Hello, peeps.

I'd extracted some .zip archives into my Downloads folder on my Playbook (running the latest 2.X) using the system file manager app, however, now, the folders created by it refuse to get deleted. I've tried everything - deleting via DM, deleting via AIR Browser - nothing works. It looks like permissions on the folders got messed up somehow, because when I try and delete it from Windows Explorer (via mounted network drive), it says that it needs permission from "UnixUser/something". So, is there any way to fix this, or do I need to do a full security wipe?

Thanks!
    03-02-12 10:40 PM
    Did you Restart?

To fix an issue, try these in order:

Restart using the Battery Icon and press Restart

Press and hold the Power button for 10-15 seconds. Then leave it for 20-30 seconds and see if it restarts.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. Keep holding past the 3-choice options screen. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shot and probably missed the PowerButton.
    03-02-12 11:35 PM
    Thanks for the reply, F2.

Unfortunately it didn't fix the problem. If anyone has a Playbook that they're okay with security-wiping, could they try to download and extract David Lanham • Entropy and see if the problem repeats itself?
    03-02-12 11:50 PM
    Downloaded, extracted, deleted fine using airbrowser. In Windows, try taking ownership.
    03-03-12 12:05 AM
    @saudadeii

Thanks for trying. "Access Denied" when trying to take ownership. Sounds like a security wipe is the only option. That'll get rid of the files, right? And it should be possible to restore from a backup after that?
    03-03-12 12:53 AM
    Thanks, anyway. I ended up doing a full security wipe.
    03-03-12 03:32 AM
    Well, not might be a good time to RE-experiment with that file, extraction and folders and see if it happens again before you start restoring everything else. Can I ask, you mention you used the "system file manager app" - which app is that?

Are you the Administrator of your desktop computer?
    03-03-12 09:10 AM
    Well, sorry you had to wipe it. I took a look at mine under windows and examined the security on the few files in Downloads that I have.

Mine show "Everyone" with Read/Write.
    100001000 (Unix User\100001000) with Read/Write
    10000 (Unix Group\10000) with Read/Write

So something in the permissions got whacked. I looked around at other files (Music, Documents, Photos, etc.) and saw some other user and groups assigned. I'm gonna try and find some documentation about defined users and groups on the PB.
    03-03-12 09:32 AM
    @F2

Yes, I'm the administrator. I was talking about the File Manager app - it extracts .zip archives if you try to open them.
    03-03-12 09:52 AM
    I am experiencing the same problem and it is very frustrating. I just did a wipe of my device a few days ago and had everything back how I wanted it and now I have to do it again because of this stupid bug. Ridiculous.
    04-22-12 11:51 PM
    same problem here... the files in question are only a few KB so I won't bother doing a security wipe just yet. However, I can imagine if they took up a bit of room it would be really annoying not being able to get rid of them!
    10-08-12 09:24 PM
    Has anyone found a solution to this issue other than doing a security wipe? This annoying bug never got fixed.
    03-04-15 02:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD