Ok,

So I own a PB that I bought in North America. I just moved to Norway (they use a common Euro type plug and power system).

North America uses the 110/120 volt, 2 or 3 prong outlets, that are thin and rectangle in shape. In Norway (and Europe) they use the larger 2 prong circular plugs for the 220/240 volt power system.

Since my wall charger is from North America (and the fact that the usb cord only maintains the current charge level and does NOT charge the PB when plugged into a PC) I wanted to be safe and I was using a travel adapter and plugged the PB charger into the travel adapter (that converts the power from 220 to 110) to charge the battery in my PB.

I left the PB turned on and plugged in for about 30 min and went back. I picked it up and when I was just about the touch the screen to move the icons to find the app I wanted to open, the screen flipped through the apps on its own when my hand was still about 5 cm (about 2 in) above the screen. It opened an app on its own. I went to swipe the app closed, but the app went small, the PB flipped through the app screens again without me touching it but only having my hand near the screen and it opened another app. I heard clicking in the app that was open (like when you touch the screen and that action does not do anything some apps have sounds to let you know your action does not do anything).

I swiped up to close that new app and the PB flipped through all the open apps, then down to the app selection area, opened ANOTHER app and did the same.

I first thought since I left the PB out in the sun and the screen was very very warm that it was the hot screen causing the issues. I unplugged it and moved it away from the window. After an hour I went back and it was ok again.

I then plugged it back into the travel adapter/charger again and the screen started moving again when my hand was only hovering over the screen and it started opening apps on its own again.

I determined that the travel adapter / voltage converter was some how causing the issue. Maybe the power it was sending to the PB was unstable in some way.

I know the PB wall adapter states on it you can plug it directly into either a 110 or 220 outlet, but as I said I wanted to be safe and used a voltage converter as well and it seems that might not be the best thing.

From now on I have to charge it when it is off, unless someone out there thinks I can plug the North America plug direct into the 220 Euro outlet with a plug adapter and not a voltage converter?
    08-15-11 07:11 PM
    Yes you can plug the north american charger into a 220 outlet.
    I purchased my pb in Canada and live in the UK.

If you look on the charger you should see an input range of something like 100-240
    08-15-11 07:15 PM
    ... (and the fact that the usb cord only maintains the current charge level and does NOT charge the PB when plugged into a PC)
    Off-topic: I want to point out for anyone who may be in a tight spot, that you actually can charge using the USB port on a PC, but it's quite slow, and the tablet has to be idle and sleeping for that to work.

If it's on, or even doing much of anything, it will consume more power than the USB port can source. If it's sleeping, however, you should be able to charge from an empty battery in approximately 12 hours.
    08-15-11 07:19 PM
    Any chance you had your phone right next to it while it was doing these funky things? Seems certain emf noise around it causes the touchscreen to go crazy, like your phone when it's communicating with the tower. Or perhaps that converter you were using is very poorly shielded and was giving off a large amount of noise. (RF kind, not audible)

There's quite a few people here that have posted that their Playbook is possessed and 9 times out of 10 someone has had their phone right next to it when it was happening.
    togardergrosse likes this.
    08-15-11 07:32 PM
    I think the initial error was using a POWER CONVERTER. The ac adapter is designed for use with US or European power when you ONLY use the plug-shape-prong adapter. No current/voltage/amps/watts converter should be in the mix.
    08-15-11 09:16 PM
    (and the fact that the usb cord only maintains the current charge level and does NOT charge the PB when plugged into a PC)
    it actually does charge it, but it takes FOREVER and you have to leave your playbook in standby mode because if you have the screen on it draws power faster than it can be replenished.

docking station and/or rapid charger ftw.
    08-15-11 11:11 PM
    Are you sure you didn't pick up super or at least psychosomatic powers that allow you to control the PB with your mind and a hand wave?
    08-16-11 03:08 AM
    I use a 12VDC to 110 VAC converter in my car with no problems, so far...just FYI
    08-16-11 04:46 AM
    OP,
    Check the earthing system of your house.
    Earth Leakage can make the touch screens do freaky stuff.
    The thing would have gone away if you unplug the PB.
    The charger provided with the PB is travel. I got mine from USA and am using it India, where the Voltage is 220v, and I have not had the problems you described.
    08-16-11 05:36 AM
    so to follow up on this, there is no need to buy the "BlackBerry PlayBook High Capacity International Charger" for traveling? This product is essentially the standard charger with the only added feature being interchangeable outlet adapters, right?

Headed to Singapore next week and Europe the following month and don't want to fry my favorite electronic device. My Storm's charger (as a worldphone) comes with the international plug adapters but want to check on the PB.

Thanks all!

Amazon.com: BlackBerry Playbook High Capacity International Charger 5V 2A: Electronics
    08-28-11 07:40 PM
    The included PB wall adapter is universal, you just need to get the adapter that converts the North American plug to whatever socket the country you are in uses. It's as simple as that.
    08-28-11 08:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD