Hi Everyone

I have a 16GB PB that I can't seem to charge above 82%. I have tried with both the standard charger as well as the magnetic one and it makes no difference. (I know that a lot of you with PB's that won't charge at all have it a lot worse.)

Is there some method of charging that would allow it to get past 82%? My charging habits have not been good (letting it drain completely before charging) so I'm guessing that this has damaged the battery and brought down its capacity.

Thanks
    05-31-14 10:21 AM
    after 3 years the battery might just be losing capacity.
    05-31-14 10:44 AM
    You could get Battery Guru to check charging and discharging and measure capacity. Wluld be interesting to note at what voltage the charging stops. If you discharged the battery completely you would have trouble recharging. The PB software gets info from the built in battery controller supplied with the battery. The result is that the PB should shut down when the battery voltage drops to 3.53 volts. The voltage measured is for the battery under load which is not the same as the quiescent voltage after it has been under no load for some time. The maximum charge voltage allowed is 4.2 volts.

Try recharging the battery with all apps except for Battery Guru closed and in airplane mode. I assume you are using a Blackberry charger designed for use with the PB. Chargers including wires can go bad.
    peliopoulos likes this.
    05-31-14 11:02 AM
    Replace your battery
    05-31-14 12:04 PM
    Replace your battery
    May come to that but not cheap or easy.
    05-31-14 04:04 PM
    Thanks everyone for your responses. It looks like I will have to live with it as it dies off. On the bright side, once this tablet dies, I'll have an excuse to get a proper Android tablet to replace it.
    05-31-14 08:03 PM
    Thanks everyone for your responses. It looks like I will have to live with it as it dies off. On the bright side, once this tablet dies, I'll have an excuse to get a proper Android tablet to replace it.
    Why not get an Android tablet now? And what are you thinking of as a proper Android tab?

And if you have loaded a bunch of Android apps on the PB they may be contributing to your charging problems.
    05-31-14 08:28 PM
    Why not get an Android tablet now? And what are you thinking of as a proper Android tab?
    Can't quite justify spending the money yet on another tablet just because I've lost some battery, but I imagine that will be the next step. My wishlist is name-brand, quad-core, 1GB RAM, 8" 1280X800 screen, microSD slot. Acer, Kobo and Lenovo put their lower end stuff on sale often enough that I will likely bite the bullet soon. Most importantly, it's the access to Android App store to put on apps to keep my daughter entertained.

All in all, for $99 this has been quite a deal and we have gotten nearly two years of use out of it. Between this, the $119 64GB PB and the $150 32GB HP Touchpad (now running KitKat), I've done well in the tablet arena as far as bang for the buck.

And if you have loaded a bunch of Android apps on the PB they may be contributing to your charging problems.
    Interesting, I hadn't heard that before. I do have a lot of those on there.

UPDATE: I charged it to 82% on the micro-USB charger and then connected it to the magnetic charger which brought it up to 93%. After some usage, I connected it back to the magnetic charger and then it peaked at 82% again.
    06-02-14 07:12 PM
    Can't quite justify spending the money yet on another tablet just because I've lost some battery, but I imagine that will be the next step. My wishlist is name-brand, quad-core, 1GB RAM, 8" 1280X800 screen, microSD slot. Acer, Kobo and Lenovo put their lower end stuff on sale often enough that I will likely bite the bullet soon. Most importantly, it's the access to Android App store to put on apps to keep my daughter entertained.

All in all, for $99 this has been quite a deal and we have gotten nearly two years of use out of it. Between this, the $119 64GB PB and the $150 32GB HP Touchpad (now running KitKat), I've done well in the tablet arena as far as bang for the buck.

Interesting, I hadn't heard that before. I do have a lot of those on there.

UPDATE: I charged it to 82% on the micro-USB charger and then connected it to the magnetic charger which brought it up to 93%. After some usage, I connected it back to the magnetic charger and then it peaked at 82% again.
    Get Advanced App Manager from the app store It is an Android port. Use it to see if you can find anything running after you think you have shut everything down. Also if you don't already have it get Ghost Commander, another Android port, to help you manage your Android apps. As before Battery Guru will help you check all sorts of things about your battery including battery health. Don't know what battery app you are using but if you must stick with Android, Battery Watch will give you a voltage. My theory in saying that apps running in the background might be interfering was that the amount of charge you can put into the battery at 90% is tapered down and that this might limt the level. reached if background consumption is high. However the magnetic power supplies power to running apps without needing to go through the battery so my theory might not be good.

Not sure that there is anything really wrong with your battery. Battery with really poor health down to 80% or below will still show charge to 100%. Keeping voltage below 4.0 adds to battery life.

Interesting that you also have an HP touchpad and are running KitKat. You probably know much more about Android than I do. I haven't done that with mine and still have webOS 3.0.5 on it. Frankly don't like Android that much on my Nexus 7 (2012).
    peliopoulos likes this.
    06-02-14 08:23 PM

Android apps have nothing to do with charging. Where are you getting your information from? Aliens?

Trusted Member Genius on Verizon 10.3.0.296/442
    06-07-14 05:01 AM
    Android apps have nothing to do with charging. Where are you getting your information from? Aliens?

Trusted Member Genius on Verizon 10.3.0.296/442
    Your gears are grinding.
    06-07-14 09:09 AM