After writing in the charging thread how great it was at lasting, when I went to use my PB today it only said 57% after charging from 2 a.m. til noon. It was somewhere below 65% when I plugged it in, so not sure the exact level of charge when I put it in the socket. Is there something wrong with the charger or could it not be reading the actual charge? The lightning bolt is there so it recognizes that it is plugged in, so what else can I check?
    12-23-11 01:26 PM
    I actually had my charger fail after only a couple of weeks. Took it back to Costco and demanded a replacement and it's been fine ever since. (touch wood)
    12-23-11 02:24 PM
    I've also read that it might not be reading correctly with the fix being to let your Playbook run until it shuts itself off and then charge to full capacity.
    12-23-11 03:06 PM
    After writing in the charging thread how great it was at lasting, when I went to use my PB today it only said 57% after charging from 2 a.m. til noon. It was somewhere below 65% when I plugged it in, so not sure the exact level of charge when I put it in the socket. Is there something wrong with the charger or could it not be reading the actual charge? The lightning bolt is there so it recognizes that it is plugged in, so what else can I check?
    What kind of charger is it? The included one that plugs into the micro USB port?
    12-23-11 03:07 PM
    I have found that if the rapid charger is not fully/properly engaged the Lightning Bolt will show but the unit does not necessarily charge and will discharge with use.
    12-23-11 03:14 PM
    I have turned if off and have it charging when off. The little green light is pulsating, so I assume it thinks its charging.

I am using the charger that came with the PB.

Does it charge any better if I plug it in to my computer?

Thought I might try that.

I did read some of the other threads about charging issues. Some ideas in there if it is simply not reading the meter properly.

This was a PB purchased through RIM employee. I do want the speedy charger, its on my Christmas list so hopefully I might have it on Sunday.
    12-23-11 03:30 PM
    A computer's usb port will actually charge it very slowly and if it is being used, it will lose power. There is separate usb charging ONLY cable that works better on usb. AT&T sells it in the States and others may, too. Folks have created their own by crossing/shorting some wires.

You can try a bb phone charger but it also will be slower.

If it still does not appear to be charging, then try

Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown - it you hear a shutter sound, you probably snapped a screen shot rather than rebooted.
    12-23-11 05:43 PM
    Okay, I've tried every fix I could find, and still my battery won't charge. I even bought Battery Guru and according to that app, my playbook is not accepting a charge. I have tried my charger, my son's charge, and had it plugged into the computer. Nothing.

This is what Battery Guru says:

Battery: 51%
    Battery Voltage: 3.80 V
    Battery health: 88%

Charge: 0.00W

Recharge count: 7
    Charger type: USB wall

So looks like I'm going to have to return this to RIM.

Unless some else has an idea. I have synced with DM, tried the holding down the keys trick, different chargers.

Any other ideas?
    12-23-11 05:43 PM
    I suspect your may have a defective PB. If you have tried different chargers and still no charge something is amiss. Give RIM a call. They have an advance exchange program that will send you a new PB then you return yours. They charge you for the PB then reverse the charge when they gets yours.
    12-23-11 06:01 PM
    This is what Battery Guru says:
    Charge: 0.00W

So looks like I'm going to have to return this to RIM.
    Given what you've described there and earlier, and especially the part about having tried multiple chargers, I believe your unit is defective. I think someone reported a similar situation many months ago, and they had to request a return under warranty. RIM replaced it and the new one was fine.

Sorry to hear you apparently got a lemon. It would be a good test for you to check with a rapid charger, if you happen to know someone who has one, but all that would likely do is confirm that the USB port is non-functional for charging, and you'd still need to return it in that case.

Another thing you could try is connecting to the PC, not for charging but just to see whether it can communicate with the PC that way. If it doesn't, then you've narrowed the problem down to a defective USB port which affects charging and communications.
    12-23-11 06:08 PM
    I called RIM, had me do a factory reset, just as it was finishing the install it says that the device got disconnected, so do the setup, then redo the factory reset. So its on its second factory reset, but I'm sure that will be useless.

Battery was down to 42% at that point.
    12-23-11 07:22 PM
    Its been lots of fun with RIM and my playbook.

First they had me do the full factory reset through the DM.

That didn't work

I called back and ended up on hold so long I gave up.

Called back again, got a real nice rep named Jay, and we were on the phone for an hour, trying to figure this out. Says it is a unique problem, they have nothing in their knowledge base of anyone else having my problem.

At first he thought it was the charger, as he said a number of the playbooks that shipped for RIM employees (watch out fellow RIM employee buyers) were the wrong chargers. But when I told him it wouldn't charge with my son's charger either (and he has no problem charging his) that theory went out the window.

By 12:30 a.m. he comes back on with what he thinks is a resolution and then we get cut off.

I wait 10 minutes hoping he will call back, but no, so I call again, get a new rep. I try to see if she can get old of the other one cause I'm just not into explaining this all for the 4rth time.

Says she will try to have him call me back, but if she can't get hold of him, someone will call back to let me know.

No-one does. Now this is after 1 in the morning, so maybe they thought they shouldn't call.

Anyway, I call again today, get another nice rep, Shirley, and we do a turn off the machine, and then put in the charger and take it out at 2 minute intervals 8 times.

Now it is off, but plugged in to my son's charger (just in case mine is bad) and I have to leave it for 4 hours. Turned off.

If it is charged, then I am to try it with my charger later and see if somehow we have it all figured out. Then they will go back to the "send me a new charger"

I told her that I had read on these forums that the PB didn't charge if turned off. She says yes it does, and that is why you see the pulsing green light, its charging.

So we will see if by 2:30 this afternoon my playbook is charged or not.

The funny thing is that if I plugged it into the computer, sometimes it would pick up a charge from the computer, but never the wall outlet.

It maintained 37% during the night while plugged into the computer.

Updates in a few hours. Cross your fingers for me.

Oh, she also told me that it isn't recommended for you to let your playbook get below 20% charge.
    Last edited by crackberryjill; 12-24-11 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Just adding a new comment for the RIM rep.
    12-24-11 10:10 AM
    Oh, she also told me that it isn't recommended for you to let your playbook get below 20% charge.
    You can safely ignore this advice, other than when first setting up a new PlayBook, when it will insist on being plugged in if it's below, I thin, 40%.

There is nothing wrong with letting your PlayBook get below 20% charge, and they really shouldn't be suggesting to people that it's bad in any way to let that happen.

I say it's not recommended to let your PlayBook drop below 0% charge, because then you can't use it until you charge it a bit again!
    12-24-11 10:19 AM
    I have the same problem. I've completely drained the battery and it only charges to 2% and stops. About two weeks ago it charged but only to 83% and now this. I'm about to call tech support and see what they say.
    12-24-11 11:05 AM
    (Sorry to sound like I'm constantly pumping my own app... I'm really not that self-promotional.)

Battery Guru would report your battery voltage, which is ultimately more important to determining what's going on than the "%" level, which is merely an estimate calculated by the operating system. The voltage is what matters, and should vary between 3.4V for an "empty" battery, to 4.2V for a fully charged one.
    12-24-11 11:10 AM
    Are you using the charging cable which came with the BlackBerry PlayBook? Have you made certain the USB connector is properly seated because it can be a bit loose if not firmly connected? Contact BalckBerry PlayBook Technical Support to determine if they can replace the charging cable.
    12-24-11 12:51 PM
    Have you tried the PlayBook charger in a phone? If it's working in a phone I would think it's still working (or available to work) in the PlayBook. The charge using the computer is slow slow I would think you would be hard pressed to notice more than a % or 2 per hour. If you're using the PlayBook with the USB cable to a computer then you're not going to see an increase in charge, the computer just can't keep up with the charging requirements of the PlayBook.

Mike
    12-24-11 01:03 PM
    i started to have a similar problem after getting the charging dock. twice my playbook wouldnt charge after putting it on the dock. after a few restarts it began to take a charge again, havent seen any problems with the charger that came with it though.
    12-24-11 01:17 PM
    Thought it was time to update my PB's status.

After the 4 hours of plug in, it was down to 27%. So that didn't work very well.

Decided to enjoy Christmas Eve for a bit . Around 10 at night decided to call RIM again and got another nice rep, and she had me drain the battery first. Then after draining, do the 2 minutes in then 2 minutes out 6 times each, then plug it in for the night.

So I did that and finally got to watch Alistair Sim as Scrooge around midnight.

Christmas morning I anxiously check the playbook, 0% charged. Can't say as I was surprised.

So back on the phone with RIM. He tells me to try my charger with my son's playbook so we can rule out the charger. Well my son had already used mine to charge his fully, and I told the rep that so that concluded it certainly wasn't my charger.

He wanted me to do the 2 minutes in and out again, but I tell you, I was beginning to lose my patience, and I am a very patient person who will try most anything to get the thing to work, but I had done this twice already. Finally he put me through to an RMA rep and we set up to send me a new playbook. Small glitch.

I live in the country and on my billing from VISA I still just have the RR #, not the Emergency road address. Well, the address has to be a perfect match to do the hold on VISA, but if they put it through simply as RR #1, then Fedex will not deliver as of course that isn't a definite enough address for them.

So I have to call VISA tomorrow, get the address changed to include my ERA. It takes one day to take effect, so call RIM back on Thursday to finally put through the RMA and get myself a new playbook.

All the reps were very helpful and patient and it was a pleasure to deal with them.

At least I can still use my playbook as long as it is plugged into the wall.

Good thing I have a power outlet in my car.
    12-26-11 03:14 PM
    Best of luck with a successful conclusion down the road, the rural road.
    12-26-11 05:04 PM
    For the final update, I received my new playbook on Friday, just one day after completing the RMA. Thought that was pretty good. And it charged right up to 100%. Just have to send the other one back. Overall the experience with RIM customer service was pleasant.

Hope you all have a great New Year!
    peter9477 likes this.
    12-31-11 09:43 AM
    Glad to hear it crackberryjill, and thanks for taking the time to let everyone know how it all worked out. Enjoy (finally) your new PlayBook!
    12-31-11 12:43 PM
    You can safely ignore this advice, other than when first setting up a new PlayBook, when it will insist on being plugged in if it's below, I thin, 40%.

There is nothing wrong with letting your PlayBook get below 20% charge, and they really shouldn't be suggesting to people that it's bad in any way to let that happen.

I say it's not recommended to let your PlayBook drop below 0% charge, because then you can't use it until you charge it a bit again!
    Thank you for this
    01-10-12 12:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD