Hi, i was wondering if the cascades UI that was showed at DevCon will be avaliable when the update is released, also does anybody know if the playbook will be made USB OTG? if so does this mean we will be able to plug in external DVD drives?

Thanks
    12-31-11 06:16 AM
    Hi, i was wondering if the cascades UI that was showed at DevCon will be avaliable when the update is released, also does anybody know if the playbook will be made USB OTG? if so does this mean we will be able to plug in external DVD drives?

Thanks
    Its proved that usb host function can be added to the playbook, thanks to the dingleberry hack. But is RIM gonna introduce the usb feature, as this would severely affect the sales of 32-64 gb versions.
    12-31-11 06:42 AM
    They said that the beta version is going to be available "Late 2011". Still nothing.
    12-31-11 06:44 AM
    as someone with a 32 gb version i'd still welcome usb host. i've had mine for just over a month now and i am already down to 6 gb free. movies, music and podcasts take up a lot of space. i'd like to at least be able to connect an sd card adapter and have another 32 gb or more available for file storage. problem is the usb connector is in the completely wrong spot to leave something connected and have the tablet still usable. try lying down and using the thing on your chest with a dongle attached.
    12-31-11 06:49 AM
    thanks. .
    12-31-11 07:35 AM
    try lying down and using the thing on your chest with a dongle attached.
    Try turning the screen 180 degrees , that's what i do when i've got USB or HDMI attached

I'd love USB host to be implemented , then the Canon Dslr app to me made available for blackberry so i can use the Playbook to control the camera and do Live View .
    12-31-11 07:43 AM
    Try turning the screen 180 degrees , that's what i do when i've got USB or HDMI attached

I'd love USB host to be implemented , then the Canon Dslr app to me made available for blackberry so i can use the Playbook to control the camera and do Live View .
    agreed, canon software would be nice like ios' onOne app. or just have the camera tethered. wishful thinking for me too.
    12-31-11 08:32 AM
    Cascades is expected to be in closed beta very shortly, within a couple of weeks. Open beta is expected to follow, presumably just before 2.0 is out. Final release was never expected before April or so but that's probably moot.

The OTG stuff is not as simple as some people think. You can't merely "add OTG support" and have it magically work with everything: mass storage devices, cameras, serial devices, Ethernet adapters. Each class of device needs driver support, and since you could have hubs and things allowing multiple items together, they need to work on multiplexing, security, management, configuration, and so on to bring it all together in usable form. This is entirely non-trivial to do, which is why it's not here yet in shippable form.

RIM clearly isn't holding off on this merely because of concerns about reducing sales of the 32GB and 64GB units... the work done with Dingleberry to "prove that usb host function can be added" .... well, that's misleading. RIM did all the real work there, and the fellow who showed off host mode was basically just running a driver or two that's already in there to get things going. RIM wouldn't be implementing all that stuff if they didn't intend to release it at some point, I would think.

Anyway, to answer the OP: they've said absolutely nothing official, so you're asking for speculation. The belief, however, is that 2.0 will have at least some OTG-related features, possibly mass storage but also very likely Ethernet adapter support to allow hard-wired network connections (mainly for enterprise customers). Other things are expected at some point, either at release or following, including generic serial devices.
    12-31-11 09:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD