Greetings,

I just got a Playbook, and transferred some pdf files via wifi into the documents folder. I can't open the files with the Adobe reader. The files appear in the document list but on opening I get an error saying "The file path is not valid". The same problem happens when I download pdfs and they get stored in the downloads folder. I can't seem find any thread on this topic.

As a side note, mp3 files transferred this way into the music folder play fine, but photos transferred into the pictures directory, only show in the folder preview but the photo does not appear inside the directory itself. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
    04-22-11 01:57 PM
    ...So does this mean nobody else is having issues viewing pdf files on their Playbook? Or has no one tried to get some pdfs on the device? Any info would help!
    04-22-11 11:03 PM
    I have looked at a few pdf's with no issues let me try some more. Stand by...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-22-11 11:05 PM
    Follow up: I just downloaded a few and Adobe Reader functions with no issues. what error are you getting?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-22-11 11:08 PM
    let me try as well..give me a sec
    04-22-11 11:11 PM
    Thanks for checking folks! I get an error saying "The file path is not valid" this is both for downloaded pdfs and ones I've transferred over wifi.

edit: I've tried both the documents folder and the downloads folder in the media directory on the Playbook
    04-22-11 11:20 PM
    I have had no problem viewing PDFs received via email myself.
    04-22-11 11:23 PM
    this is only happening for pdfs not docs...
    04-22-11 11:31 PM
    I am sorry for taking so long to come back.. I have tried multiple possibilities and have no issues. Put them in folders renamed etc and I can view them fine. Can you tell me what OS you have? There have been some updates and that may possibly fix ur situation..
    04-22-11 11:34 PM
    can you tell us the names of these pdfs? maybe you have some funky characters.
    04-22-11 11:36 PM
    Hi Neoflasher,

The Playbook OS is 1.0.1.1710
    04-22-11 11:37 PM
    erganlund, I've tried reducing the names to a few letters, I thought that might have something to do with it too. No luck unfortunately. Could it be the unit itself? I doubt it though.
    04-22-11 11:40 PM
    Do you know how to update your OS through DM? I would suggest doing a complete back up and forcing and update. You did mention you are having issues with pics as well? correct.. Try loading the pics through Desktop manager first. If that doesn't work I'd suggest force update after doing complete backup of course.
    04-22-11 11:52 PM
    Neoflasher, I'm on a Macbook and DM doesn't want to work yet (updates comming I've heard?) So, I guess I'll have to use a PC to do a forced update. Maybe that'll fix this issue.
    04-23-11 12:28 AM
    when u rename files, did u include the .pdf i have the same error for pic save from the browser. i rename flowers.jpg to flowers without .jpg and it will show as in invalid file.

anyway the adobe reader text rendering is bad. text are not clear at default resolution for scanned documents.
    drum likes this.
    04-23-11 12:38 AM
    Greetings,

I just got a Playbook, and transferred some pdf files via wifi into the documents folder. I can't open the files with the Adobe reader. The files appear in the document list but on opening I get an error saying "The file path is not valid".
    This happened to me with several documents. I had also loaded some videos the video player did not see. A restart of my PB fixed the problem
    04-23-11 12:43 AM
    rexiberry I've checked and the extensions are in the file names.
    04-23-11 12:48 AM
    Thanks wms3, I did restart the PB and still get the same behavior. This is pretty odd I'd say considering that you guys can get to your pdfs. I've tried different size files too just in case the file sizes were too large.
    04-23-11 12:56 AM
    Check your apps permission under security options. Make sure it's "Allowed" for Adobe Reader.
    04-23-11 02:14 AM
    new update supposedly coming .1746. Hopefully that will fix it or you can force update using windows on bootcamp on macbook. If you don't feel like dealing with that just exchange it for a fresh one.
    04-23-11 02:49 AM
    Just did this and I get the same issue.
    04-23-11 06:11 AM
    I just did a forced update (at least I think that is what it was). I backed up my information on DM. I then unplugged it and held down the power key and volume down button. It turned off. Then I plugged it back in to the PC and (this is where it gets hazy) I believe the device powered up giving me the option to update. Someone may want to chime in here to help me out...

Anyways, after the update (which took about 35 mins), it allowed me to basically startup the device as a fresh device. It wiped about everything from the device and I had to re-establish Bridge and go through the tutorials. After that it fixed the PDF problem.

The software update 1710 (which was the newest one I downloaded a couple of days ago) did not need to be updated.

Hope this helps you as it took a level 2 rep and a good bit of troubleshooting from RIM this morning.

This also corrected the issue of my GPS not recognizing me. It now finds me and knows where I am.
    04-23-11 11:03 AM
    Check your apps permission under security options. Make sure it's "Allowed" for Adobe Reader.
    I also think this may have been some of the issue with it, as I don't believe I allowed this before.

Hope this helps you.
    04-23-11 11:06 AM
    Intosh nailed it! The security was set to deny for the Adobe app. Once changed to Allowed the pdfs are viewable. Thanks again everyone for all your help and input!

As a side note: I can't wait till someone comes up with nice pdf reader app for PB. The adobe reader renders very poorly, especially text (as was mentioned in this thread) and doesn't really utilize the hardware capabilities of this tablet. hopefully soon we'll get a nice reader!
    rockhammer likes this.
    04-23-11 11:14 AM
    i have no problem with regular pdfs but i cannot open locked pdfs. It won' "t let me enter any text in the password field. Anybody have this issue?
    04-23-11 02:00 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD