Hi,

I hope someone can help. I cannot get the slider to respond so I can alter the the brightness of my Playbook screen. Also, my battery will not charge beyond 78%. Everything was working till I upgraded from the OS 2 Beta to the official OS 2.

I have done everything I can think of to fix these issues including multiple hard reboots, security wipes, and reinstalling 0S 2 to the factory settings (4 times).

I have talked to support many times. The last advice I got was that the two issues are related. According to Blackberry, once the battery is re-calibrated both problems will be resolved. I was told to allow the battery to drain fully and recharge for 5 to 7 complete cycles.

I just completed my sixth recharge and the problems are still there....

Any ideas, suggestions, help or support would be great.
    02-27-12 03:51 PM
    On my end my brightness slider randomly stops working fairly often - but also starts working again randomly as well. Maybe this is a common os2 glitch?
    02-27-12 04:17 PM
    Can help out on the brightness slider.
    I have set my PB to auto dimming. So I was using the PB outdoors today and it went to full brightness. I tried to reduce the brightness but the slider was greyed out and wouldn't respond.

So I just covered the light sensor with my thumb and the slider started working again.

I guess its just a feature of auto dimming in high ambient light conditions.
    02-27-12 04:22 PM
    When you drain and recharge are you draining until the PB turns off and recharging until you see the plug icon on the battery?
    02-27-12 04:22 PM
    When you drain and recharge are you draining until the PB turns off and recharging until you see the plug icon on the battery?
    I do drain till the unit turns on, but when I recharge I do not recall seeing the plug icon even when the unit has been charging overnight using the wall charger. I do see the plug icon when the PB is attached to my laptop, even if the charge is at less than 100% (even if below 50% charge).

While on the Beta, the battery did show the plug icon after being left to charge overnight and the battery indicated it was at 100%. I have always used the wall charger to charge and before the upgrade, I never allowed the PB battery to drain completely.
    02-27-12 05:28 PM
    I have set my PB to auto dimming. So I was using the PB outdoors today and it went to full brightness. I tried to reduce the brightness but the slider was greyed out and wouldn't respond.

So I just covered the light sensor with my thumb and the slider started working again.

I switched the auto dimming setting off but there is still no change.

Where is the light sensor on the PB?
    02-27-12 05:49 PM
    Okay, light dimmer is the LED light...duh.

Tried what sam_77 suggested, but the slider is still greyed out.
    02-27-12 05:59 PM
    The plug icon when connected to your computer probably means the PB is drawing more power the the charge can provide.
    Reloading the OS via desktop manager is about as extreme as we can do. That in combination with the drain/recharge should get you somewhere. If it doesn't you may have to send it for a replacement.
    I assume the slider is greyed out in the settings as well as the under battery icon.
    02-27-12 06:28 PM
    Chaddface,

The reload of OS via the desktop manager has also not been without its own issues. Not sure if this is related to the battery/brightness issues (btw, the slider is grey), but I figured I would explain, just in case it helps.

I did the reload twice and received error messages each time indicating that I had lost my connection and that the download/install did not complete. It appeared that the actual download completed, but the install itself occurred over the air. I am not sure if that is common, but I did tell RIM support and they did not think it was an issue.

After checking the usb connection between the computer and PB, I found there was nothing loose or faulty. Wifi on my end was stable, and other updates using DM had worked. I uninstalled and reinstalled DM just to be sure, did another OS reload and got the same result.

I can keep doing the recharge cycles if it might recalibrate the battery.How many cycles should I do before I call it quits? I really do not want to send my PB in for repair, as I can't imagine being without it
    02-27-12 10:50 PM
    Mines just done the same. I haven't tried any of the suggestions or played about yet. If I get anywhere I'll let you know.
    02-28-12 05:27 AM
    Mines just done the same. I haven't tried any of the suggestions or played about yet. If I get anywhere I'll let you know.
    Update: Went back to the PB about an hour after it started - and it was all back to normal again. When it went off it was in very bright ambiet light (sunlight from window).
    02-28-12 05:55 AM
    Chaddface,

The reload of OS via the desktop manager has also not been without its own issues. Not sure if this is related to the battery/brightness issues (btw, the slider is grey), but I figured I would explain, just in case it helps.

I did the reload twice and received error messages each time indicating that I had lost my connection and that the download/install did not complete. It appeared that the actual download completed, but the install itself occurred over the air. I am not sure if that is common, but I did tell RIM support and they did not think it was an issue.

After checking the usb connection between the computer and PB, I found there was nothing loose or faulty. Wifi on my end was stable, and other updates using DM had worked. I uninstalled and reinstalled DM just to be sure, did another OS reload and got the same result.

I can keep doing the recharge cycles if it might recalibrate the battery.How many cycles should I do before I call it quits? I really do not want to send my PB in for repair, as I can't imagine being without it
    I'm not a debrick expert. I have only done it once with no errors. Could there be some DM related backup files causing issues?
    After you do the debrick(reload the OS) do you have to go through the setup process again?
    Just to be clear-
    You connect PB to desktop manager and restart the PB. Wait for the popup with the option to update.
    Maybe a security wipe before the debrick process?
    I have read about some DM issue in the newest release but don't recall the problem.
    Sorry I'm out of ideas.

My slider will Grey out in bright light but comes back.
    Last edited by Chaddface; 02-28-12 at 06:26 AM.
    02-28-12 06:23 AM
    I haven't noticed any problems with mine so far. I know that doesn't help other than it isn't happening to everyone.
    02-28-12 06:32 AM

Worked, thanks.
    12-23-12 03:42 AM
    It works for me. I just tested it.
    Good work!!!!
    05-01-13 08:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD