While looking at all of the leaked pics of upcoming functionality, I began to wonder what the size of the 2.0 OS will be. On my 16gb Playbook, I currently have 6.7gb available. I wonder what I'll have left after the update. Add to this additional storage for PIM and Android apps and I think you have a very good argument for getting the 32gb Playbook (at the very least).

Now, instead of wishing for the new functionality, I'm thinking that it would have been nice to have an SD slot on the Playbook.
    08-26-11 05:05 PM
    Maybe OS 2.0 will bring that also...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    AbsoluteT23 likes this.
    08-26-11 05:09 PM
    I wouldn't worry about it.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-26-11 05:12 PM
    While looking at all of the leaked pics of upcoming functionality, I began to wonder what the size of the 2.0 OS will be. On my 16gb Playbook, I currently have 6.7gb available. I wonder what I'll have left after the update. Add to this additional storage for PIM and Android apps and I think you have a very good argument for getting the 32gb Playbook (at the very least).

Now, instead of wishing for the new functionality, I'm thinking that it would have been nice to have an SD slot on the Playbook.
    And an even better argument for 64. We told you guys. JK

Other than some added features, it seems most of the OS updates just over-write the old one with minimal increase in size. You should be ok. Plus we're still hoping/expecting for USB OTG for added storage.
    08-26-11 05:17 PM
    nah i dont think is such a headache a 32Gb PB is enough for space and OS
    08-26-11 05:30 PM
    I don't believe the OS uses the storage space (16, 32, 64gb). It uses the 1gb of ram.
    08-26-11 05:56 PM
    I don't believe the OS uses the storage space (16, 32, 64gb). It uses the 1gb of ram.
    My assumption was that it did occupy some of the hard drive space as out of the box, not all of the 32GB was available. But I think this is taking worrying over nothing to a new level..the updates were all under 1GB so I can't imagine it being much bigger than that. Relax and let's wait for it since that's the only way to know how much space requirements are needed.

08-26-11 06:04 PM
    If you store the OS in RAM (which is volatile), it disappears once you lose power. Therefore, it seems unlikely that the PlayBook OS is stored entirely in RAM.
    08-26-11 06:13 PM
    I'm thinking they meant ROM?
    08-26-11 06:57 PM
    Are you guys sure there isn't a 1GB ROM? It would explain a lot I think.
    Though, this OS may need more than 1GB with this 2.0 update.

The /lib is already around 300MB
    08-26-11 07:55 PM
    Maybe OS 2.0 will bring that also...

Too damn funny !!!
    08-26-11 08:37 PM
    I'm not worried about the size of the updates. But I do now wish I got the 32gb. I can see the 16gb being a christmas present for the wife
    08-27-11 01:28 PM
    What if the new update allows for the speedy bridging of ALL files like MP3's and JPGs. Then you can store everything on your removable GB on your smartphone and leave the PlayBook apps and OS.

Already we're now able to view JPG's via bridge (albeit slow).
    08-27-11 01:35 PM
    It's probably setup just like the iPad / iPhone. The current iPad and iPhone OS is about 700.00 mb's. Anyway, there are two partitions. One for downloaded apps and all media and the other, I think 1gb worth, is for the system. Nothing is saved in RAM. Data is just loaded into the RAM from the "hard drive" and provides easy and quick access. The amount of RAM used constantly changes based on what and how many programs are open at once.

If you want to talk about large programs. Navigon GPS download is 1.89 gb's!
    Last edited by lavrishevo; 08-27-11 at 03:13 PM.
    08-27-11 03:09 PM
    That's probably why they introduced the incremental thing - in preparation for 2.0 with all the added goodies! Won't be half as huge a download then! When I was at Best Buy 3 months ago, my full intention was just to get a 16GB unit, because of finances. It occurred to me that it would be better to have some breathing space rather than regret it - so my credit card took the hit - I got a 32GB and I haven't regretted it!
    08-27-11 06:51 PM
    Too damn funny !!!
    you never know, maybe next update will cause massive amounts of heat in a centralized area & cause a small slot to burn through the side of the Playbook
    08-27-11 08:36 PM
    I guess I would like to know - is bluetooth fast enough to actually transmit audio and/or video at speeds sufficient to allow Bridge to play stuff stored on a bb phone on the pb? It is pretty slow at just showing pictures from the phone on the pb - amazing, but still slow.
    08-27-11 09:08 PM
    Personally not that concerned with the storage, but with the RAM. New functionalities will require more, and reasonable question is how RAM hungry it will be, which directly will have impact on device performance.

The point is you ever can upgrade to 32 or 64, but if the performance of the device start to suck, whats the point then.
    08-28-11 02:54 AM
    Personally not that concerned with the storage, but with the RAM. New functionalities will require more, and reasonable question is how RAM hungry it will be, which directly will have impact on device performance.

The point is you ever can upgrade to 32 or 64, but if the performance of the device start to suck, whats the point then.
    right RAM is alraedy in the low end once you start up a few programs but hopefully the native apps dont add much to that
    08-28-11 04:58 AM
    right RAM is alraedy in the low end once you start up a few programs but hopefully the native apps dont add much to that
    If the phones can do all this and more with half of what the PlayBook has we should be fine... Lets hope Qnx is being optomised...

08-28-11 05:03 AM
    as long as they arent running in some emulator like what we saw a couple months ago it should be just fine.
    08-28-11 05:23 AM
    I guess I would like to know - is bluetooth fast enough to actually transmit audio and/or video at speeds sufficient to allow Bridge to play stuff stored on a bb phone on the pb? It is pretty slow at just showing pictures from the phone on the pb - amazing, but still slow.
    Not sure about videos, but you would hope audio at least.

Using my Storm 9530 with a 16 GB card as the source, It's been paired and streams stereo audio to:

1) Jabra headset - BT3030
    2) BlackBerry Visor Mount Speakerphone VM-605 - which also has a FM transmitter that then streams the audio thru the vehicle's audio system.
    3) My latest vehicle with U-connect, which even identifies my storm as the audio source.

Been very happy with the results, even #2, though there is some static from the fm. But no noticeable lag playing music, reasonable clarity and just a few drop outs. Overall, sounds good.

Waiting for the A2DP update for the playbook.

The Bridge shouldn't even come into the equation. Since none of my devices are Bridged, just paired and they all work. Any make of phone should be able to stream music to the playbook once paired. Need that A2DP
    Last edited by frfghtr; 08-28-11 at 10:57 AM. Reason: added comment
    08-28-11 10:39 AM
    Yes. Bluetooth is actually rather fast. Think of it like this. Have you ever streamed video over your WiFi network using the playbook? Then bluetooth should be fine too IMO(it just has a shorter range, not a slower speed)
    08-28-11 03:33 PM
    BT is not even close to wifi speeds. do a speed test on wifi and then via tether and the bridge. you have a ****ty wifi connection if they are similar
    08-28-11 05:26 PM
    This was my rationale: 16GB $500. 32GB $600. 64 GB $700. The 16 GB increase for $100 is weak. Then, some people think- another 32 for $100, pretty good. I thought, 48GB for $200- makes sense. Went with the 64 and very glad I did. Lots of vids and music.

08-28-11 05:37 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD