I had the same error but with hotmail. It eventually worked but it was a major PITA to get set up considering the same settings that worked in the end were the ones I started with.

In between attempts however I did end up resetting my password as my first few attempts I tried to brute force the wrong password. Even after changing my password and inputting the correct information I got the same message as you.

It's very odd but I'm glad it's set up now.
    02-21-12 12:03 PM
    What did support say?
    02-21-12 12:15 PM
    Are you guys using the imap settings to set up your server info?
    02-21-12 12:22 PM
    Hmmm...had the same problem now got it to work again...me thinks this needs some patching.
    Last edited by dejanh; 02-21-12 at 01:01 PM.
    02-21-12 12:30 PM
    I was able to setup my Gmail account using both the Gmail option and going to advance options and entering all the information and by just entering my email address and password. Both ways have worked fine so far.
    02-21-12 12:32 PM
    Same as that, mine worked ok for the first 20 minutes
    02-21-12 12:34 PM
    I managed to setup/configure gmail on my PlayBook, but the calendar isn't showing up.
    02-21-12 01:29 PM
    Finally (!) finished the support call.

The bypass to the problem is definitely having to do a Hard reset (power and + pressed for 15 secs, then power on) before adding the first account and also between each email account being added. I've added 2 accounts sucessfully: Gmail and Hotmail. Unfortunately I have been unable to add my corporate BES Exchange account. Support said to check my corp IT people to see what rules have been set up and see if I am exceeding any of them -- the Playbook may be getting a rule conflict back from BES.

Another symptom if you have 2 or more email accounts to add is that without the hard reset after the first successful one, adding the second one jumped directly to "Advanced" and left-overs from the first account were filled in for email ID and password. After each Hard reset, adding another account popped up the simple account add first (just email and password).

One possibility is that there is a bug or two in the Advanced screen -- I have to use Advanced for all the corp Exchange fields.

A
    Last edited by Allan-Vancouver; 02-21-12 at 01:55 PM. Reason: New information
    02-21-12 01:38 PM
    I had the same problem after many attempts.

Finally, it started working and I noticed that the server addressed changed to imap.gmail.com instead of something different previously when it didn't work. SMTP server is smtp.gmail.com.

Mail is working but Calendar and Contacts are not.
    02-21-12 01:45 PM
    I had the same problem after many attempts.

Finally, it started working and I noticed that the server addressed changed to imap.gmail.com instead of something different previously when it didn't work. SMTP server is smtp.gmail.com.

Mail is working but Calendar and Contacts are not.
    02-21-12 01:46 PM
    I was having the same problem, with it asking me for the password every few minutes and saying it was invalid.

I checked the double authentication option with gmail and mine was not turned on.

I think what fixed it for me was removing the account and readding it and making sure to specify only my username in the username field (no @gmail.com). Since doing that everything is working beautifully.
    02-21-12 01:47 PM
    My gmail worked perfectly first time. I just added my address and password.

I also set up another (non gmail) account manually and it worked fine. However, I am having trouble with the keyboard. I am not yet sure if it is laggy or the keys are a little small
    02-21-12 01:48 PM
    My Gmail, when I finally was able to add it using Hard Resets, only has mail, no calendar. What is the trick to activate Calendar? That screen never came up when setting up my gmail account.
    02-21-12 02:21 PM
    I'm impressed that RIM got my gmail working so nicely on this device. contacts and calendar are both there - perfect.
    02-21-12 02:26 PM
    I had the same issue as everyone else here, so I turned off my device and back on then deleted my Gmail account on the PB and reentered it, and all is well however... I can seem to see any email before the 15th of this month, my settings are to push manually also to view messages for the last 30days any tips for those two last problems.... Thanks & peace and love
    02-21-12 03:07 PM
    I amhaving a similar problem to Matt I. I synced multiple Gmail accounts including my business account and my own domain with absolutely no problem - kudos to rim on the native email functionality. I absolutely love it.

However, my calendar is still blank. I have everything in Google Calendar, in multiple calendars (perhaps this is the issue...) and nothing is showing.

Please help.
    02-21-12 03:18 PM
    Even after deleting and readding account and a hard reset still have the same problem.
    anyone else.have the same ?
    02-22-12 07:33 AM
    I have two PlayBooks and both were giving me issues setting up gmail.

I initially tried setting the gmail accounts up and using the email address as [email protected]. I've edited my gmail account so I can log on as my crackberry address. The OS2 email didn't like that. When I changed the email address to proper [email protected] it kinda work but kept giving me issues (re enter password, would only grab 5 emails)

I found the trick to setting up the email that if you make a mistake anywhere along the setup process, you have to delete the account and re enter it.

@Kevin (if you read this) are you able to use your CrackBerry.com address with OS2 so that when you send out an email it doesn't say from kevin@gmail it says kevin(@)crackberry.com?
    02-22-12 08:45 AM
    I found the cause of my missing Gmail Calendar and Contacts problem on my own. It is an interesting quirk of Gmail IDs. I have always used either of the two methods of signing onto Gmail interchangeably: One is to use the full Gmail account ID, I.e., "[email protected]". Notice the "dot" between the parts. Gmail access via a browser also accepts "[email protected]" WITHOUT the "dot". The Playbook, however, assumes you want ALL the capability of Gmail including Contacts and Calendar, and I think these functions run on different Google servers and that the Calendar and Contacts function only accepts the "real" Gmail account ID. Apparently the Email function at Google is OK with the alternate form of the ID but the other functions are not, so for me, all I could ever get is email activated on the Playbook when using the "no-dot" ID. I have tested adding Gmail accounts using both methods alternatively, and the ID with the dot always gives me all three functions, and creating without the dot always enables only email. I will be confirming the details of my assumptions with Playbook Support after they review the new logs of the two types of account setup for Gmail that I have sent them. Hopefully this helps others who have had the same "no calendar or contacts" problem.
    02-23-12 08:55 PM
    Everytime I try and enter my gmail address and password it comes up saying my login has changed or is incorrect. It is working fine with bridge? Anyone else having problems with gmail. Everything else seems fine with my update!!!!!
    I have 4 gmail accounts, fine with 3 except one which keeps asking for password. For that specific account, I enabled 2 step auth and now it works fine perfectly.
    02-25-12 01:58 PM
    I have 4 gmail accounts, fine with 3 except one which keeps asking for password. For that specific account, I enabled 2 step auth and now it works fine perfectly.
    I setup the 2 step verification last night and it worked for most of today. Then just a little while ago it started asking me for the password repeatedly. Right now I'm not logged into my Gmail. Very frustrating.
    02-25-12 06:27 PM
    I setup the 2 step verification last night and it worked for most of today. Then just a little while ago it started asking me for the password repeatedly. Right now I'm not logged into my Gmail. Very frustrating.
    Yeah, it happened similar to me too. I had to go to web gmail, use Revoke with a new password and used that password for gmail on PB. Everything working fine so far until now.
    02-27-12 09:33 AM
    For those having problems with Google Sync (gmail's adaptation of ActiveSync), you may find answers in Google's documentation for using Google Sync with ioS, Windows Phone/Mobile, Nokia, etc. There is no online help for PlayBook users, and the BlackBerry phone information is irrelevant. Follow these links for more links (I have not maintained all the links in the following excerpts).

| Google Sync for your phone

| Overview of Sync Availability - Google Mobile Help
    Note: Google Sync is Beta software. Keep this in mind when setting up and using Google Sync ...

| Setting up Google Sync with your iOS device - Google Mobile Help
    Notes about passwords:
    o) Be sure that you have a strong password for your Google Account.
    o) If you see an error message saying "Invalid Password", you may need to unlock your account by solving a short CAPTCHA. Go to https://www.google.com/accounts/UnlockCaptcha.
    o) If you are a 2-step verification user, please use an application-specific password instead of your regular password in this field.

| Google Sync Known Issues with iOS - Google Mobile Help
    Signing in:
    Invalid Password Prompt. If you see an error message that reads "Invalid Password", it's likely that you'll need to unlock your account by solving a short CAPTCHA. Visit the appropriate link below and fill in your email address, password, and the letters in the CAPTCHA box:
    o) General users and Google Apps customers: https://www.google.com/accounts/UnlockCaptcha
    o) Google Apps customers not yet on the new infrastructure: https://www.google.com/a/your_domain.../UnlockCaptcha. Be sure to replace your_domain.com with your actual domain name.
    TinRobot likes this.
    02-27-12 12:27 PM
    i originally set up my native email with both a google apps acct and a regular gmail acct, both set up fine, but decided to delete and just keep email bridge only.

but ever since I deleted these accts, when i click on acct information on either of these accts, it shows the window that says "This account does not seem to be open in any other location. However, there may be sessions that have not been signed out" and the sign out all other sessions button. I sign out but as soon as i check again, i get the same message. I even changed my password on one of my accts thinking that would solve it, but no.

anyone else seeing their accts constantly open?? wondering if it's a 2.0 thing??
    02-27-12 02:27 PM
    -updated via wifi from beta: password prompt after 5 minutes
    -security wipe reinstall: password prompt after 45 minutes

solution;
    Desktop manager says I'm running firmware 1.0 (both windows and mac) and asks me to update to the latest. Turn off the Playbook, plug it in, Desktop Manager gives you 3 choices: retry, update, cancel;, select update and it'll reinstall the entire os. it took a little over an hour. Desktop manager now recognizes the firmware. set up Gmail via Exchange and voila! been running for 17 hours straight with no more password prompts! i havent set up 2-step authorization in case anyone was wondering.
    02-27-12 10:53 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD