Purchased a 64GB Playbook through official RIM website for $700. RIM has a contact with GlobalWare Solutions in MA to handle the purchases thru a DBA BlackBerry Accessories from the Official RIM BlackBerry Accessories Store.

I've had the tablet for about a week and spent countless hours trying to make it work. Reached the frustration tipping point today and contacted BlackBerry Accessories from the Official RIM BlackBerry Accessories Store for an RMA per their instructions.

RIM and their partner WILL NOT ACCEPT any Playbook returns IF THE PACKAGE HAS BEEN OPENED. Perspective buyers be aware of this policy and purchase your Playbook tablets through another venue.
    05-18-11 02:35 PM
    I didn't do something right so the URL's in my original message were not displayed. RIM's official store is: shopblackberry dot com.
    05-18-11 02:58 PM
    I didn't do something right so the URL's in my original message were not displayed. RIM's official store is: shopblackberry dot com.

They are displaying, this website has a feature where it replaces the link with the title of the website. You'll see that it is a blue link and you can click on it.

Sorry to hear about the bad shopping experience with the BB store.. They do not even have a two week policy?
    05-18-11 03:04 PM
    What are you having problems with? Maybe we can help you make it work.
    05-18-11 03:06 PM
    If you have a product that DOES NOT WORK AS ADVERTISED and are in the US you may be able to contest the charge with you credit card company. Get all of your documents in order. E-mails to support, call logs showing when you called support and how long you spent trying to resolve the problem etc. and be ready to provide them to the cc company. Then go ahead and contact the company and start the chargeback process.
    05-18-11 03:12 PM
    Hey...worst case, put it up for sale on Ebay or Craigslist. If you lose a little money, consider it a rental.
    05-18-11 03:13 PM
    Well Office Depot return policy is 14 days and if it has been opened it's exchange only and you need all the original packaging.

They may not abide by it all the time though
    05-18-11 03:30 PM
    Sorry to hear your trouble OP.

What issues are you having? maybe we can help?

Just a side note, it does say on the site that open items cannot be refunded.

Why didn;t you buy it at Best Buy or Staples which has an open box policy?

What is your return policy?

Answer:
    If you are not satisfied with your purchase, return it with the original receipt and original packaging within 30 (thirty) calendar days of the date of shipment. If the item is returned unopened in the original box, Globalware will pay a refund based on the original payment method. You are responsible for shipping and handling charges on all returned items. OPENED PACKAGES CANNOT BE RETURNED FOR A REFUND.

If you believe your BlackBerry� Playbook and/or accessories provided with your BlackBerry Playbook are defective, please see the in-box documentation that came with your BlackBerry Playbook or call (877) 644-8410. For issues relating to defective Accessories, please email [email protected] or call (866) 957-0761.

For warranty information relating to BlackBerry products, please go to https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=XUlonBsU
    05-18-11 03:32 PM
    Thats is pretty lame if true.

Tim
    05-18-11 03:34 PM
    Sorry to hear your trouble OP.

What issues are you having? maybe we can help?

Just a side note, it does say on the site that open items cannot be refunded.

Why didn;t you buy it at Best Buy or Staples which has an open box policy?

What is your return policy?

Answer:
    If you are not satisfied with your purchase, return it with the original receipt and original packaging within 30 (thirty) calendar days of the date of shipment. If the item is returned unopened in the original box, Globalware will pay a refund based on the original payment method. You are responsible for shipping and handling charges on all returned items. OPENED PACKAGES CANNOT BE RETURNED FOR A REFUND.

If you believe your BlackBerry� Playbook and/or accessories provided with your BlackBerry Playbook are defective, please see the in-box documentation that came with your BlackBerry Playbook or call (877) 644-8410. For issues relating to defective Accessories, please email [email protected] or call (866) 957-0761.

For warranty information relating to BlackBerry products, please go to https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=c-LplEx8
    To me that sounds like some crap. If I don't open it and test it, how will I know if I'm satisfied with the device or not.
    05-18-11 03:37 PM
    This is why you have to check the return policy before you buy anything. If you don't agree with the return policy then buy it somewhere else.
    05-18-11 04:07 PM
    For issues relating to defective Accessories, please email [email protected] or call (866) 957-0761.

For warranty information relating to BlackBerry products, please go to https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=IA8qPn_j
    You may not be able to get your money back, but it is under warranty from Blackberry and they are obligated to repair it or replace it with a working device during the warranty period. Then if you decide you do not want to keep it, at least you have a working PB which you can sell and get most of your money back. Just a suggestion, but that is what I would do.
    05-18-11 04:18 PM
    I purchased the PlayBook through RIM's website. My mistake was to ASSUMe that a major company would have an industry standard return policy, in the event their product did not work as advertised. As for the legal statement of their return policy, it was NEVER brought to my attention during the ENTIRE process of making the on-line purchase. It's very bad business practice to say after the fact: go look in the legal section of the website and read all the fine print. I'm very disappointed that RIM engages in such a practice and only want others be aware that if you purchase a PlayBook through "shopblackberry dot com": IF YOU OPEN THE PACKAGE, YOU CAN'T RETURN IT.

ps. Thanks to all who offered to help me to try and fix the problems. I've spent a week trying diffenent fixes posted on the various threads with very limited sucess as the underlining problem is that the issues are random.
    05-18-11 04:30 PM
    Really RIM, you gotta be kidding me. I feel for you on this one as that has to be rhe most outrageous return policy ever, these are electronics, not fruit. smh
    05-18-11 04:30 PM
    If it's broken, maybe try an exchange instead?
    05-18-11 05:25 PM
    if its broken, send it in for repair? that is what warranty is for then just sell it if you dont want it.
    05-18-11 05:32 PM
    I purchased the PlayBook through RIM's website. My mistake was to ASSUMe that a major company would have an industry standard return policy, in the event their product did not work as advertised. As for the legal statement of their return policy, it was NEVER brought to my attention during the ENTIRE process of making the on-line purchase. It's very bad business practice to say after the fact: go look in the legal section of the website and read all the fine print. I'm very disappointed that RIM engages in such a practice and only want others be aware that if you purchase a PlayBook through "shopblackberry dot com": IF YOU OPEN THE PACKAGE, YOU CAN'T RETURN IT.

ps. Thanks to all who offered to help me to try and fix the problems. I've spent a week trying diffenent fixes posted on the various threads with very limited sucess as the underlining problem is that the issues are random.
    I just spent some time on Apple's website, and here is their return policy: Apple Sales and Refund Policy. Please pay attention to this part: If the item is returnable and you send it back to us unopened in the original box, Apple will offer you a refund based on your original method of payment.
    05-18-11 05:53 PM
    If you used Amex it can be returned.
    05-18-11 05:56 PM
    Purchased a 64GB Playbook through official RIM website for $700. RIM has a contact with GlobalWare Solutions in MA to handle the purchases thru a DBA BlackBerry Accessories from the Official RIM BlackBerry Accessories Store.

I've had the tablet for about a week and spent countless hours trying to make it work. Reached the frustration tipping point today and contacted BlackBerry Accessories from the Official RIM BlackBerry Accessories Store for an RMA per their instructions.

RIM and their partner WILL NOT ACCEPT any Playbook returns IF THE PACKAGE HAS BEEN OPENED. Perspective buyers be aware of this policy and purchase your Playbook tablets through another venue.

I don't know the laws where you are located. Different provinces, states, and countries have their own laws for trade. Where I am located, when something is sold retail, the customer has 15 days to return the item providing it is in the original packaging and all the pieces and packaging are returned intact. If the device goes defective before 31 days, the dealer at his option can exchange the device for a new one. If the new one is not available, he is allowed to substitute the item if the customer agrees. If not, the dealer must refund the payment for the item.

As for your Playbook, you should check to see if it is defective or not. If it is defective there should be a warranty for it since it is new.

If you call Blackberry Playbook support they should be able to help you get started with it. Every time I had an issue with the Playbook I was able to have excellent support. I had some minor problems getting the bridge mode to work. The fix was very easy once I knew what to do. Each time I called about something it was resolved as quickly as possible.

You will need a WiFi access to first get it going. It will also require WiFi access for making updates. You can get a WiFi router for your internet connection system to be able to maintain and use the Playbook at home. Most people have WiFi at home anyways because they use laptops, and various internet devices. WiFi avoids a lot of extra wiring through the house.

You can also go to a public access WiFi hotspot to get your Playbook initialized and operational. When first turned on it has to download its operating software. The next step would be to get the bridge mode going if you have a Blackberry phone.

You can tether the Playbook to most any mobile phone that has Bluetooth capability to use it for internet use. You must first make sure you have the tethering option in your mobile phone plan.

I have been using the Playbook for a number of weeks now. I am very impressed with it. I use it mostly for business use. Most of my usage is for research using the browser on the internet, reading news items, and email. I tether it with my Blackberry Torch. Now that I have been using this tablet I am very impressed with its speed, stability, and overall performance. I am on it for at least 2 to 4 hours each day for my work.

Jerry G.
    Last edited by Jerryg50; 05-18-11 at 09:12 PM.
    05-18-11 09:08 PM
    Thanks to all who took the time and offered worthwhile advice regarding my attempt to return my PlayBook for a refund. I really appreciate it. The customer service representative told me to read the "legal" section of the website. I did that and found the following:

"Warranties
    Warranties, if any, for products are solely those offered by RIM. GWS PROVIDES THE BlackBerry Accessories Store AND THE PRODUCTS OFFERED THEREIN ON AN "AS IS" BASIS WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND. GWS, TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT".

In addition to their policy of "no refund if you open the box", the stated company policy is that the merchandise is sold on an "AS IS" BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND".

I recommend anyone contemplating a purchase of a PlayBook through RIM's website to read and understand the comany policies written in the legal section of the website. Carefully consider the company's stated business practices.
    05-19-11 12:46 AM
    Thanks to all who took the time and offered worthwhile advice regarding my attempt to return my PlayBook for a refund. I really appreciate it. The customer service representative told me to read the "legal" section of the website. I did that and found the following:

"Warranties
    Warranties, if any, for products are solely those offered by RIM. GWS PROVIDES THE BlackBerry Accessories Store AND THE PRODUCTS OFFERED THEREIN ON AN "AS IS" BASIS WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND. GWS, TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT".

In addition to their policy of "no refund if you open the box", the stated company policy is that the merchandise is sold on an "AS IS" BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND".

I recommend anyone contemplating a purchase of a PlayBook through RIM's website to read and understand the comany policies written in the legal section of the website. Carefully consider the company's stated business practices.
    You have a captive audience here offering to help you solve your technical problems. Are you going to capitalize on this or just keep complaining?
    Maverick533 likes this.
    05-19-11 12:55 AM
    You have a captive audience here offering to help you solve your technical problems. Are you going to capitalize on this or just keep complaining?
    Think he just wants to vent cuz now he can't refund it for a xoom....
    05-19-11 05:11 AM
    I guess you could always buy a new PB from Staples, return your broken opened PB to staples, and your new unopened PB to shop.blackberry.com.

I doubt they check serials.
    05-19-11 06:17 AM
    I guess you could always buy a new PB from Staples, return your broken opened PB to staples, and your new unopened PB to shop.blackberry.com.

Tch. Staples check them here in the UK.
    05-19-11 06:20 AM
    They most definitely do.
    05-19-11 06:25 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD