Hello guys and girls,

I have a question about the PlayBook. I use my PlayBook to take my payments with the Square credit card app sideloaded. It does work great but the only downside is that i have to manually enter in all my customers cards instead of swiping it. The reason why the Credit Card swiper does not work is because the PlayBook does not have a headphone jack that has a mic in line, it's just an audio out right now. If someone where to pop open the PB and swap out headphone jack ports do you think that would work? Or is there more to it then just swapping the port?

I was just thinking of ideas but maybe someone has already tried that here?

Thanks guys and girls in advance!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    02-02-15 08:23 AM
    The Playbook does have an input headphone jack, it does work with BlackBerry headset/mics.
    The Square Reader however uses software that doesn't work on BlackBerry devices.
    While you may get the Android version loaded on the Playbook, it doesn't have the supporting services needed for it to function fully enough to operate the card reader.
    02-02-15 09:53 AM
    I was under the impression it was the headphone jack that was the limiting "factor" to the PB no allowing the card reader to work.

So I guess now I'm at a dead end.

02-02-15 11:54 AM
    I was under the impression it was the headphone jack that was the limiting "factor" to the PB no allowing the card reader to work.

So I guess now I'm at a dead end.

Not really, I have used Square several times on a Q10 and my Passport!
    02-03-15 12:21 AM
    what do you mean not really? I have used the square app on my Q10 as well. However, i just got rid of my Q10 and went back to my 9780 for various reasons.

I'm not sure if there is a way to make the PB accept the reader but I was just thinking out loud.

02-03-15 12:31 AM
    Lots of people reply to questions in this section without realizing they are in the Playbook section. As you've figured out: the hardware is already there, so it's the software that doesn't work (sideloaded Android not working with the PB hardware). Unfortunately, that means you are stuck manually entering card info.
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    02-03-15 10:59 AM