so how critical is it to use the charger that came with the playbook ( folding blade type)

as opposed to a regular phone charger

better charge ? stronger charge ? faster charge ?

thanks
    07-21-12 08:10 PM
    Not critical as they'll both charge at different rates. I think the bb charger is 300Mah with the pb a 600Mah.

Better still, buy one of the pb rapid chargers.
    Last edited by Ben1232; 07-21-12 at 08:30 PM.
    ute likes this.
    07-21-12 08:28 PM
    Not critical as they'll both charge at different rates. I think the bb charger is 300Mah with the pb a 600Mah.

Better still, buy one of the pb rapid chargers.
    What's the diff between the regular one that comes with the Playbook and the rapid charger?

How long does it take on the rapid charger to charge the Playbook at 100% as opposed to using the regular one?
    ute likes this.
    07-21-12 08:35 PM
    What's the diff between the regular one that comes with the Playbook and the rapid charger?

How long does it take on the rapid charger to charge the Playbook at 100% as opposed to using the regular one?
    One of the differences is the plug. The standard uses a micro usb where the two rapid chargers use a 3 pin magnetic plug. There's pics of both in my profile.

Some say they charge twice as fast. I reckon they do if not close. So much faster than the standard which I now use for my 9900.
    ute likes this.
    07-21-12 08:42 PM

The primary benefit of the magnetic rapid charger it the USB port will have much less wear and tear. I avoid using the USB if at all possible.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    ute likes this.
    07-21-12 08:54 PM
    The difference in output is significant. The average BB charger puts out about .7 to 1.0 amp. The PB charger has an output of 1.8A compared to the Rapid Charger's 2.0A. A standard BB charger will barely maintain the batt level in use, I only use it in a pinch and I usually close all apps and go into Airplane Mode and let it sit with the screen off.

I can charge my PB from less than 20% to full in about 2 hours. I have a rapid charger for both our PBs and use the standard PB charger for my BB and BT.
    ute likes this.
    07-21-12 10:21 PM
    I bought my PB last year around Christmas and received a discount bc the charger was missing from the box. I use an extra BB charger that I had laying around and it works just fine. However, I charge my PB overnight bc it takes a LONG time to charge.
    ute likes this.
    07-21-12 11:35 PM
    I love the magnetic end of the Rapid Charger.. and I don't even have to look to get it charging... makes it soooo much easier.
    ute likes this.
    07-21-12 11:42 PM
    Pb standard type micro usb charger is 5V, 2A, approx 10 watts (color yellow usb pin holder). Rapid charger is 12V, 2A, approx 24 watts, so the latter will charge twice as fast the standard charger.
    ute likes this.
    07-22-12 08:25 AM
    I think Peter (Battery Guru) may have explained that the rapid is not exactly twice as fast as the pb adjusts its charging rate somewhat (but I may have completely forgotten or messed up what was explained!@@@@). But it is definitely faster and really makes a difference if the pb is in use while charging.
    Chaddface and ute like this.
    07-22-12 09:31 AM
    Thanks guys
    07-22-12 09:22 PM
    The rapid charger charges as high as 9-10 watts or at 3.7 volts on the battery about 2.5 amps. Charging a battery from 5% to greater than 95% will be done in about 3 hours. Charging rate is dropped as the per cent charged increases. The standard charger is rated at about 1.8 amps I believe. Get the rapid travel charger if you can with a price around $30. Save that delicate USB.
    07-22-12 11:49 PM
    I think Peter (Battery Guru) may have explained that the rapid is not exactly twice as fast as the pb adjusts its charging rate somewhat (but I may have completely forgotten or messed up what was explained!@@@@). But it is definitely faster and really makes a difference if the pb is in use while charging.
    I never timed it but going from memory Peter said the rapid charger is about 1/2 hour faster( from 0-100%) with the PB in standby. The benefit of the rapid charger, other then the magnetic connection, is the ability to keep the same charge rate while the PB is being used.
    If you were to use the PB while charging with the included charger the charge rate would drop. If you were to use the PB while charging with a phone charger you may see your percentage actually go down.
    ute likes this.
    07-23-12 08:26 AM
    Similarly, a usb from computer will lose power if the pb is in use. A CHARGE only usb cable can work a bit better but is still not terrific if the pb is in use.
    ute likes this.
    07-23-12 08:46 PM
    so are all the rapid chargers the same ..found this on e-bay ..great price and shipping

Blackberry Rapid Charging Pod / Stand for Playbook Tablet - Retail Packaging 843163089051 | eBay

whats your opinion ? ..this does have the magnetic thingy ?
    07-23-12 08:54 PM
    so are all the rapid chargers the same ..found this on e-bay ..great price and shipping

Blackberry Rapid Charging Pod / Stand for Playbook Tablet - Retail Packaging 843163089051 | eBay

whats your opinion ? ..this does have the magnetic thingy ?
    There is one for sale new for $34.95 ($4 less) currently on eBay. Search under both "Pod" and "Dock" and you will find more listings. Yes, it uses the three prong magnetic charging port.
    Last edited by nextcity; 07-23-12 at 09:51 PM.
    ute likes this.
    07-23-12 09:43 PM
    The major objection to the stand is that it cannot be used with the PB in most fitted Cases. Taking the PB in and out of a fitted Case could be a pain. That is why a lot of us prefer the rapid travel charger available at about the same price on Amazon.
    ute likes this.
    07-24-12 12:42 AM
    The major objection to the stand is that it cannot be used with the PB in most fitted Cases. Taking the PB in and out of a fitted Case could be a pain. That is why a lot of us prefer the rapid travel charger available at about the same price on Amazon.
    Yeah. I gave up on that. Taking in and out uhhh. I gave my convertible case n the charging pod for my gf. I use the rapid charger instead. Now my gf is suffering my pain :d
    ute likes this.
    07-24-12 12:50 AM
    07-24-12 07:17 AM
    In my previous comment on the case interference with charging dock use I neglected to mention the Blurex Slim Leather Folio Case which opens up so as to allow placement on the charger . See pictures in Amazon where it is currently at about $20. Another drawback of the dock charger is that it covers up the HDMI and USB ports.
    ute likes this.
    07-25-12 10:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD