hi all,

I'm trying to setup my hotmail account for a few days and I keep getting the same error: server m.hotmail.com for account xxxxx is not responding.

do I have to activate or do something special?

running o.s 2.0 on playbook 32G

thx,
    03-14-12 03:15 PM
    There are 4 playbooks in my family all with Hotmail accounts and with no set up issues. If you have access to a Windows computer then log on to your account there in order to eliminate any problems with the account itself.
    03-15-12 02:32 AM
    Hotmail working fine for me.. though I've taken it out from the system now..

Usually changing passwords through the desktop and then logging in on the tab helps..
    03-15-12 03:03 AM
    I had some trouble with an @hotmail account but not sure if was the captcha thing they use from time to time. I got an email about signing in to type what is in the picture but when I would sign in there was no captcha. So I went to an @live account which setup fine the first time, I did have trouble getting the @hotmail setup.

On the live account I figured out to the captcha I had to first send a mail for the web access and then I got the captcha to answer. Think I had to do that twice so far.
    03-15-12 07:06 AM
    I haven't tried to set up a hotmail account, what are the pro's and con's. I already have four (4) email accounts and only really active on three of them.....do I need another one? Not really.
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-15-12 07:58 AM
    Not sure there are pro's or not but I had so much trouble with Gmail I tried hotmail which gave some of the fits Gmail was but so far after the fits were taken care of I haven't had an issue since. With Gmail I would be good for a day or two then fits again. Hotmail is activesync like Gmail also.
    03-15-12 08:06 AM
    I have no trouble with my hotmail account with web browser or outlook, just with the PB. I finally got it configured yesterday evening, the sync was working fine but this mourning it cant connect anymore. I saw other threads where people were saying that they could not connect to their hotmail pop server when they switch wifi or for other reason. I bought my PB on launch day, hope its not a first gen issue.
    03-15-12 11:34 AM
    First off pop accounts don't sync. A client pulls the mail off of the server and yes the pb doesn't respect leave on the server. Hotmail should be setup as an activesync account. Just enter you email addy and password and let the pb do the rest.

As I said I had some trouble with an @hotmail account but my @live account has been flawless.
    03-15-12 11:39 AM
    Out of curiosity, how old is the hotmail account that's not syncing?
    I remember when msn/hotmail started to allow free pop access, some accounts on a older server wouldn't work. But that was years ago...
    03-15-12 12:18 PM
    I red about that yea.. some say its true, some say its not.. I have my e-mail since 1999.
    03-15-12 01:34 PM
    for the username do you have it like this

\[email protected]

or just

[email protected]
    03-15-12 01:39 PM
    Just set up my free MSN email account (which is at least 10 years old) without a hitch. All I had to do was punch in my email address and password and the PB did the rest.
    03-15-12 01:46 PM
    with no \ in my username.

just found out that it starts working when paired to my phone, if its only on wifi its not
    03-15-12 07:47 PM
    First off pop accounts don't sync. A client pulls the mail off of the server and yes the pb doesn't respect leave on the server...
    Not sure what you mean by "the pb doesn't respect leave on the server," but I can assure you that it most certainly does leave mail on the server. My POP account set up in the Native email app behaves just like a POP client is supposed to: It pulls mail off the server (as you wrote) without removing it (the opposite of what you wrote), and doesn't sync deletions either up or down (as you wrote), even though I wish it would. I suppose mine could be behaving differently than everyone else's, but since the way mine behaves is the way it should, I doubt that.

I haven't tested it with the "Leave mail on server" setting set to No; perhaps what you meant was the opposite of what you wrote? Namely that when set to No, it does not delete mail from the server even though it should? Again, I haven't tested it, so I don't know if that's the case.
    03-15-12 08:55 PM
    Not sure what you mean by "the pb doesn't respect leave on the server," but I can assure you that it most certainly does leave mail on the server. My POP account set up in the Native email app behaves just like a POP client is supposed to: It pulls mail off the server (as you wrote) without removing it (the opposite of what you wrote), and doesn't sync deletions either up or down (as you wrote), even though I wish it would. I suppose mine could be behaving differently than everyone else's, but since the way mine behaves is the way it should, I doubt that.

I haven't tested it with the "Leave mail on server" setting set to No; perhaps what you meant was the opposite of what you wrote? Namely that when set to No, it does not delete mail from the server even though it should? Again, I haven't tested it, so I don't know if that's the case.
    I don't use pop so maybe I'm wrong but seems like I've seen several threads about using pop and when deleted on the pb it is also deleted from the server.
    03-15-12 09:00 PM
    I don't use pop so maybe I'm wrong but seems like I've seen several threads about using pop and when deleted on the pb it is also deleted from the server.
    I've also seen threads that say that, but once again, much as I wish it would behave that way for me, it does not.
    03-15-12 09:18 PM
    Cletis, try changin the server address. It worked for me. Log in to your hotmail account using your computer and look at the URL bar while inside your inbox

http://co121w.col121.mail.live.com
    What you need are those 3 letters in bold. Memorize them, write them down, whatever.
    In the PB email account settings change m.hotmail.com to (in my case) col-m.hotmail.com.

Hope this works for you too.
    Last edited by FrankIAm; 08-04-12 at 08:49 PM.
    mtint likes this.
    07-17-12 03:12 AM
    See post 5 of this thread.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...counts-735399/

Did you do Crackberry search before creating knew threat?
    07-17-12 10:46 AM
    See post 5 of this thread.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...counts-735399/

Did you do Crackberry search before creating knew threat?
    Thanks, that helped my hotmail worries too!

And you meant New Thread, right?
    rcm1301 likes this.
    07-17-12 11:09 AM
    looks like the new update didn't solve this issue...hope it will with 2.1
    08-02-12 01:24 PM
    looks like the new update didn't solve this issue...hope it will with 2.1
    all the updates in the world can't solve user error.
    08-02-12 03:36 PM
    I'm having the same problem creating my account. I use LIVE account but I know it use the same setting.
    08-02-12 06:23 PM
    There are 4 playbooks in my family all with Hotmail accounts and with no set up issues. If you have access to a Windows computer then log on to your account there in order to eliminate any problems with the account itself.
    Ok, maybe you can help me how to configure my Hotmail account in a PlayBook.

I�m trying the following setup:
    Settings > Accounts > Email, Calendar and Contacts:
    Username: [email protected]
    Email address: [email protected]
    Server address: m.hotmail.com
    > Advanced > Hotmail
    Use SSL: On
    Push: On

This is the correct configuration?

Thanks for your help.
    08-04-12 05:11 PM
    08-04-12 05:14 PM
    Cletis, try changin the server address. It worked for me. Log in to your hotmail account using your computer and look at the URL bar while inside your inbox

What you need are those 3 letters in bold. Memorize them, write them down, whatever.
    In the PB email account settings change m.hotmail.com to (in my case) col-m.hotmail.com.

Hope this works for you too.
    Thanks for the tip - was trying everything for few days to set up the outlook.com on PB, and finaly with the "magic" three letters in front of -m.hotmail.com worked

08-04-12 08:06 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD