Is there a way to change the file name of a video i downloaded to my playbook?
    08-06-11 10:48 AM
    Yes, download air browser and you will be able to rename files, but you will not be able to change extensions.
    08-06-11 11:14 AM
    Is there a way to change the file name of a video i downloaded to my playbook?
    There is also an app called "Easy File Renamer". It does what it says.
    08-06-11 02:02 PM
    Or hook up to Win's Explorer and change names that way (or mac equiv). Sometimes you might have to reboot/restart for the PB to see a new or changed file.
    08-06-11 02:06 PM
    It seems to me to be a no brainer to have one app that renames, adds tags,changes file extentions, et al. But no, just file names, why?
    08-06-11 02:42 PM
    Yes, download air browser and you will be able to rename files, but you will not be able to change extensions.
    The apps called 'File Browser' and 'My File Manager' allow extensions to be changed (not 'File Manager', which doesn't). Unlike 'Air Browser', none of these are free.
    08-06-11 02:45 PM
    ok..got it. Just connected my playbook to my computer and changed the name in windows
    08-06-11 03:21 PM
    ok..got it. Just connected my playbook to my computer and changed the name in windows
    You can also get to your PB files without connecting to your PC if both units are on the same wifi network.

In Explorer, go to \\(Your PBs IP address)\media. To find your IP address, go to Settings -> About and change to Network tab
    08-06-11 03:31 PM
    Despite following various advice on this subject I've never been successful. Editing filenames within Windows - no problem. But editing the actual name presented in the video folder on the Playbook just didn't want to work despite seeming a simple procedure.The penny having finally dropped regarding the Playbook 'filename' being the title presented within the video itself and not a filename as such, I attacked the 'properties' panel. From Windows, and editing the 'Title' wihin the 'properties' panel of the Playbook folder display via cable link or local wi/fi network, resulted in Explorer collapsing after 30secs or so with never a success. I therefore arrived at the conclusion that editing the title prior to transfering the file to the Playbook was my only and 100% means of success. I now have a library of videos with my choice of title . Playbooks seem to be enjoying a modest revival in the second user market presently, and I hope this helps many who have been putting up with crazy listings.
    09-03-14 10:16 AM
    Ghost Commander has a Rename control so, I just tried it and it worked so, it can be done right on the PB. I use it to rename files downloaded often but had never tried changing an extension.

Hope this helps. The app is free in App World and seems to be the best file manager or at least the most complete. Tiny File Commander likewise has a Rename function but when used requires you type in a full file name and not just edit the existing as File Commander does.
    09-04-14 04:24 AM
    That's not really what the OP was talking about. The Playbook's Video and Music players don't really read file names, they read a files tags (for vids, it will read the file name if there are no tags). So changing a files name will not change the files name in the Music or Video player (unless there are no tags). While it is possible to change tags for mp3's directly on the Playbook, this, AFAIK, is not possible with vids. That's why the poster before you said he changes video tags on his PC before transferring to his PB.
    09-04-14 07:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD