dudes opinion...lol

Now I'm not sure which rapid charger he had on order, the regular one or the travel version. Nor do I know the differences in price and/or whether I need the travel version which I suspect will cost more? Could you possibly explain the differences to me?

Thanks Bro,

Dizzy

Ps. Would you mind checking out my new thread, YouTube problems? Peace
    05-08-14 05:01 PM
    The Travel Charger uses the Micro USB port, and the magnetic Rapid Charger uses the same 3 pins and the Charging Dock uses. This will save the wear/tear on the Micro USB port for Data transfers etc.
    The Magnetic charger IS the one to get, you can also connect it blindfolded and if you happen to pick up the PB and forget about the cable, it just breaks away. No damage.

c
    Diazaman likes this.
    05-09-14 08:35 AM