Fyi...Was excited... Now frustraited! Sitting at an airport... Can't get past the "agreement" page.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by b121; 04-19-11 at 08:38 AM.
    04-19-11 08:31 AM
    I would be surprised if there isn't some sort of wifi network in the airport you can connect to...
    04-19-11 08:33 AM
    Nope... You can't get to the browser to enter a credit card.

04-19-11 08:37 AM
    same here!!! bummer....
    04-19-11 08:37 AM
    Find a Starbucks or McD's QUICK!!!! LOL
    04-19-11 08:40 AM
    This is something that RIM did not think through, at all.

Why force users to upgrade at the first go? Why can't you upgrade in the background while the user is actually playing with the 'PlayBook'?
    The worst of it is that it upgrades when you are setting it up so that you have to wait before you can actually use the unit. BTW, my PlayBook never recovered from its restart after the upgrade. Its just a shiny piece of new electronics for me

I would love to know the name of the person at RIM who made this decision (pretty sure he/she is looking for another job right now)
    04-19-11 08:44 AM
    Go to the setup button on the bottom left when you select the wifi connection...

There might be a EULA for the wifi you're using that you have to click "agree" to

That miiiiight solve ur problem

04-19-11 08:52 AM
    The immediate thought to having to activate the unit is for warranty stuff and push any new updates
    04-19-11 09:01 AM
    Why force users to upgrade at the first go? Why can't you upgrade in the background while the user is actually playing with the 'PlayBook'?
    most of these units were built months ago. The latest build was probably a day old at the most. Are you expecting them to upgrade the OS on every PlayBook at some point during the past few days then ship them? If they don't do that then a fair number of units will have OSs that are a month old or older. Which makes RIM look better: you need to be near WiFi the first time you use it, or you have a buggy operating system with almost none of the features that you bought it for?

04-19-11 09:47 AM
    I think they had to do it this way. They had to start making the devices at the factories at least a couple of months ago. What OS build were they on a couple of months ago? (and then the build changed as they built more).
    The only alternative would be to freeze the release software a couple months before the launch. RIM's launch schedule didn't allow for that.

This is something that RIM did not think through, at all.

The worst of it is that it upgrades when you are setting it up so that you have to wait before you can actually use the unit. BTW, my PlayBook never recovered from its restart after the upgrade. Its just a shiny piece of new electronics for me

I would love to know the name of the person at RIM who made this decision (pretty sure he/she is looking for another job right now)
    04-19-11 09:52 AM
    @Jean-lic_picard and @MisterMe11,
    Hence a rushed product
    04-19-11 09:58 AM
    I bought mine this morning at Staples on my way to work. I have to sit here and use it as a paper weight until I can get to some free wifi. I'm in the mood for Starbucks
    04-19-11 10:05 AM
    blah i just walked through eatons center no wifi anywhere..... tempted to go into apple store and..........
    04-19-11 10:10 AM
    blah i just walked through eatons center no wifi anywhere..... Tempted to go into apple store and..........
    do it!! :d
    04-19-11 10:17 AM
    I bought mine this morning at Staples on my way to work. I have to sit here and use it as a paper weight until I can get to some free wifi. I'm in the mood for Starbucks
    Visit the IT Department and befriend them - then steal their wifi!
    04-19-11 10:21 AM
    @ignites! that is hilarious! i live in markham so i've been to that store! I'd die to know their reaction.
    04-19-11 10:26 AM
    Require a WIFI connection is better than the iPod which Mandates A PC/Mac with iTunes. I can assure you that you want a WIFI and get the latest updates to make the unit run smooth.
    04-19-11 10:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD