Yep made that discovery as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-15-11 06:38 PM
    well i can't seem to open pdf files either. they don't even show up in adobe reader. also if i try to open one from the web it opens the page but it's blank. if i go into the download folder within the browser it shows the file but when i open it gives me an error message "unable to find default app". should i assume that the adobe app that came installed simply doesn't work?
    Last edited by omega supreme; 11-24-11 at 04:17 AM.
    11-24-11 04:12 AM
    my PB adobe reader cant open pdf files, i have trying everthing( permission under security is allowed) but nothing works,when i open adobe reader the pdf file is there but when i click to open the file the page is blank... help pls i really need this to work for my course work. thanx
    I'm having the same problem. Permissions are set to Allow. I don't get an error message, but the file opens to a black screen. I can see it scrolling though the pages, but the screen is black. The file is 96.1 MB and is located in Bluebox (I used the Download and Launch function and it then appeared in Adobe Reader.) I've renamed the file to shorten it and even added underscores so that there are no spaces. Any help would be appreciated.
    01-02-12 12:04 PM
    It would be nice if there were a way to TEST pdf files and identify their traits and figure out what's what.

Is the pdf something of your own making - print to pdf or some application creates a pdf? Or was it a commercial manual/publication. It is not a drm pdf?
    01-02-12 01:24 PM
    Thanks for your reply. It was a commercial publication, not something I made and not a drm pdf. I have no trouble viewing it on my laptop or on my iPhone with a pdf reader.
    01-05-12 12:17 AM
    you need to edit the application permissions file for adobe.
    go to security - application permissions - select adobe reader - edit file permissions to allow the application to access files stored on your playbook.
    That worked for me. At least now I can read the pdf file although that is about all the reader will do... no bookmarks that I can find.
    Thanks for the help Paddington
    01-05-12 04:38 PM
    who still have trouble opening transfered pdf files to playbook:
    -using AirBrowser i renamed that transfered pdf file(any name, but not too long), after that hit Open.
    03-02-12 12:41 PM
    renamed that transfered pdf file(any name, but not too long), after that hit Open.
    That works for me. Guess it didn't open because the filename was too long. Stupid..
    03-15-12 01:39 PM
    I had the same problem. Cut the names short and everything is alright
    03-16-12 04:54 PM
    I'm having the same problem with my Playbook - I got an admin guide .pdf for a new phone system at work...
    ...And the Playbook simply can't open it - it's 92 pages with color and the PB gassed on it.
    ...Frankly embarassing given that both an ipad, ipod touch, HTC droid EVO & iphone had ZERO problems with opening it.

I even installed it from a saved file via the BB desktop Mgr to see if that would help....
    ...My fear is that the Playbook simply was not made for "business" related things.
    ...Got to give the PB it's due for video chat with another playbook however - at least that rocks!
    03-17-12 08:57 PM
    I had the same problem. Cut the names short and everything is alright
    I just found this out today! Adobe Reader cannot open PDFs with long names, but the converted android app, Repligo can! This is Crazy!
    03-19-12 07:46 PM
    I just found this out today! Adobe Reader cannot open PDFs with long names, but the converted android app, Repligo can! This is Crazy!
    Like I said - the BB being hyped as a "business tool" is simply RIM pretending like it's 2009 again....
    ...Ignoring the fact they failed to deliver a "business smart phone" - instead they gloat over liquid graphics.
    ...LOL.
    03-19-12 09:31 PM
    figured it out...turns out if you do end up renaming it you HAVE to put in the suffix ".pdf" at the end...i thought it would automatically do this when saving but it doesn't.
    03-29-12 06:20 PM
    Had the same problem in 2013. Check the file names. If they have a "/" character in them the device gets confused. You need to re-name them in the file manager: find them, touch and hold a file, select the "ABC" icon, and give it a nicer name.
    06-20-13 11:27 PM
    I need help in opening several .pdf files on my BB Playbook. I can open file to a blank page, and even scroll through the document but only see blank pages. As suggested in earlier posts, I tried to change the access permission setting but when I open the "Application Permissions", Adobe Reader does not appear on the list!
    08-17-13 12:24 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD