having a problem mount as a volume, i have blackbery desktop and device manager installed. I have no problem with my 9930, but my playbook will not mount and shows up as "unknown device".

I did find one workaround by setting development mode with a password and then it works, But i'd rather not have a password and dev mode on.

I've tried uninstalling the device in hardware manager and uninstalling reinstalling desktop manager. nothing seems to help...except development mode.
    02-17-12 09:13 AM
    Computer? Win, if so, what version?

Have you tried using the ip address method?
    02-17-12 09:39 AM
    Tried on win7/winxp/ubuntu. Also tried it with wifi/bluetooth both on and both off.
    02-17-12 09:42 AM
    Did you turn on sharing for USB and/or WiFi?
    02-17-12 09:52 AM
    Did you turn on sharing for USB and/or WiFi?
    yes, i did.
    02-17-12 09:58 AM
    having a problem mount as a volume, i have blackbery desktop and device manager installed. I have no problem with my 9930, but my playbook will not mount and shows up as "unknown device".

I did find one workaround by setting development mode with a password and then it works, But i'd rather not have a password and dev mode on.

I've tried uninstalling the device in hardware manager and uninstalling reinstalling desktop manager. nothing seems to help...except development mode.
    I've been having the same problem every since I upgrade my desktop manager. I wish there was a way to down grade to the one that worked.
    02-17-12 10:18 AM
    The first time I connected my PB via USB, Windows 7 x64 searched for drivers and after a short time it installed drivers that included Blackberry Device Manager which in turn installed the PB as Drive Z: and opened the PB file system folders. If you are missing that icon in your right side group that may be your problem. If you have it and click it on hookup to your PB what do you see?

Sorry, just reread and you do have the BDM installed. False Alarm!!!
    Last edited by tofnow; 02-17-12 at 11:02 AM.
    02-17-12 10:54 AM
    Ok after a very frustrating time with my primary laptop, i tried on my wired desktop voila,, ok
    so whats different,,,well aside from disabling av, malware,spybot etc.. since my laptop is primary, i had disabled all the ms netbios services. Event though app found it etc,, it did not dawn on me this needed net bios,, as such a etc host entry will do, but u will need to check the IPIPA address that is given to the Playbook.

What was strange is the BB app sees the default and allows backup, but the media folder needed netbios for resolution..before it is discovered and mounted.

it maps as PlayBook<space>[Pin:<space>yourtabpinid]\media

from net use command it resolves to \\ipipaaddress\media
    and a second hidden share to \\ipipaaddress\dtm

note the start command and net use work arounds will not work till you reenable netbios,
    FF22 likes this.
    12-01-12 09:31 PM
    Vandalay - thanks for posting your solution - it might help someone else down the line. I will admit some of what you posted is arcane to me!
    12-01-12 11:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD