Video store, new DocstoGo, new interface (Android like panels), I'm forgetting something.... but so far so good..

Now the UI. Looks great so far.

Also, BB Balance which looks well done, File Manager, TAT platform...

Looks like a printing function (My Printouts)...
    Last edited by jonty12; 10-18-11 at 11:33 AM.
    10-18-11 11:18 AM
    What I like so far, is how easy they are trying to make it for developers, some of these apps look amazing if they come out!
    The power of the Playbook has not been fully realised I suspect.
    10-18-11 11:22 AM
    Whats the new UI? All I've seen from the live blog pics is they made 1 less icon on the main icon tab and adjusted the alignment?
    10-18-11 11:49 AM
    they were using OS 2.0 in the demonstrations!
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-18-11 11:50 AM
    Whats the new UI? All I've seen from the live blog pics is they made 1 less icon on the main icon tab and adjusted the alignment?
    Tabs are gone. Now they have Android-like "dots" on the top with scrolling panels. It also looks like you can "pin" certain apps at the top of the panel.

Hopefully TAT's influence will be felt in the actual native app UIs as well.
    10-18-11 11:53 AM
    Well, its a revamped UI. Its still early...there should be lots more to come.
    10-18-11 11:53 AM
    They also confirmed that people are "App Hungry". Mass amounts of native coded apps coming?
    10-18-11 11:57 AM
    Yeah, too bad they arn't talking about it! And now Mike is gone... If that's all we're getting for bbx (os2) then the backlash is going to be huge - and justifiably so.
    lovemyplaybook and morfy50 like this.
    10-18-11 11:57 AM
    Yeah, too bad they arn't talking about it! And now Mike is gone... If that's all we're getting for bbx (os2) then the backlash is going to be huge - and justifiably so.
    Oh holy cow lets hope that isnt "it"....

bbm fully implemented?
    sms/mms bridge????
    native apps???

Oh i will stay clear until this digests... it will be the third world war of forums in here...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-11 12:01 PM
    im sure there is more stuff coming. Still no devices other than a PB demoed.
    10-18-11 12:02 PM
    If that's all we're getting for bbx (os2) then the backlash is going to be huge - and justifiably so.
    This is the general keynote, wtf are you on about, backlash?

Sheesh another 2 days to go and some people are getting all uppity.

And there it was, BBX will be coming... for now its BB OS 2.0 beta.
    Last edited by QuantumFish777; 10-18-11 at 12:04 PM.
    jesse_h likes this.
    10-18-11 12:02 PM

It is because they are familiar with rim.

They remember devcon years back when we were all hungry for cutting edge devices with iphones and droids pouring into the market and all Balsillie had to leave us with was a curve and bold repainted white!

The biggest homeruns should have been knocked out of the part first thing.

10-18-11 12:06 PM
    They just mentioned that they will be talking about OS 2.0 later.
    10-18-11 12:12 PM

And there it was, BBX will be coming... for now its BB OS 2.0 beta.
    Do you seriously think that if this is all we get regarding 2.0 in the keynote the media, bloggers, etc. won't have updates within fifteen mimutes of the keynotes ending crying that we were promissed 2.0 and QNX demos and all we got was a guy from adobe saying developers can download a beta without any of the end user functions to test their apps? And I won't blame them either.

The keynote is called the keynote for a reason. It's the big deal, where the big deal items are unveiled.
    Shlooky and morfy50 like this.
    10-18-11 12:17 PM
    They just mentioned that they will be talking about OS 2.0 later.

Excellent, thanks anasiophan.
    jesse_h likes this.
    10-18-11 12:19 PM
    Do you seriously think that if this is all we get regarding 2.0 in the keynote the media, bloggers, etc. won't have updates within fifteen mimutes of the keynotes ending crying that we were promissed 2.0 and QNX demos and all we got was a guy from adobe saying developers can download a beta without any of the end user functions to test their apps? And I won't blame them either.

The keynote is called the keynote for a reason. It's the big deal, where the big deal items are unveiled.
    Well i am staying optimistic, as much as i can, but holy cow the backlash if this is "all"... almost not one single change long sought after by the community at large was addressed.

We will see.

I may be shorting rim stock on Oct 21 at this rate... it you think rimm dropping into the mid 20's is bad, you aint seen noth'n yet!

10-18-11 12:26 PM
    Hopefully more coming in the 2nd technical session of the Keynote. Where is the Cyclone (BB TV), when will BBX for Playbook be available, etc.? If they don't show off a developer BBX phone then did the mislead again per the last conference call comments? I have to say that while things look cool (not sure I like that tabs are gone), its still vaporware like most of the features we have been waiting on.
    10-18-11 12:26 PM
    Well i am staying optimistic, as much as i can, but holy cow the backlash if this is "all"... almost not one single change long sought after by the community at large was addressed.

We will see.
    [/i]

Exactly. I'm saying that I hope to see a lot more before this keynote is over, otherwise the pr would not be good for RIM - and they'd deserve it.
    10-18-11 12:33 PM
    I saw a Cut the Rope icon in a pic of AppWorld.
    10-18-11 12:44 PM
    I saw a Cut the Rope icon in a pic of AppWorld.
    oh goodie! More Games!!!
    10-18-11 12:47 PM
    From the description of the Dev OS 2.0 Beta which says "This version of OS 2.0 does not contain end user features such as: email, calendar contacts, video store, etc" so sounds to me like native email, contacts, etc is coming.
    10-18-11 12:50 PM
    What I like so far, is how easy they are trying to make it for developers, some of these apps look amazing if they come out!
    The power of the Playbook has not been fully realised I suspect.
    They released a native C/C++ SDK for developers, which basically opens up porting possibilities for a huge cache of existing libraries and applications to the Playbook.

One gaming company demoed a few robust games that they've already ported over and said they would have around 30 out in the next 60 days.

Looks like they've put a lot of work into the developer side of things, which might seem like a let-down to non-developers, but in reality it kicks the door wide open to the developer community to begin porting existing libraries and apps. In other words, takes things out of RIMs hands and puts them into the hands of the developer community.

They are also correctly hanging a heavy hat on HTML5. HTML5 brings robust animation capabilities to the browser, meaning that the future may see a slide away from the old paradigm of native apps to a fuller, richer, animated experience right in the browser. To do that, the browser has to be HTML5 compliant, which the Playbook browser already is.
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    10-18-11 01:52 PM
    Many great things shown so far and it's all demoed on the Playbook.

Wow, presenters are stressing quality and seamless experiences for the user - lag is not good

Strategy - Day 1 for developers (what can I do for you), Day 2 is for the peeps (OS2 and QNX phones)
    Last edited by anthogag; 10-18-11 at 03:55 PM.
    10-18-11 03:52 PM
    Patience grasshoppers. This conference is for developers, not end users.
    10-18-11 04:11 PM
    I really hope they haven't got rid of the tabs! I think having a tab at the top makes it a lot easier to move between screens. I constantly touch the tab to move between my different screens, to remember which of the dots does what will be a step back in my opinion.

10-18-11 04:23 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD