@F2 hi, sorry to ask again, cant seem to find the item code in CB Shop. Is it an item of CB shop?
    06-15-12 07:43 PM
    Sorry, NO, I purchased it at an AT&T phone store for $10.00

CB might have something similar.
    06-15-12 08:34 PM
    as long as the charger has a usb port, it should work with no problems. if it can be used to charge the ipad, am pretty sure it can charge the PlayBook.

am thinking about purchasing this charger as well. thank you for sharing
    Careful here. The usb charger that charges an iPad will not charge the pb or 9900. Device says not proper charger. I hear you need a charge only usb cable but have not tried it.
    06-16-12 01:42 AM
    Just to add my 2 cents to this thread. As others have said, a USB charging cable is required, the standard cable that comes with the PlayBook will not work. I purchased a single port 2.1A USB car charger from Monoprice and modified a standard Micro USB cable to a charging cable. I now have a working car charger for the PlayBook that Battery Guru detects as a USB wall charger. When it is plugged in, the battery icon shows the charging symbol.

Disclaimer: Should you choose to follow in my footsteps and do the same, then you acknowledge and assume all responsibility. I take no responsibility whatsoever, should any damage occur to anything living or dead, factual or fictitious, solid, liquid or gas and anything else that may or may not exist.
    06-17-12 10:12 PM
    Just to add my 2 cents to this thread. As others have said, a USB charging cable is required, the standard cable that comes with the PlayBook will not work...
    I don't know what you mean by this, but as many others have posted here and elsewhere, the PB charges quite happily -- if more slowly than via a wall charger -- when plugged into a USB 2.0 port on a PC or laptop. And of course, the standard USB cable that came with the PB will do perfectly well here.
    06-18-12 12:46 PM
    Mine chargers with my torch car charger as long as it is in standby.
    06-18-12 12:50 PM
    I don't know what you mean by this, but as many others have posted here and elsewhere, the PB charges quite happily -- if more slowly than via a wall charger -- when plugged into a USB 2.0 port on a PC or laptop. And of course, the standard USB cable that came with the PB will do perfectly well here.
    I think what you are missing is a PC port is intelligent and the PlayBook knows what it is plugged into. The generic cigarette lighter to USB port adapters are dumb and do not communicate to the PlayBook, so a charge only cable is needed so the PlayBook knows it is a charge source.

I bet the new proper BlackBerry Brand premium charger with usb port is wired properly to use with the PlayBook and the normal USB cable the PlayBook ships with. From the description on the shopCrackberry listing, it is 1.8amp and made for the PlayBook and Phones.

Last edited by robsteve; 06-18-12 at 03:26 PM.
    06-18-12 03:23 PM
    I think what you are missing is a PC port is intelligent and the PlayBook knows what it is plugged into. The generic cigarette lighter to USB port adapters are dumb and do not communicate to the PlayBook, so a charge only cable is needed so the PlayBook knows it is a charge source.

I bet the new proper BlackBerry Brand premium charger with usb port is wired properly to use with the PlayBook and the normal USB cable the PlayBook ships with. From the description on the shopCrackberry listing, it is 1.8amp and made for the PlayBook and Phones.

Click to view quoted image
    Hi, you have item code for this?
    KDTurvey likes this.
    06-18-12 05:39 PM
    06-18-12 05:44 PM
    I found both of these at Amazon and they work:

Charge Only PureGear Cable (Retail Package) for Universal Micro USB

and

GTMax Metalic Purple 2-port USB Car Charger Adapter (2.1A Output) For Mobile Phone, Smartphone, iPhone, Blackberry, Tablets and more

The color isn't important. It has a nice two port output so you can charge your phone and Playbook at the same time.
    BlazorBoy likes this.
    06-22-12 09:15 AM

I think Best Buy sells the cables we need here...

Rocketfish USB Cable Bundle (RF-GMMC01) : GPS Cables & Chargers - Best Buy Canada

and I know the source does also (web store does not list them but they are in the brick and mortar stores), I have a feeling that these cables will work as they are not Macgyver'ed
    I bought that cable set to use with the Brackerton cig plug that I bought before. It works with my Torch 9860 BUT it's still worthless for use with my PlayBook...
    07-28-12 08:50 PM
    Just buy or make a USB charging only cable.
    It has been described several times in this thread.
    07-30-12 11:10 AM
    I bought that cable set to use with the Brackerton cig plug that I bought before. It works with my Torch 9860 BUT it's still worthless for use with my PlayBook...
    The cable is only half the equation. I did a quick search on Brackerton cig plugs. Nowhere did the product specs state that they deliver the current required to charge a Playbook. I'm not saying that they don't make a suitable usb charging plug, just that my limited search didn't bring up one with the required specs. Most of the usb plug in ports limit the current to less than that required for a playbook I would follow the recommendations I posted just prior to your post.
    Last edited by bbobruns; 08-01-12 at 02:50 PM.
    08-01-12 09:33 AM
    Careful here. The usb charger that charges an iPad will not charge the pb or 9900. Device says not proper charger. I hear you need a charge only usb cable but have not tried it.
    That's what you need and it works well.
    08-01-12 10:03 AM
    The cable is only half the equation. I did a quick search on Brackerton cig plugs. Nowhere did the product specs state that they deliver the current required to charge a Playbook. I'm not saying that they don't make a suitable hdmi charging plug, just that my limited search didn't bring up one with the required specs. Most of the hdmi plug in ports limit the current to less than that required for a playbook I would follow the recommendations I posted just prior to your post.
    You need USB charging ports not HDMI.
    08-01-12 10:16 AM
    You need USB charging ports not HDMI.
    I stand corrected. I have edited my original post. Thanks.
    Last edited by bbobruns; 08-01-12 at 02:51 PM.
    08-01-12 02:49 PM
    My Brackerton unit is supposed to be able to output the 2.1 amps needed to charge an iPod... and it STILL doesn't work with my PlayBook...

It seems that BlackBerry has just released their own car charger that is advertised as being able to charge the PB... I'm a little hesitant...
    08-08-12 03:44 AM
    My Brackerton unit is supposed to be able to output the 2.1 amps needed to charge an iPod... and it STILL doesn't work with my PlayBook... ..
    Did you try a charge only cable?
    08-08-12 04:28 AM
    2.1amp and charge-only cable is the key specs. we need follow.
    08-08-12 04:37 AM
    My Brackerton unit is supposed to be able to output the 2.1 amps needed to charge an iPod... and it STILL doesn't work with my PlayBook...

It seems that BlackBerry has just released their own car charger that is advertised as being able to charge the PB... I'm a little hesitant...
    I bought this Blackberry charger from shopcrackberry and it works fine to charge my playbook and phone at the same time.

http://ca.crackberry.com/blackberry-...r/5AA11480.htm

Sent from.....the future.
    08-08-12 04:39 AM
    I bought this Blackberry charger from shopcrackberry and it works fine to charge my playbook and phone at the same time.

BlackBerry Premium 1.8A Micro-USB In-Vehicle Charger for PlayBook 4G LTE , PlayBook | BlackBerry Chargers & Cables

Sent from.....the future.
    The site warns it does not support the 9900.
    08-08-12 04:53 AM
    Did you try a charge only cable?
    YES, I did try the charge only cable with the Brackerton adapter and my PB. It didn't work on the PB, ONLY with my new Torch 9860. Fail!
    08-08-12 07:10 PM
    I have a feeling 1.8 A does charge the playbook abit slowly.
    I have mentioned this in the sting much earlier but I had a 1 A DC (car charger) and a regular USB cable and it seems to be able to maintain the playbook.
    what that means is when I used the 1A charger while it was plugged into the playbook the charge did not seem to move, so I figure the playbook roughly used 1A of power just to do its normal operations.
    1.8 A would charge the playbook just not as fast as say a 2.1 A charger but it WILL charge.

The Crackberry store once listed the normal Blackberry car charger as being able to charge the playbook but then I got it and looked at the spec's it only output 1 A so I knew it was wrong and got a full refund.

Going back to Bobcat665 issue sometimes what they say is rated and what actually comes out of the charger may be just plain wrong.
    You need a charger that put out over 1A and if you need to use a USB type car charger you HAVE to make sure its a USB charging cable.
    The frustrating thing is that a LOT of normal USB cable list themselves as a charge and sync cable.
    You will basically know you have the right cable when you see a tag on the "USB" cable that say NO DATA and or if you plug the charging cable into a USB device and a computer and nothing happens
    03-01-13 11:33 PM

BlackBerry Premium 1.8A Micro-USB In-Vehicle Charger | BlackBerry Chargers & Cables
    I bought an el cheapo car charger on Amazon that said it was for the PlayBook and it came with a usb wall charger and micro usb charge only cable to use with the wall plug, but neither would charge the Playbook while it was on. Complained and they sent a 2.1amp car charger and a regular (hard wired, non usb type) wall charger that worked with the Playbook for free and let me keep the other two which worked fine with my 9930. The car charger fuse blew out after a few months and the small 2.0 amp fast blow fuse is hard to find. The larger, longer slow blow fuses are everywhere, but not what you want in an electronic device car charger. I then bought the 1.8 amp BlackBerry OEM charger from ShopCrackberry.com with lighted usb port (1.0 amp) and 7' coiled cord and could not be happier. It costs a little more, but I got mine during a sale with a coupon of some sort added on and found it to be well worth paying a little more. It is really super nice, high quality that lasts and easily/quickly charges my playbook at the same time as my phone with both in use while charging.
    Last edited by mikeplus1; 03-04-13 at 06:13 AM.
    03-02-13 08:25 AM
99 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD