So I recently bought I Playbook. I have downloaded many pdfs and they are all fine, and open normally and it's great. But, I just tried to download one from the OCR exam board website. It said download is complete, so I go to open the file as I always do and it opens, but the screen is grey and there is a little thing that says 1/0 in the bottom left of the screen... no error message comes up.

What do I do? This was the whole reason I bought a playbook!
    04-04-13 09:24 AM
    The stock 'Adobe Reader' app is very mediocre and not at all normal. It is literally useless, atleast to me. But there are some great alternatives.
    1) 'PDF Reader' by Sporadic Software. You need to buy this app from appworld. It costs only .99 cents, a steal at this price. Great app. Handles any pdf file. Even larger ones over 300 MB.
    2) if you're comfortable with sideloading, 'RepliGo reader' is a way to go. Though, not as fast and as smooth as 'PDF Reader' app, it still serves its purpose..
    04-04-13 09:31 AM
    Is it an encrypted or password protected PDF by any chance? The stock Adobe Reader can't handle those at all. My PMBOK PDF wouldn't open at all. Like adadadadad said, your best bet is going to be PDF Reader. It's been one of the best investments I've made on my PlayBook, and it's had several updates to fix issues as they've come up.
    04-04-13 09:39 AM
    I had the same problem with a few PDFs and PDF Reader, as suggested, fixed it for me. Hopefully you can get this sorted out as well.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    04-04-13 09:40 AM
    This is really getting on my nerves! Turns out it only seems to be the pdfs from teh ocr website that don't work. I've tried other websites and they work fine. URgghhhh!! I'm doing maths with ocr and chemistry, and those were the two subjects I really needed the playbook for!! WTF! I download qPDF but the PDFs still download into adobe reader and not qPDF...
    04-04-13 09:59 AM
    I don't have PDF Reader, but the PDFs you downloaded don't "download" into any app, they get downloaded probably to your "Download" folder- accounts/1000/shared/downloads. Open PDF Reader and try using it to navigate to and open the PDF in question.
    04-04-13 10:04 AM
    This is really getting on my nerves! Turns out it only seems to be the pdfs from teh ocr website that don't work. I've tried other websites and they work fine. URgghhhh!! I'm doing maths with ocr and chemistry, and those were the two subjects I really needed the playbook for!! WTF! I download qPDF but the PDFs still download into adobe reader and not qPDF...
    qPDF is buggy, or that's what i've observed. As Pacoman says, your downloaded PDFs can be found in the 'shared/dowload' folder. Dowload 'Air Browser' file manager from appworld. And i recommend buying 'PDF Reader' app for smooth and seamless PDF viewing experience. It will be worth it.
    04-04-13 10:42 AM
    Sorry. I just saw you installed qPDF, not PDF Reader. In qPDF, tap on the folder icon towards the top right of the screen and then tap open.. Then, on the screen that appears, tap "up a level", then "shared", then "downloads". The file you downloaded should be in here- tap on it and it should open.
    04-04-13 10:53 AM
    WTF! I download qPDF but the PDFs still download into adobe reader and not qPDF...
    Not sure how you're opening the file, but generally it's not possible to change the default program for opening a file. Therefore your best bet is to browse to the file from within whatever PDF viewer you want to use as suggested by other posters.
    ETA: Just checked and Ghost Commander will give you the option of which compatible program to open the file with.
    04-04-13 05:55 PM
    ETA: Just checked and Ghost Commander will give you the option of which compatible program to open the file with.
    Actually, Ghost Commander will give you the option to open files with either the default native app or any android apps that you've installed that can open the file. In simpler terms, it won't let you open PDFs in any native PDF readers other than Adobe Reader.
    rmpb likes this.
    04-04-13 09:43 PM