I set each and every account to "Manual" and disabled Push, but e-mails are still showing up and send/receive function eating my battery, every morning I wake up with dead battery, and everyday I get to the office, I pull out a very warm (pretty hot) playbook from my bag. I think this is mainly due to e-mails.

Is there anyway to stop e-mails from coming? Other than turning the wifi off & on?
    05-16-12 10:40 AM
    Try to avoid "manual". It is well known bug for PB battery life.
    05-16-12 04:06 PM
    I wish there were a way to delete the Messaging app. Totally useless to me since my 9810 is with me all of the time (and it's vastly superior for messaging not only by dint of its keyboard, but also because it works faster). For that matter, I wouldn't mind losing the bridge email app, for more or less the same reasons.
    05-16-12 06:14 PM
    I wish there were a way to delete the Messaging app. Totally useless to me since my 9810 is with me all of the time.
    There is no reason to use the native email application on the tablet if you prefer bridge-mode email or simply using the smartphone for email.
    05-16-12 09:38 PM
    To the OP,

Leave native email alone if you're setting to Manual. It's a battery drainer (a Playbook bug) and it turns your Playbook into a back-pocket warmer.

And yes, I cannot stop Facebook birthday updates and I also cannot stop emails from updating real-time when email is set to Manual.

I gave up. I use my BB Bold 9930 for emails.

Disclaimer: I report bugs for a living as I work in Tech Support for my company. I will NOT contact RIM to fix this. I'll leave this for someone with the energy to do so.
    Sorry.
    05-16-12 09:57 PM
    I have turned off Manual and selected 24hrs. I have no choice. I really want to get my e-mails on my PB "on demand" and not just work e-mails. Sure I use bridge mode as well, but that's just too slow in most cases. Plus, when I travel overseas, I just want to use wifi to get my e-mails, but I guess it is really not an option.

Does it still turn the PB into a pocket warmer if I turn off the wifi? Does it still keep checking for e-mails even though there is no connection? Can't RIM just include an option to disable wifi in stand-by?
    05-16-12 10:59 PM
    I have turned off Manual and selected 24hrs. I have no choice. I really want to get my e-mails on my PB "on demand" and not just work e-mails. Sure I use bridge mode as well, but that's just too slow in most cases. Plus, when I travel overseas, I just want to use wifi to get my e-mails, but I guess it is really not an option.

Does it still turn the PB into a pocket warmer if I turn off the wifi? Does it still keep checking for e-mails even though there is no connection? Can't RIM just include an option to disable wifi in stand-by?
    Better yet, can't rim fix this atrocious bug!!! They've already offered an upgrade of OS2 and this bug shamefully persists. It is really bad when a MANUAL mode uses more battery power than a routine, regular check/retrieve uses.
    05-17-12 12:26 AM
    if you MUST use a workaround, continue to use Manual as you would like but also turn Airplane mode on before entering Standby. This was confirmed by another member. I will NOT be using this workaround though, too irritating

OK, when I find energy to contact RIM about this bug I will.

It's not the only annoying bug I found. The other bug that annoys me is the Idle bug when using Remote Control from 9930 to Playbook. It goes Idle a few seconds into turning the remote control on EVEN while I am actively using it. I traced the problem to be when my 9930 has been powered up for a while and when I have my Voyager Pro+ headset paired with the 9930. When I unpair my Voyager Pro+ and reboot the 9930 the problem never returns. Go figure. Try explaining THAT to RIM. I absolutely hate reporting bugs. I do it for a living. Then you spend all of that energy in explaining and duplicating the issue only to find that the company will not prioritize a fix until a release waaay down the road, IF they decide to fix it.
    05-17-12 10:17 AM

I turn wifi off unless I'm using it and I have no problem with battery drain or the pb becoming a "pocket warmer." I wish there was a way to have it check for emails only if you wanted it to without your pb melting.
    05-17-12 10:51 AM
    I only sync my personal email accounts, my bb has my business emails. Both show up on PB as alerts. I just select and look. My battery does fine, I am not sure what the issue is with the OP. please help me with my confusion.

05-17-12 02:07 PM
    Okay here goes...

The "Hot Pockets" bug have to meet these criteria:
    1. Official OS2
    2. At least one native email account setup
    3. Change setting for Push to Off in email account
    4. Change Sync interval to Manual in the email account

That's it! Be prepared for fast battery drain and a warmed-back Playbook
    P.S. Airplane Mode turned On will fix the problem. Exactly.
    05-17-12 06:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD