Adobe Reader is basically really just a viewer, email links in the pdf's don't work anybody try http links?
    04-23-11 03:38 PM
    I have some PDF files on my SD card on my 9700 and can read them without a problem. However I get "There was an error opening the document" when trying to view a PDF in an email.

I don't know how or if you can download the attachment in an email.

Edited 4/25 @ 2:54PM - This morning when I woke up my Playbook I received a message that there was a small update of 1mb.

Now I can tap a PDF file in an email and it opens. Not sure if this small update fixed this or it just started to work on its own.
    Last edited by EdS817; 04-25-11 at 01:54 PM.
    04-23-11 03:47 PM
    i dont have adobe reader on my pb. wad it supposed to come w/it or do i download it? i went to adobeand it said devicd not compat.
    04-25-11 01:41 PM
    Greetings,

I just got a Playbook, and transferred some pdf files via wifi into the documents folder. I can't open the files with the Adobe reader. The files appear in the document list but on opening I get an error saying "The file path is not valid". The same problem happens when I download pdfs and they get stored in the downloads folder. I can't seem find any thread on this topic.

As a side note, mp3 files transferred this way into the music folder play fine, but photos transferred into the pictures directory, only show in the folder preview but the photo does not appear inside the directory itself. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
    I was having the same error because I unchecked the box that said adobe would have access to my files when I first launched Adobe Reader. To fix try going to Settings >> Security >> Application Permissions >> Adobe Reader >> and set "Files" to Allowed. That is how I fixed that same error you are getting on my PB Adobe Reader.
    04-25-11 01:50 PM
    I have some PDF files on my SD card on my 9700 and can read them without a problem. However I get "There was an error opening the document" when trying to view a PDF in an email.

I don't know how or if you can download the attachment in an email.

Edited 4/25 @ 2:54PM - This morning when I woke up my Playbook I received a message that there was a small update of 1mb.

Now I can tap a PDF file in an email and it opens. Not sure if this small update fixed this or it just started to work on its own.
    My problem with .pdf attachments is that they will not finish downloading. I am able to download them (and view them on my phone) and can download (and view) .doc and .xls attachments on the PB without problems. PDF files just freeze, and no amount of starting, stopping, and restarting the bridge connection seems to fix this.
    04-25-11 02:40 PM
    Intosh nailed it! The security was set to deny for the Adobe app. Once changed to Allowed the pdfs are viewable. Thanks again everyone for all your help and input!

As a side note: I can't wait till someone comes up with nice pdf reader app for PB. The adobe reader renders very poorly, especially text (as was mentioned in this thread) and doesn't really utilize the hardware capabilities of this tablet. hopefully soon we'll get a nice reader!
    Thank you webnameking and Intosh! I've been trying to fix this exact issue since 04/21 working with rim support and having been escalated numerous times. I wish I read this 48hrs ago!

If only they can also preserve the folder structure in documents folder! In the meantime, I'm getting by using their search function...
    04-25-11 08:21 PM
    my PB adobe reader cant open pdf files, i have trying everthing( permission under security is allowed) but nothing works,when i open adobe reader the pdf file is there but when i click to open the file the page is blank... help pls i really need this to work for my course work. thanx
    04-27-11 02:08 AM
    my PB adobe reader cant open pdf files, i have trying everthing( permission under security is allowed) but nothing works,when i open adobe reader the pdf file is there but when i click to open the file the page is blank... help pls i really need this to work for my course work. thanx
    How large is the .pdf and where is it located on your Playbook?
    04-27-11 02:15 AM
    Can anyone open PDF portfolios? A portfolio is a PDF file with multiple files in it. I see the header page that says you need PDF Reader 9 but we have Adobe Reader 10.
    04-27-11 07:06 AM
    The biggest problem for me is that it loses the entire file structure. So, if I have a bunch of PDFs organized in different folders and copy those folders to the PB, I just end up with a long list of pdf files without folder organization.
    04-27-11 07:31 AM
    I can't open a portfolio pdf that contains pdf'd AutoCAD drawings, only very small segments of some of the lines are showing. May have something to do with how it was created. But it opens in desktop Adobe Reader and in PDFxchange, just will not show properly on the playbook which is very frustrating. Single sheet pdf's that were created with Distiller seem to show properly, I'll have to get our drafting dept to experiment with different pdf printer profiles.
    04-28-11 09:48 PM
    This is also happening to me. I can save and download the pdf files to the playbook but when I click to open nothing happens . Nothing mentioned prev did not help me. I'm not certain if it makes a diff that I'm downloading the pdgs straight from off the internet. They are bills.

05-01-11 03:18 PM
    if you are getting the error file name invalid try renaming it to a name with no characters or spaces. i saved the file located at this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/pl...o-info-607314/ (it lists the formats for PB video). On the initial save it has a bunch of underscores and sure enough when i launch adobe it said "file path invalid" or something to that effect. I then saved it again, but this time as SupportedMedia.pdf and it opened up right away.
    05-01-11 06:47 PM
    changing security permission for Adobe Reader to Allow works! THanks!!!
    05-03-11 03:04 PM
    i have this issue too, did you ever find a resolution, its weird i have a files 1.2mb and 31.2mb that i cannot open but i can open a 38.2mb, 10.2mb and 12.5mb file
    05-06-11 11:05 PM
    i had a similar problem with a video file. i did a hard reboot of the playbook and it worked fine.

my pdf problem is a bit different. from the gmail app, i'm not able to download the .pdf. i click the link and the new page opens up and then nothing happens. it works fine with .doc documents and others. EDIT: i figured it out. if i close pdf app, i can save the file.

if i go into the bridge email app and download it there it works well. however, i'm not able to change the name of the file. if i do change the name when trying to download, it just disappears and i don't know where it's saved to. (Edit: this happens with .doc and .xls file types as well)
    EDIT: i figured it out. if i add the .pdf file type, it works.

also, when i have a pdf file open and there's no "save as" function.

please help?
    Last edited by belseat; 05-10-11 at 07:10 AM.
    05-10-11 06:50 AM
    when you say save as are you trying to edit a pdf or just rename it$
    05-10-11 09:49 AM
    I have the latest OS (1.0.5.2304). I have deleted and the downloaded Adobe Reader. I have saved the file manually, through desktop mgr sync, changed folder and file names... with .pdf...

and still I have "The file path is not valid" error Help!
    06-10-11 04:10 AM
    FIXED! It's as simple as enabling application permissions...
    In SETTINGS,
    Select SECURITY / APPLICATION PERMISSIONS / ADOBE READER
    On the drop down menu, select ALLOWED (or PROMPT).

...SIMPLES.

Oh - I see some of you have already solved it!
    OK - thanks any way!
    06-13-11 01:49 AM
    can't seem to view this type of PDF downloaded from online broadsheet. :|

i can open all other pdf files i put in

BusinessWorld Online Edition | Philippine Business News & Analysis: Digitized
    Last edited by thatRICO; 06-14-11 at 01:35 AM.
    06-13-11 09:19 PM
    Finally figured this out - mine was a bad SD Card slot. I suddenly was unable to open email attachments on my PB (it worked fine previously). I realized that it started happening after I dropped my BB (shocker).

The PB only stores attachments on the BB SD card (I have not been able to find a way to change this, so dont ask). Therefore, your SD card must be working.

Using OS 6 Go to options > Device > Storage > make sure that your media card is recognized and that the storage is showing that there is space. Mine was saying "A media card is not presently inserted in the device". I tried removing it, reinserting it over and over. I tried it in a friend's BB and it worked fine. I tried his in mine. Not recognized. Therefore it was my SD slot that was bad, NOT the card.

I was going to buy a replacement SD Card slot and put in myself. I found a great 6 min YouTube video to dissasemble my Bold 9700. Took it apart and what do you know? The ribbon cable for my SD reader was loose (it resides right about where my BB hit the pavement a week ago). Plugged it back in, made sure it was secure, booted up and I'm back in business. Problem solved!

Hope this helps.
    06-25-11 10:19 AM
    you need to edit the application permissions file for adobe.
    go to security - application permissions - select adobe reader - edit file permissions to allow the application to access files stored on your playbook.
    09-19-11 06:39 AM
    it don't work for me when i try to open pdf file that is only 138kb it can open it only empty gray screen pop up. Help please.
    10-14-11 07:53 PM
    you need to edit the application permissions file for adobe.
    go to security - application permissions - select adobe reader - edit file permissions to allow the application to access files stored on your playbook.
    When I open Security>Application Permission>there is no adobe reader on my PB. Do I have to download it first?
    10-14-11 09:25 PM
    Its on mine and I don't think I downloaded it, it was already on the PB.
    10-15-11 05:27 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD