So while I'm waiting for Netflix or Amazon to get its act together on a movie app for the PB, I decided to make my first attempt at ripping DVDs I own onto the PB. After a little research, I bought DVD Catalyst ($10 at DVD Catalyst 4 | DVD and MKV to Galaxy Tab, Iconica, iPad2, NOOK, Playbook, Transformer, Xoom and more.) and was amazed at the smoothness of the process. The software converts DVDs with preconfigures settings for the PB (and a bunch of other formats). Press one button to go to your computer, sync to the PB, and you're done, and the video looks great on the PB.

The Beta version will do BluRays, so long as you use one of the other programs (AnyDVD HD, DVDFab Passkey, or MakeMKV) to break the security protection (and I haven't tried it yet), but for DVDs, I'm very impressed with the product.

So for anyone holding back on PB video, don't. Still waiting for a rental alternative, though.
    Last edited by jsfalk; 06-17-11 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Link error
    dvdcatalyst and padamssm like this.
    06-17-11 09:19 AM
    And now I've ripped a BluRay. The process takes longer, but the result is outstanding, and the required effort (as opposed to time) is minimal.
    dvdcatalyst likes this.
    06-17-11 02:10 PM
    Nice. Thanks for the link!
    06-17-11 05:50 PM
    i agree. i bought dvd catalyst last weekend and have put movies on my PB, the wife's nook tablet, the kids's itouch's and my bold 9000. It's sooo easy to rip and convert dvd's--- pick the device from the menu, press 'start' and you're done.
    02-09-12 07:22 PM
    what is the length of time from start to finish?
    02-09-12 10:04 PM
    For PB converts, I've found it takes about as long to convert as it does to watch. Might be faster with a newer laptop. Catalyst tells you how long it will take to convert once it gets started. It's a good app.
    02-10-12 12:21 AM
    I've used Aimersoft DVD Ripper for several years and been happy with it but for some reason tonight it wouldn't work with a DVD I want to rip for the PB. I saw this thread and checked out Catalyst. It appears thoroughly documented. I downloaded it and am impressed with its options and ease-of-use. It's ripping now. Thanks for the post!
    02-10-12 01:11 AM
    yea this is pretty cool. there was a thread a couple days/week ago about someone wanteing to boost the volume of their videos and this has that option... it also saves a lot of space!!!

it brought a 750mb file to just over 500mb... that means a lot if you have a 16GB version, or if you have the bigger versions but are going on a long trip!
    02-10-12 01:19 AM
    About 30 minutes, depending on the length of the DVD.
    02-10-12 05:26 AM
    Man I love that program. I bought it last year and it was the best 10 bucks I ever spent. Two steps pick the device and hit go. Done.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    anon(2254645) likes this.
    02-10-12 05:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD