Hi all,

My girlfriend bought me a Playbook for my birthday.

I have set up a lot of stuff with the exception of email, calendar, contacts etc. I have all this data in a gmail account.

The process of syncing my Google account seemed like it would be pretty straightforward, but it just doesn't seem to want to work!

Under Settings > Accounts on the Playbook, I have tried setting up a Gmail account and a Hotmail account, since I have these accounts already.

I also tried to set up my Gmail account manually as a IMAP account or POP account, using the details found here:

IMAP
    POP

With the Gmail account, I get this message:

"The server m.google.com for account [email protected] is not responding. The server name in your account settings might be incorrect, or the server might be temporarily offline. Check your system settings to make sure the server name is correct and try again"

With the Hotmail account, I get this message:

"Account Hotmail - [email protected] failed testing with current settings"

The only accounts I have managed to synch with the Playbook are my Facebook and Twitter account. Not very useful unless you're 14.

I am using my Playbook over my home wifi connection (Plusnet in the UK) and am running OS version 2.0.1.358.

Hope someone can help,

Thanks,

Andy
    Last edited by amarsha4; 09-23-12 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Solved
    08-30-12 05:51 PM
    Try again after you've turned off bluetooth on the PB ... and then do a re-start.
    08-30-12 06:03 PM
    Hi Heavens1, thank you for your reply.

I turned off Bluetooth then restarted the Playbook and tried to add the Gmail account again, with the same result

Thanks anyway!
    08-30-12 06:13 PM
    Can I suggest that you try adding a non GMAIL email account?

Maybe Yahoo?

I appreciate that you may need to create a new email account for testing purposes - but it may help work this out ......
    2010GOLD likes this.
    08-30-12 06:16 PM
    Have a look through this how to article re setting up PB accounts from earlier this year:

Setting up email, Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn accounts on BlackBerry PlayBook 2.0 | CrackBerry.com
    2010GOLD likes this.
    08-30-12 06:19 PM
    Hi Heavens1, thanks for helping me, and sorry for the delay in my reply.

I have just set up a Yahoo! account and this synched fine. As did my Facebook and Twitter accounts.

Any idea why my Gmail would be different?

Thanks!
    09-11-12 03:17 PM
    I just set up my Gmail account on my playbook. You probably already did these suggestions but here goes.
    Delete any Gmail accounts on your playbook than reboot it.
    After hitting add new account and email hit advanced settings.
    Choose Gmail
    Leave domain blank
    Make sure you are not putting your email address under screen name.
    Enter user name full email address and password and hit continue.
    09-11-12 04:08 PM
    hotmail was mentioned. that one works for me as emsil and cslender via method "exchange activesync" with push. just once within 4 months i had to delete and recreate the account on the pb

just as a hint

Gesendet von meinem BlackBerry Playbook "Android Player" mit Tapatalk
    09-11-12 04:35 PM
    Thanks to CB forum and posters i was able to fix the hotmail issue. I took advantage of the sales and bought a second PB. I had a devil of a time and a ton of frustration with the email issue. Reading posts, I simply went to advanced settings and changed m.hotmail.com to col-m.hotmail.com and all is working well. Receiving mail and notifications. Also the heating and battery drain issues have been fixed with the simple change. Again thanks to crackberrians.
    09-11-12 11:03 PM
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I took this tablet to my mother's house and attempted to set up my Gmail through her wireless connection. This worked absolutely fine and all my emails and calendar entries were synced.

As soon as I got home, however, the same problem prevented me from connecting to the Gmail account.

Anybody any clue as to what could be causing this disparity in wireless connections?

Thanks,

Andy
    09-19-12 09:32 AM
    Try deleting the Wifi network and adding it to the PB again.
    09-19-12 10:39 AM
    Try deleting the Wifi network and adding it to the PB again.
    Hi diegonei, thanks for your reply. I deleted the wifi connection and reinstalled. This did not work. Then I deleted the Gmail account and attempted to reinstall. Again, this did not work.

The only difference between the wifi connections is that the one that worked uses WPA2 and my home one that doesn't work uses WEP. Could this be the problem?

Thanks anyway,

Andy
    09-19-12 05:12 PM
    It is the second thread where I see this WAP2/WEP issue this week... Yes, you probably found the culprit.
    09-19-12 05:41 PM
    I changed the encryption type on my wireless network to 64-bit WEP and the issue is now resolved!

Thanks to everyone for the help.
    09-23-12 02:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD