Good summary!

I just can't see prying the PB out of the keyboard case each time I want to charge it. And getting microusb plug from basic charger in is awkward when PN is in case.. So I will probably have to abandon the charger stand and save my pennies for a travel charger.

Is there a magnetic adapter that the basic charger could be plugged into so it would connect at 90 deg like the travel charger?
    I like the idea. If only the pb had been more popular, more accessories might have been created. The Magnetic thingies only have 3 connectors so it would not be a complex device but the power, as noted, would probably be less.
    12-17-12 08:48 PM
    I like the idea. If only the pb had been more popular, more accessories might have been created. The Magnetic thingies only have 3 connectors so it would not be a complex device but the power, as noted, would probably be less.
    Have thought of hacking the charger stand, but will probably wait until next fire sale on travel chargers. Still seem overpriced here in Canada.
    12-18-12 08:55 AM
    Have thought of hacking the charger stand, but will probably wait until next fire sale on travel chargers. Still seem overpriced here in Canada.
    I lucked out somewhat due to the "defective" springloaded pins. When I first found that my Travel Charger was a bit flaky I contacted Rim. I was issued a "replacement" but that turned out to be the normal usb-folding-prongs charger. They had misunderstood which charger was a problem. So I now had TWO normal pb chargers. I was then informed that the Travel Charger was not covered by any warranty and to try the store where I purchased. That did not work. So I contacted them again to no avail EXCEPT I was sent a survey on their handling of the issue. I was frank and told them it was poor. I was contacted about the survey response - two weeks of back and forth over "NO WARRANTY" on a part sold by Rim. The rep then sent me a FREE Travel Charger for the hassle factor! It, too, of course, has a low spring but works if I'm careful, as does the original.

Long story short: Hence, TWO Travel Chargers and TWO normal usb-chargers.

The Travel version does not go on sale in the States much either.
    12-18-12 09:32 AM
    Like a stand that would charge your PlayBook, but also allow you to use the HDMI Port? Or even better a Charging Stand with HDMI and a USB Hub...
    12-18-12 12:33 PM
    Or even better a Charging Stand with HDMI and a USB Hub...
    This should have been the BlackBerry Rapid Charger Dock from the outset. Maybe they hired Granny, a person who never used anything more technological than a very dangerous wringer washer, to design the BlackBerry Rapid Charger Dock so she didn't think about "fancy pants" high-definition monitors and such uppity stuff. LOL
    12-18-12 01:37 PM
    A charging stand with HDMI, USB and magnetic charger would lead to broken HDMI and USB ports.
    Most of us would have no problem but a few would.
    How many complaints have we seen from people that can't manage to connect the USB without breaking the port? I wonder how these people manage to charge a phone?
    FF22 likes this.
    12-18-12 02:21 PM
    A charging stand with HDMI, USB and magnetic charger would lead to broken HDMI and USB ports.
    Most of us would have no problem but a few would.
    How many complaints have we seen from people that can't manage to connect the USB without breaking the port? I wonder how these people manage to charge a phone?
    On my desk right now, I have my old Compaq iPaq sitting on it's charger stand. It has connectors on the bottom that both charge and allow allow communication with computer usb port. This is late 90s vintage and it hasn't broken yet despite main connector being as miniature as micro usb, except has a lot more contacts.

No reason why RIM couldn't have had usb & hdmi connectors on charging stand with power/hdmi/usb connections on back that you use or not. Just needs some guides to properly position.

One could thing they did for usb and hdmi, was use industry standard connectors (although not for mag charge connector). My iPaq uses a special connector. Luckily they sold gazillions of them, so there were many aftermarket parts available.

I found a US company that is selling the Travel Charger for $23 or $30 incl shipping to Canada. May just buy one.
    12-18-12 03:24 PM
    On my desk right now, I have my old Compaq iPaq sitting on it's charger stand. It has connectors on the bottom that both charge and allow allow communication with computer usb port. This is late 90s vintage and it hasn't broken yet despite main connector being as miniature as micro usb, except has a lot more contacts.
    Yes, I know. I have a few old iPaqs at work and never had a problem. That's why I said; "Most of us would have no problem but a few would.".
    One contact point is fairly easy to center and connect but there would be three with the Playbook.
    It would have been nice to have the standard connections plus an all in one magnetic connector for USB, HDMI and Power.
    12-18-12 04:21 PM
    Yes, I know. I have a few old iPaqs at work and never had a problem. That's why I said; "Most of us would have no problem but a few would.".
    I love the magnetic connector - especially the fact that it has no "wrong way". Offer it up with the cable pointing left or right and the connector snaps home and starts to charge.

The problem with the USB connector is that while it is keyed to only go in one way up, it is barely so. In a poor light, or in a hurry, or (like me) without the reading glasses on, it is all too easy to offer the plug up to the port upside-down resulting in a chewed-up port.

A pro-tip I read here a while back is to blob a small drop of white typing correction fluid on the top of the USB connector plug to prevent mistakes. The raised blob means it can even be inserted correctly just by feel, and I now routinely "add the blob" to the USB chargers for all my gadgets to minimise the chances of error.
    12-19-12 03:40 AM
    I have 2 docks. No problem with either. If I was buying again and only wanted to get one, I would get the travel charger, so that I could use it while charging and avoid using the fragile usb port.
    12-19-12 04:54 AM
    I bought the stand/charging dock a while back,its good......not as rapid as i thought it would be though,takes about 3 hours....is that right ?...no big issue as i have 2 Playbooks.....had a rapid travel charger delivered today for �18.99 from Amazon UK....have not tried it yet.
    12-19-12 05:05 PM
    I bought the stand/charging dock a while back,its good......not as rapid as i thought it would be though,takes about 3 hours....is that right ?...no big issue as i have 2 Playbooks.....had a rapid travel charger delivered today for �18.99 from Amazon UK....have not tried it yet.
    Yeah, 2 to 3 hours sounds about right to me.

AFAIK, internally the dock charger and travel charger are the same, so I doubt you'd see any difference in charging time between them - I don't!

For me, the travel charger wins because I don't have to remove the PB case, but they are both fine products.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-20-12 05:37 AM
    Yeah, 2 to 3 hours sounds about right to me.

AFAIK, internally the dock charger and travel charger are the same, so I doubt you'd see any difference in charging time between them - I don't!

For me, the travel charger wins because I don't have to remove the PB case, but they are both fine products.
    I'm happy with both anyway.........both were approx reduced to 30% of the full retail price �18.99 for the travel,�22 for the dock/stand.......saves the usb socket as well lol.
    12-20-12 11:46 AM
    Staples.ca has rapid charging stands on for $14 right now (limit 1 per person). Shipping is $15 or free if your total is over $50.
    12-20-12 12:43 PM
    Staples.ca has rapid charging stands on for $14 right now (limit 1 per person). Shipping is $15 or free if your total is over $50.
    Unfortunately out of stock when you try and put it in shopping cart. Same for keyboard/case. But I have found that if you go on first thing in morning, they sometimes add stock. Or go to Best Buy and get a price match.
    12-20-12 12:56 PM
    Seeing I already have a rapid charger stand, one thought that came to mind, was that all I need is a cable with the magnetic connection at each end and I could charge the PB without putting it on a stand.

Doubt it is possible to buy those ends?

Maybe I could get RIM to send me the cables off two returned rapid wall chargers!

PS: Just ordered the rapid wall charger from an Amazon.com vendor that would ship to Canada. $15.98 plus $8.99 shipping ($2.98 in usa)
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...bUvbUpU7794914

Hope they have stock!
    Last edited by kwelamnp; 12-20-12 at 01:30 PM.
    12-20-12 12:59 PM
    Unfortunately out of stock when you try and put it in shopping cart. Same for keyboard/case. But I have found that if you go on first thing in morning, they sometimes add stock. Or go to Best Buy and get a price match.
    hmm, I ordered mine about an hour ago and received a confirmation with notice for delivery tomorrow. the invoice does say "Pending approval of your order, the following item(s) will be delivered. " though so maybe if they're out of stock, my order won't be approved.
    12-20-12 01:14 PM
    hmm, I ordered mine about an hour ago and received a confirmation with notice for delivery tomorrow. the invoice does say "Pending approval of your order, the following item(s) will be delivered. " though so maybe if they're out of stock, my order won't be approved.
    I think you should be OK. I checked right after reading your post and they wouldn't put charger in my basket. That is the signal they are out of stock. If you got by that you should be good to go unless somehow they sold the last unit twice.
    12-20-12 02:45 PM
    I think you should be OK. I checked right after reading your post and they wouldn't put charger in my basket. That is the signal they are out of stock. If you got by that you should be good to go unless somehow they sold the last unit twice.
    It was waiting for me when I got to work this morning. It was less than 24 hour shipping so I guess the $15 s/h fee isn't so bad (shows $5 in the receipt below but the invoice charge is $15).

The best thing for anyone else trying to get one would be to go to a local Futureshop or BestBuy and get them to price match staples.ca What a way to start the day!
    Attached Thumbnails Which charger-charger.jpg  
    12-21-12 08:17 AM
    Visions had them on recently for $18.xx dollars. I picked up a second one for the SUV (I travel/ drive a lot - using a portable power inverter), and one for a buddy at work.
    12-21-12 08:51 AM
    Are the rapid charges harder on the battery life? They might be the answer for my daughter's PBs while using them at bedtime.
    12-23-12 08:44 PM
    No, rapid chargers are not harder on battery life. In theory they should be but in real life it would be very difficult to prove.
    Maybe you get 999 recharges instead of 1000. Prove that.
    12-24-12 04:50 AM
    Find a Staples and go to the bargain bin. Everything in that bin is 50% off (at least it was yesterday -Xmas Eve). This brings the rapid charging stand to ~$7 (yes, seven dollars), and the rapid travel (magnetic) charger to ~$18.00. The Staples in Vancouver on Broadway (and Spruce?) had LOTS of stock.

Happy Holidays!
    bruce807 likes this.
    12-25-12 02:53 PM
48 12