I used to be able to enter my PB's IP address into my File Explorer, and voila, PB folders in which to copy files into - no problems whatsoever.

Then a few weeks ago, it stopped working, no settings changed on my PC or PB.

• My PB has File Sharing, Wi Fi Sharing and Password flipped to "On" in the Storage and Sharing section of the PB Config
    • I've rebooted the PC, PB, router, switches, everything on my network - no luck
    • I can't ping the PB
    • I tried my laptop, and same result - can't connect to the PB

When I connect the PB via USB and use the Desktop Manager software, everything works nicely. So I can still pass files with a hard connection.

I'm out of tricks to try to get this working again! Any help from anyone is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Chris
    06-02-12 02:03 AM
    Make sure you're using the correct ip address for the PB.
    06-02-12 02:16 AM
    Thanks for the tip pacoman03

I've setup a static IP, so I'm definitely using the right IP.
    06-02-12 02:21 AM
    Which version of Windows are you using?
    06-02-12 02:27 AM
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on my PC
    Windows XP SP 3 on my laptop

Neither can connect to the PB via Wi Fi
    06-02-12 02:28 AM
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on my PC
    Windows XP SP 3 on my laptop

Neither can connect to the PB via Wi Fi
    This is for xp
    When you pull down the menu and click on run... You enter you IP address.
    \\xx.x.x.x
    Should,do look like that with x numbers
    06-02-12 02:36 AM
    Yup, that's the syntax I've always used.

It all worked fine for me up until a couple weeks ago. I didn't change anything. I'm completely stumped.
    06-02-12 02:38 AM
    Yup, that's the syntax I've always used.

It all worked fine for me up until a couple weeks ago. I didn't change anything. I'm completely stumped.
    Have you checked your IP address? Mine has changed before. Last number was 2, now 3.
    06-02-12 02:41 AM
    I'm using a static address. I tried changing it, but still didn't make a difference.
    06-02-12 02:42 AM
    The pb can still use your wifi in other cases? Appworld works? Turning off bridge (if you have a bb phone) and you can still browse using the web?

How did you "reboot?"

Try each method below:

To fix an issue, try these in order:

Restart using the Battery Icon and press Restart

Press and hold the Power button for 10-15 seconds. Then leave it for 20-30 seconds and see if it restarts.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. Keep holding past the 3-choice options screen. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shot and probably missed the PowerButton.

You might want to also remove your static address and allow the "automatic" and try the new address?

Then there's the drastic steps - either a security wipe or debrick!

edited to add: You can also address your pb using its Tablet network name (Storage and Sharing option, NetworkIdentification-Properties.

Mine is like: \\Playbook-x9y9

In Explorer address line.
    Last edited by F2; 06-02-12 at 09:29 AM.
    06-02-12 09:24 AM
    I have the same problem, I also have win7 64. I have done all the troubleshooting one can do. It's a issue with no fix known. Mine worked until about a month ago. I think it's a issue with win7 and not playbook.
    06-02-12 02:17 PM
    I used to be able to enter my PB's IP address into my File Explorer, and voila, PB folders in which to copy files into - no problems whatsoever.

Then a few weeks ago, it stopped working, no settings changed on my PC or PB.

• My PB has File Sharing, Wi Fi Sharing and Password flipped to "On" in the Storage and Sharing section of the PB Config
    • I've rebooted the PC, PB, router, switches, everything on my network - no luck
    • I can't ping the PB
    • I tried my laptop, and same result - can't connect to the PB

When I connect the PB via USB and use the Desktop Manager software, everything works nicely. So I can still pass files with a hard connection.

I'm out of tricks to try to get this working again! Any help from anyone is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Chris
    Try turning off the password and see what happens. Also check the PlayBook settings to make sure you have the correct IP. The PlayBook likes the change its IP every once in a while.
    Scotter75 likes this.
    06-02-12 04:48 PM
    Again ive done everything i could and im perfectly capable of troubleshooting every area needed.

it just wont show up at all.
    06-02-12 04:52 PM
    On my Win7 Pro 64 bit, if I launch "computer", then click on network at the bottom of the left column, my playbook will show in the upper right after just a couple of seconds. Have you tried that way to access it? Have you tried to unc to it by name? Have you seen if adding an entry for it in your host file helps (since it has a static ip)?
    06-02-12 05:13 PM
    I couldn't connect to my PB from my linux laptop or my Win7 desktop. PB could get internet connection though.

On you Playbook under settings go to WIFI.

Click on the WIFI symbol with the question mark on the bottom left of that screen.

Under the Diagnostic Information drop-down select PING

Then try pinging your computers.

I had to ping each computer before the individual computer could ping back.

Hope that helps.
    ryder4587 likes this.
    06-08-12 11:28 PM
    I just tried to access my PB wirelessly and it didn't work either.

File Sharing was already flipped to ON, but Wi-Fi Sharing was set to OFF. I flipped Wi-Fi Sharing to ON, and it started to work!!! :-) I left Password Protect at OFF.

I'm running Win7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit, PB: 2.0.1.358

PB gets dynamic IP address. It doesn't show up in the PC's Network file manager. I just typed in the PB's IP address in the Run Dialogue Box.
    Last edited by WarpFactor10; 06-12-12 at 09:55 PM.
    06-12-12 05:17 PM
    One possible workaround is to try the reverse of what you're trying to do, i.e., try accessing your PC wirelessly from your PB. There are at least 3 programs that will let you do this, Ghost Commander, ES File Explorer, and Lan File Explorer. Lan File Explorer needs a server to be running on your PC to connect while ES and Ghost do not. ES and Ghost are free, Lan is not. Ghost and Lan are available in app world, ES needs to be sideloaded.
    06-12-12 08:18 PM
    Make sure there was no change to your router if your using one. As well check firewall or antivirus to make sure they are not blocking parts of your network.
    06-12-12 08:57 PM
    I have a similar issue - WINDOWS SECURITY is demanding a user name and password - and my network password will not work - and there is no password on the playbook - it shows the window CERTS and MEDIA but will not let me open the files without ACCESS DENIED and INPUT USER NAME AND PASSWORD
    08-13-12 11:14 AM
    Rob: (bob?), as I replied in the other thread, I enter "playbook" as the ID and my pb's password. I DO have a password for my pb. This type of prompt occurs sometimes if I have no access the pb in a while or just happens.
    08-13-12 12:42 PM
    Have you entered the WiFi File Transfer password on your Playbook?
    08-13-12 02:03 PM
    Had the same issue on both of my 64gb playbooks... 2.0.1.840 & 2.0.1.668

Windows 7 machine just stopped pinging them.. nothing had been changed. Everything else worked, inetrent etc on all devices...

My fix was removing the wifi hardware in the device manager on the windows 7 machine, doing a rescan for hardware and reinstalling the wifi hardware.

Then once I reconnected to wifi network,I could ping playbooks again. Very strange as everything else worked.

Hope this helps somebody!
    08-31-12 11:57 AM
    I have a Netgear WNDR 3800 and it has "Guest Accounts without sharing". I had the Playbook setup to both "Guest Account" and the "Regular Account with sharing" and the Playbook would randomly change accounts. So I removed the password for the Guest Account without sharing and I now have WiFi sharing back on my Playbook to my computer.
    09-09-12 07:59 PM
    My computer laptop or desktop could not see my playbook on the network.
    (Could see them a couple of days ago). The WiFi on the playbook
    worked ok... I could get to yahoo.com etc. Here's what I did to
    make the playbook visible again on the network.
    - Shut down and restart the Playbook -- touch battery,turn off
    - Boot up Playbook (press power on button)
    - go to wifi settings (setting, wifi)
    - turn off wifi
    - turn on wifi
    - reconnect wifi
    - touch your network to connect to it
    - check if the Playbook is visible on the network on the laptop (start button, network)

HTH
    12-12-12 11:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD