Which charger do I go for to speed up charging the charging stand or travel charger?

Which is best, do either shorten the battery life?

Are there any good 3rd party ones available?
    11-13-12 02:24 PM
    The first two:

Amazon.com: blackberry playbook rapid

I prefer the second one. Haven't bought it yet but for 20 bucks with shipping looks good compared to best buy's price of $40 and Walmart's $32 and Staples $44 ( in clearance)
    11-13-12 02:28 PM
    Essentially they are both the same charger. One has a stand and one doesn't.
    Neither will shorten the battery life.

You usually have to remove or partially remove the case, if you have one, to use the charging stand.
    11-13-12 02:31 PM
    Both are great & charge my PlayBook super fast. Its personal preference as to which type is best for you.
    11-13-12 02:56 PM
    Which charger do I go for to speed up charging the charging stand or travel charger?

Which is best, do either shorten the battery life?

Good link - it shows the 3 chargers in one page. I just grabbed a screen capture.

As mentioned, the first two use the rightmost magnetic charging contacts on the pb. The third uses the usb port.

Are there any good 3rd party ones available?
    Attached Thumbnails Which charger-playbookchargers.jpg  
    11-13-12 03:04 PM
    Rapid Travel Charger. It has a magnetic connector. So if you get it near the connector it clicks together. You can do it in the dark. I guess the pins can stick and not charge but I never have had a problem. Beats that flimsy USB connector which you can plug in upside down and ruin if you don't have the BB logo facing up. Stick with BB-- no generics.
    11-13-12 03:14 PM
    Look I have bought a couple of the charging docks and one doesn't work at all while the other is now acting up actually discharging my PlayBook sometimes. I've been keeping an eye on it. Idk what it is but something with these docks just wears out and poof its no more good. I'd go with the travel charger if I were you.
    11-13-12 06:57 PM
    No problem with dock charger for me. Charges super fast.
    11-13-12 08:35 PM
    Look I have bought a couple of the charging docks and one doesn't work at all while the other is now acting up actually discharging my PlayBook sometimes. I've been keeping an eye on it. Idk what it is but something with these docks just wears out and poof its no more good. I'd go with the travel charger if I were you.
    Do you use Battery Guru? It can generally show if it is merely on the cradle (it calls the Travel Rapid charger a cradle, also) but NOT charging or it will display CHARGING. Sometimes, unless properly seated, it will give a false indication but NOT charge. But you probably know this stuff.

Both magnetic chargers need better quality control to make sure those spring-loaded pins actually fully extend and keep springing.
    11-13-12 08:59 PM
    i have Rapid Travel Charger, coming of e-bay. Before i bought it i was debating wither to get the dock or not. I decided to go with the Rapid Travel Charger because my playbook is in a case that converts to a stand. . i can always flip my playbook around in the case and attach the charger to the now so called top (upside down).
    also i like the fact that it like a break away magnetic connection.
    i don't see myself holding the doc in my hands while using the playbook.
    11-14-12 04:00 PM
    i have Rapid Travel Charger, coming of e-bay. Before i bought it i was debating wither to get the dock or not. I decided to go with the Rapid Travel Charger because my playbook is in a case that converts to a stand. . i can always flip my playbook around in the case and attach the charger to the now so called top (upside down).
    also i like the fact that it like a break away magnetic connection.
    i don't see myself holding the doc in my hands while using the playbook.
    I think you made a good choice. I've used the pb while charging on the Travel (non-dock) version and I cannot see using the dock and holding the pb as you noted. Also, let me say, the BREAK-AWAY has saved the pb a sufficient number of NON-falls - worth it! And the usb probably would have been torqued out of shape!
    11-14-12 06:05 PM
    I've heard some people are having problems with the dock using the WiFi version. I haven't really heard that many using the travel charger.
    11-14-12 06:14 PM
    I've heard some people are having problems with the dock using the WiFi version. I haven't really heard that many using the travel charger.
    I had not heard that although, I guess, is is possible that the dock is near the wifi antenna. I never recall where the various pb antenna are located.
    11-14-12 07:34 PM
    Do any of you used a 3rd party charger? There's a store by me that has Duracell chargers that work on a playbook and they're only $10; I'd like to get one but worried if it would cause any issues with battery life. I've had bad experiences with generic cellphone chargers but wondering if I can have a little more faith in the Duracell brandname
    12-16-12 10:21 PM
    Do any of you used a 3rd party charger? There's a store by me that has Duracell chargers that work on a playbook and they're only $10; I'd like to get one but worried if it would cause any issues with battery life. I've had bad experiences with generic cellphone chargers but wondering if I can have a little more faith in the Duracell brandname
    That Duracell charger connects via the USB port, yes?

I'd stick with the RIM chargers myself - they come with that neat "self-locating" magnetic connector so your USB connector on the PB isn't subjected to extra wear and tear and you'd be avoiding potential warranty issues if your battery ever died and RIM asked pointed questions about use of a 3rd party charger.

I own both travel and dock chargers as they aren't as expensive these days. I prefer the travel charger because I can use it with the PB case on and, with the dock stand charger, sometimes the PB doesn't seem to seat properly in the dock and won't charge. Jiggle it about and it always kicks into life, but you may not always notice the PB isn't properly seated.
    FF22 and bruce807 like this.
    12-17-12 06:42 AM
    Yes, it connects via USB. It's $30 less than a BB charger. Maybe I'll just keep an eye out for a BB sale to be on the safe side. thanks!
    12-17-12 09:18 AM
    i got the stand, it is really good, cant really comment on the rest. Got it on amazon for �18. works a charm, faster than the original charger, useful stand for next the bed ( and in the office) its now my alarm clock a long with everything else
    12-17-12 09:35 AM
    I use the folding charger that came in the box and it works just fine. Also, when I don't need to use it I'll leave it connected to my laptop via usb and it charges through the night.
    12-17-12 09:42 AM
    I'm a huge fan of the stand charger, so much so that I have 3 of them.
    12-17-12 12:55 PM
    I'm a huge fan of the stand charger, so much so that I have 3 of them.
    Having to mess around with case removal spoilt it for the stand charger, for me.

My case acts as a stand, so the rapid charger is the most flexible solution.

For those careful with the micro USB port, you can get 90 degree USB adapters (with female micro USB sockets for the stock charger).
    12-17-12 01:10 PM
    I bought the charging stand when Staples had it on for $14.00 . I really like it. Very easy to pop the PB onto it and even use it while charging.

BUT, I next purchased a BB keyboard/case combo (on sale at Staples for $68). It is a very nice set, but it is no longer possible to use the charging stand or the basic charger while using the PB
    12-17-12 01:19 PM
    AMAZON.COM

There are reviews of both the Stand Charger and the Rapid Charger (some complaints for the Stand Charger).

Also have some pretty good prices ($15 for the Stand Type and $20 for the Rapid).
    12-17-12 01:26 PM
    Very much depending on what kind of case you have for your PB. The travel rapid charger is the easiest to use regardless of what case you have. The dock will need the device to be naked or case with thin or expose bottom. I got both thanks to great deal at crackberry(buy one get one) and also future shop (price match less 10%). I would say get the travel rapid charger first and keep looking for some crazy price slash deal from other major electronic stores on the charging dock.
    12-17-12 03:51 PM
    Very much depending on what kind of case you have for your PB. The travel rapid charger is the easiest to use regardless of what case you have. The dock will need the device to be naked or case with thin or expose bottom. I got both thanks to great deal at crackberry(buy one get one) and also future shop (price match less 10%). I would say get the travel rapid charger first and keep looking for some crazy price slash deal from other major electronic stores on the charging dock.
    Good summary!

I just can't see prying the PB out of the keyboard case each time I want to charge it. And getting microusb plug from basic charger in is awkward when PN is in case.. So I will probably have to abandon the charger stand and save my pennies for a travel charger.

Is there a magnetic adapter that the basic charger could be plugged into so it would connect at 90 deg like the travel charger?
    12-17-12 06:07 PM
    Not as far as I'm aware of. I'm sure the members here would have mention if there is a magnetic adapter available for the basic charger. Besides, both the travel rapid charger and the charging dock has higher voltage and charges the PB faster than the one that comes with the device.
    12-17-12 07:38 PM
48 12