Ya'll use geak speak too much for us average readers.
    Simplified....

BB10 and Cascades = Good!

Any BB or PlayBook operating system before BB10 and Cascades = Not as good!
    05-19-12 11:15 AM
    Simplified....

BB10 and Cascades = Good!

Any BB or PlayBook operating system before BB10 and Cascades = Not as good!
    Not even close to simplified from what I said

Pre BB10 devices that look like cascades, = most likely HTML 5

Cascades != work on PlayBook OS2 as it stands now
    05-19-12 11:24 AM
    Not even close to simplified from what I said

Pre BB10 devices that look like cascades, = most likely HTML 5

Cascades != work on PlayBook OS2 as it stands now
    LOL, I tried!
    05-19-12 11:32 AM
    Ok thanks for clearing that up for me

Sent from my BlackBerry Curve 8520 using Crackberry Forum App
    05-19-12 05:21 PM
    Even though the thread turned out to be wrong, I would like to congratulate the OP for their (intentional or not) beautiful Shakespeare reference in the thread title.
    Cancross likes this.
    05-19-12 05:27 PM
    Any word on background services on the Alpha build? Thanks.
    05-19-12 05:46 PM
    We asked this question after the session on the notification framework, and the speaker said they were working on a strategy for third party services. It makes sense the notification piece should be finished first, and that bit is still very much in active development as of the Orlando show.
    mithrazor and kennyliu like this.
    05-19-12 06:53 PM
    Is the transition when swiping through pictures on the pb cacades?

See how the pictures overlap as you slowly swipe to the next one.
    05-19-12 06:54 PM
    Wasn't the Pacemaker app written in Cascades for the Playbook, and i believe they said it would be available in the summer.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvfuyhOlijw[/YT]
    05-19-12 08:35 PM
    Wasn't the Pacemaker app written in Cascades for the Playbook, and i believe they said it would be available in the summer.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvfuyhOlijw[/YT]
    05-19-12 08:36 PM
    On the Alpha there's no change.

There was talk of how the Push capabilities will actually involve the push service on the BB10 device being able to invoke apps through the new Invocation Framework, but they still don't have a background capability figured out.

I no longer expect to see anything in this area as part of the BB10 launch, though that could change over the summer.
    kennyliu likes this.
    05-19-12 09:29 PM
    On the Alpha there's no change.

There was talk of how the Push capabilities will actually involve the push service on the BB10 device being able to invoke apps through the new Invocation Framework, but they still don't have a background capability figured out.

I no longer expect to see anything in this area as part of the BB10 launch, though that could change over the summer.
    Too bad. Without background services/notifications, some apps don't really have much value added over webistes (e.g. IM+, Facebook, third party todo lists and organizers, calendars, email clients, stuff like Pandora, etc.).

I have my fingers crossed though
    Last edited by kennyliu; 05-19-12 at 09:40 PM.
    peter9477 likes this.
    05-19-12 09:37 PM
    Is the transition when swiping through pictures on the pb cacades?

See how the pictures overlap as you slowly swipe to the next one.
    Pictures, and several other system apps such as Calculator (use menu to change between modes to see the transitions), are an older version of Cascades.

That version is of no real interest though, as it will never be released or used again (from the looks of things).

The new Cascades (version 4 apparently) is built on Qt and will have significant additional functionality. This is the one that we're all waiting for, and in case it wasn't clear yet it is not on the PlayBook and may not be until BB10 is on the PlayBook.

It's remotely possible we'll see a developer beta for the PlayBook with the basic libraries for this Cascades, but I can guarantee if we do it will be about as stripped down as the Alpha is, and of no interest to almost any of the regular users who tried the 2.0 beta. (No apps, no App World, even the Settings menu in the browser is disabled...)
    app_Developer likes this.
    05-19-12 09:39 PM
    Too bad. Without background services/notifications, some apps don't really have much value added over webistes (e.g. IM+, Facebook, third party todo lists and organizers, calendars, email clients, stuff like Pandora, etc.).

I have my fingers crossed though
    Luckily the native clients in BB10 will have this covered, but I see what you mean for 3rd party apps.

From what I read on the dev forums they're worried about efficiency and power usage.
    kennyliu likes this.
    05-19-12 09:49 PM
    Luckily the native clients in BB10 will have this covered, but I see what you mean for 3rd party apps.

From what I read on the dev forums they're worried about efficiency and power usage.
    If they did indeed worry about efficiency and power usage, wouldn't they want to allow background services as those are less power/resource intensive than minimized apps with GUI windows active?
    05-19-12 09:52 PM
    I thought I read on here that a form of cascades would be coming in PBOS 2.1? At least I could have sworn I read it somewhere on here.
    05-19-12 11:19 PM
    I thought I read on here that a form of cascades would be coming in PBOS 2.1? At least I could have sworn I read it somewhere on here.
    You probably did read it, but I don't believe anyone has a credible source for that. Until there's more than just a "my sources tell me" (seeing a bunch of those lately), I'd consider it the purest type of speculation...

I very much doubt it will happen, as every sign at BB10 Jam was at the time pointing towards the Cascades libraries NOT being available for the PlayBook until BB10. It's possible they're considering some sort of last-minute addition to put those in, but I'd expect that only in a developer beta, not in the main update itself.

I also think they don't actually want users running anything that really looks like the latest Cascades until BB10 is out.
    app_Developer and kennyliu like this.
    05-20-12 08:17 PM
    You probably did read it, but I don't believe anyone has a credible source for that. Until there's more than just a "my sources tell me" (seeing a bunch of those lately), I'd consider it the purest type of speculation...

I very much doubt it will happen, as every sign at BB10 Jam was at the time pointing towards the Cascades libraries NOT being available for the PlayBook until BB10. It's possible they're considering some sort of last-minute addition to put those in, but I'd expect that only in a developer beta, not in the main update itself.

I also think they don't actually want users running anything that really looks like the latest Cascades until BB10 is out.
    Thanks for this comment.

Peter, I was wondering if anybody asked how different phone BB10 UI will be from the tablet version. If the difference is going to be considerable, will developers have to optimize their apps to run on these two types of devices?
    05-20-12 08:23 PM
    I think the difference won't affect apps. Judging by what I've seen it's mostly the navigator/launcher.
    kennyliu likes this.
    05-20-12 09:18 PM
    I think the difference won't affect apps. Judging by what I've seen it's mostly the navigator/launcher.
    I was just thinking that the focus was on a UI optimized for one hand operation (e.g. the Flow and the lower control panel, the right messages/status panel), which is a noticeable departure from the PBOS UI. I was thinking if developers will have to follow some guidelines in that respect.
    05-20-12 09:44 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD