Last night, I suddenly/alarmingly/mysteriously cannot connect my charger to the Playbook!! It's just a month old and there were no signs or instances of this problem prior!! I have tested both the charger and the OEM cable to connect to PC and neither will fit into the USB port (fully connect).

What should I do?? I can't even create a backup of the PB in that the cable to connect/sync with my PC doesn't fit/connect properly now!!

If I return it to Future Shop will they just forward to BB and I'll be without my PB for God knows how long???

Any and all advice or direction will be greatly appreciated.
    12-24-12 07:41 AM
    Looking at the USB port with the screen facing up you should see a black plastic tab. That tab should be closer to the bottom or back of the PB. If you try to plug in the cable upside down it can push the tab out of place. When you plug in the cable the BB logo should face up.
    You can also use WiFI file transfer to get your important files off the PB.
    12-24-12 08:46 AM
    After looking as suggested by Chaddface, you can VERY GENTLY try moving it back into place - it should be level and not slanted/bent either up or downward.
    12-24-12 10:47 AM
    So, spent most of the morning (December 24th/12) at Future Shop trying to demonstrate the connection issue/problem with my (almost) brand new PB!! After several techs had inspected my device and determined that there was indeed, a connection issue (with the Female connector within the PB itself), they informed me that I could simply exchange for a new device or return it!! Problem being, Future Shop has NO inventory/stock remaining and do not expect to receive any!!
    Now I need to return the PB to RIM for exchange/repair - so, how do I go about completing this return? And who pays for the postage etc.?
    All advice and/or direction appreciated!!
    P.S. Is it within my (consumer) "rights" to request/demand a NEW device as opposed to a refurbished/repaired version??

Thanks.

John A.
    12-24-12 03:41 PM
    You could run into problems if the port looks damaged - Rim will not warranty user damage. Not saying that you did it but it would be subject to their discretion. You might be safer getting that refund and trying to find another one elsewhere.

Good luck
    12-24-12 05:02 PM
    Are you still having trouble putting the plug in? Does that black tab look out of place?

RIM will pay for postage both ways in any case. Worse case you could get a rapid charger to charge and use wifi to transfer files. Can't connect OEM charger-usb-20port.jpg
    12-24-12 05:19 PM
    Hi Chaddface:
    If we're viewing our PB from the same perspective/position as in your attached photo, then our (black) tab is indeed, significantly higher/above yours in the port/slot!! We've received an RMA # from RIM along with the attendant .pdf outlining Legal, responsibilities, possible $$$ and exclusions etc. How concerned should we be re the discretionary assessment of the problem by RIM??
    Thanks for your input and helpful assistance with our issue!
    12-24-12 07:09 PM
    Well, I guess if Rim does not fix it under warranty, you can then return it to the shop - they are pretty fast with turning around rma items. Except for Christmas, you should get the box "tomorrow" so Weds, ship it back later Weds, you should have it back by Tue/Wed of next week with any luck.
    12-24-12 07:26 PM
    My dilemma is that we both really enjoy the PB!! If RIM will not repair under warranty, and I return it to Future Shop (in time, i.e. by January 6th/13) there is no inventory with which to receive a replacement/new PB!! Then what - we're probably "left out in the cold" wouldn't you think?
    12-24-12 08:01 PM
    The charger cable is slightly Trapezoidal and the narrower part should be UP or toward the screen. Some folks have taken to add a dab of WhiteOut or nail polish to distinguish sides - showing that it is not an uncommon mistake to try putting the cable in upsidedown.

They don't have any inventory at other stores that they can ship to your location? Well, good luck
    12-24-12 09:18 PM
    The charger cable is slightly Trapezoidal and the narrower part should be UP or toward the screen. Some folks have taken to add a dab of WhiteOut or nail polish to distinguish sides - showing that it is not an uncommon mistake to try putting the cable in upsidedown.

They don't have any inventory at other stores that they can ship to your location? Well, good luck
    12-24-12 09:19 PM
    As F2 suggested, you may want to gently push that tab down with some non-metallic object. Looking at mine there is very little space between the bottom of the port and the tab. The bottom being towards the back of the PB. If RIM receives the PB in the state you describe they may deny warranty service. There have been a few people that managed to just push the tab back into place with no harm. It can't hurt to try.
    The PB uses a micro AB port and a micro B charger. That makes it easy to plug the cable in upside down and bend the plastic tab. Study the business end of the charger cable and the port. You will see where the tab should be. The BB logo on the cable faces up(screen side) when plugging in. Good luck.
    12-24-12 09:55 PM
    I carefully used a toothpick to realign the female end on the Playbook...worked right away.
    02-20-13 05:35 PM
    good to hear.

for others - only use gentle pressure to realing the inside connector. and get a rapid charger since the connectornmay be weakened if misaligned and straightened
    02-20-13 06:58 PM