Hmm..interesting. Sounds like it's using some special type of dual screens to be able to register both touch and stylus. Still would like some definitive answer to this..
    03-05-11 06:00 PM
    So I am browsing ebay and come across a capacitive stylus for the blackberry playbook. I was hoping to take notes on the playbook and tough not all details have been released on the PB, I am wondering if we will be able to take notes? Has anyone heard about using the stylus to draw, note taking etc...?
    Is this the screen PB is utilizing?

http://gizmodo.com/%23!5330514/rim-patents-hybrid-capacitive%2Bresistive-screen

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-11 08:28 PM

Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide

Let us hope so, I've read about it, and it sounds a spedumflinkingberry awesome idea!
    03-05-11 08:34 PM
    Let us hope so, I've read about it, and it sounds a spedumflinkingberry awesome idea!
    I was thining the same thing! Woohoo

03-05-11 08:45 PM
    I have yet to see a video or an article on Playbook Handwriting software using a Capacitive Stylus?

I want to throw away all my notepads and pens and use my Playbook for meetings. This is the 21st century after all!. We should be able to take handwritten notes in a meeting, convert them to text and synchronize them with a laptop. Typing is not always the most practical method for note taking - especially if you are adding sketches.

RIM seems to be marketing this (like their phones) mostly to the business user, so having this type of functionality at launch would seem logical. This is why I am surprised not to see some video or marketing for the paperless office.

Maybe our Crackberry dealer Kevin can put something together for this?? Hmm, now how do I get this note to Kevin...
    04-05-11 02:31 PM
    great question i have been waiting to see if it will be available as well.. best buy sells an electronic pen called livescribe that ive been looking at for a while but been waiting to see if playbook will work with it or not.
    04-05-11 03:10 PM

Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide
    No. That's just a patent for now.
    04-05-11 03:22 PM
    Many times, I've taken pictures of whiteboards (I'm sure I'm not alone). What would be cool is if you could take a picture on your Playbook and have it converted to text but maybe that's going a little too far? It would be cool though.
    04-05-11 03:37 PM
    04-05-11 03:48 PM
    I would pay for that!!!!!

I would too!!!
    04-08-11 12:53 AM
    I have yet to see a video or an article on Playbook Handwriting software using a Capacitive Stylus?

I want to throw away all my notepads and pens and use my Playbook for meetings. This is the 21st century after all!. We should be able to take handwritten notes in a meeting, convert them to text and synchronize them with a laptop. Typing is not always the most practical method for note taking - especially if you are adding sketches.

This brings me back to my old Palm III days. Learning "graffiti" totally wrecked my handwriting. My recognition rate was very high though...

If Palm could do reliable recognition in the late 90s I see no reason it couldn't be implemented for the Playbook.
    04-08-11 07:46 AM
    This brings me back to my old Palm III days. Learning "graffiti" totally wrecked my handwriting. My recognition rate was very high though...

If Palm could do reliable recognition in the late 90s I see no reason it couldn't be implemented for the Playbook.
    Ha I know what you mean. I still have my m515 and had the Treo's. It worked great once you learned the "language". I used to carry the little graffiti card in my wallet. I have belive there will be a way to do this.

04-08-11 08:40 AM
    Well... I was a Palm using since Palm III... its sad that it is now in the state it is... till we see it being revived... I like my Boxwave Stylus
    04-08-11 08:42 AM
    I just received this one from Amazon:

Amazon.com: BoxWave Capacitive iPad Styra (Jet Black): Electronics

To double as both a pen and stylus so I don't have to carry both. It uses a Parker pen refill, so writing is good. Feels good 'n all but...

The 'business end' is sort of... soft mushy kinda thing. I expected something firm and padded, but it's more like a cheap baloon that immediately gives way with the slightest pressure.

Never used a stylus for capacitive screen before so hope this isn't a huge let down. Not sure if you have to press down firm and squash the soft tip, or just touch lightly?

We'll see when the PB arrives!
    04-08-11 09:13 AM
    Anyone get any info on this?

If I could use a stylus to take notes durign meetings that would have me sold!!! (well more sold than i currently am now, and i'm just waiting to get my hands on one before buying it)

THanks!
    04-12-11 02:08 PM
    There are drawing/hand entry programs for the ipad and android tablets. Since android is available on the PB, those currently available may suit your purpose.

Pressure-sensitive drawing headed to iPad | TheTechJournal.com
    Last edited by mandony; 04-12-11 at 02:26 PM.
    04-12-11 02:21 PM
    There are drawing/hand entry programs for the ipad and android tablets. Since android is available on the PB, those currently available may suit your purpose.

Pressure-sensitive drawing headed to iPad | TheTechJournal.com
    Was waiting for this

04-12-11 02:38 PM
    If I get a stylus it will probably be this one
    Amazon.com: Just Mobile AluPen Stylus for iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch & Other Touch Screens (Black): Electronics

I've seen some good reviews on it.
    04-12-11 03:05 PM
    I used an Acase Stylus and Targus Stylus on the playbook today. Both work fine, actually the stylus was more useful than finger to use on web pages, because the screen is smaller.

Now we need a good handwriting app.
    04-12-11 03:20 PM
    I used an Acase Stylus and Targus Stylus on the playbook today. Both work fine, actually the stylus was more useful than finger to use on web pages, because the screen is smaller.

Now we need a good handwriting app.
    Which ones better?

04-12-11 03:27 PM
    The Acase has a finer point, but need to press harder. The pen length is regular size, so it's more natural. The Targus has a rounder tip, but is smoother when writing, but it's short. I prefer the Targus overall, since I don't have to press harder. One other thing to keep in mind, is the writing app on the ipad does make a difference. First tried upad, which didn't work as well. Then tried penultimate, and the writing was much better.
    SlcCorrado likes this.
    04-12-11 03:43 PM
    BlackBerry App World - Lecture Notes

Just saw this in app world... going to email the person to get more information on the app and how it works, i.e. what kind of note taking stylus does it need. but for $2, would definitely be worth it if you have to wait a while to get the android equivalents out.
    04-12-11 04:10 PM
    I just wasted $4 buying Skit for my new Playbook. It is useless without a stylus of some type. It's pretty much like MS Paint App in quality. Trying to write with your finger on the 7" screen will get you about a dozen poor quality hand-written words (a little exaggeration here, but not much).
    I hope new apps come out for handwritten notes; and a good stylus too!
    04-20-11 03:05 PM
    The Acase has a finer point, but need to press harder. The pen length is regular size, so it's more natural. The Targus has a rounder tip, but is smoother when writing, but it's short. I prefer the Targus overall, since I don't have to press harder. One other thing to keep in mind, is the writing app on the ipad does make a difference. First tried upad, which didn't work as well. Then tried penultimate, and the writing was much better.
    I ended up ordering the targus and the alupen off of amazon
    04-21-11 03:02 AM
    @KhanMan1, thanks for your feedback. I'm the developer of Skit. So sorry that you regret buying the application. The jagged drawing you probably seen in the old version was something that didn't appear in the simulator. Now that I got my hand on the real device, I realize that I need to tweak some parameters. I submitted the update to RIM, and hopefully you'll get the updated version in a week or so. I'm looking forward to any other input that you may have.

Currently I withdraw Skit from AppWorld to avoid negative ratings, once the updated version is approved I'll publish it again
    jsdhornby likes this.
    04-29-11 03:07 PM
88 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD