Hi. Been reading Crackberry posts for years and recently decided to reuse my Playbook. Still working on getting it connected to a Windows 10 laptop, checking all the posts on the forum - no luck so far (Tried enabling SMBv1 and also turning antivirus off). May end up trying to use an old desktop with Windows 7 and see if I can sideload Dukto.
    12-04-20 09:10 PM
    When you plug the PB into the usb port on PC, it should bring up a pop up offering you choice for the item, along with a drive letter. One option is to run the 'setup.exe' from the playbook drive, and installs the appropriate 'blackberry device manager' You shouldn't need to 'sideload' anything, as PB has all the connection software onboard.
    This should happen automatically when you connect PB to the PC, (I am currently using 2 playbooks on Win 10 machines, and am currently testing this out on another laptop as I write.)
    Just click on the 'run the setup.exe' option, and let the pc install the software directly from the playbook, and then you should be able to access the contents from the 'Desktop Manager' that it installs. The PB should then be seen by the PC as an external drive, with it's own drive letter.
    If you get no response from the PB when connected to the PC, possible that USB cable is faulty, worth trying another one, as some USB cables are just 'power only' and do not support read/write options.
    To double check this, I have just done a complete install, on a laptop, from scratch, using just the laptop, and PB, and all has worked OK.
    Hope this helps..
    Last edited by HughJarsse; 12-06-20 at 02:56 PM. Reason: grammar!!
    12-06-20 02:54 PM
    There used to also be a "localbar" option to sideload from another Playbook or BB10 device, wireless if I remember correctly. However, you need to get the "localbar" bar file loaded on a device somewhere to start.
    12-06-20 03:16 PM
    Thanks for suggestions. When I connected the Playbook I ran the setup and installed Blackberry device manager which showed the Playbook was connected but laptop did not assign a drive letter. The screen on the Playbook showed "Connected to Computer". I even downloaded and installed Blackberry Desktop software on the windows 10 laptop which connected and showed the Playbook model number but displayed a pop-up error message "Blackberry Desktop Software cannot communicate with the connected device". It seems to be connected but not recognized. Cable is fine. I actually have a second Playbook and went through the same routine with same results. I tried enabling SMBv1 and disabling the antivirus on the windows 10 laptop as suggested on other posts on the forum with no success. I did fire up an old desktop with Windows Vista and it connected seamlessly but it would be much more convenient to use the windows 10 laptop. While connected to the old desktop I did manage to sideload dukto that another member on the forum provided so I can now transfer files to and from the laptop via dukto which works reasonably well. Any suggestions?
    12-08-20 05:23 AM
    Any suggestions?
    Some have no end of trouble connecting to a Win 10 machine so I would recommend just using your Vista machine for the few times you will need to connect. Probably not what you want to hear but you might spend hours and hours and never be able to use the Win 10 computer. Good that you found a way at least.
    12-08-20 08:39 AM
    Good point. Probably better to focus on finding software that works to do the things I want to use it for. Any suggestions on best browser, PDF reader, file manager?
    12-08-20 08:53 AM
    Fast Browser

Files and Folders

PDF Reader was a paid app that's no longer in BBW.

But nothing is going to help that GPU with today's PDF's and Websites..... thing is just going to crawl compared with today's hardware.
    12-08-20 02:09 PM
    Good point. Probably better to focus on finding software that works to do the things I want to use it for. Any suggestions on best browser, PDF reader, file manager?
    There is no browser that works decently. At one time you could sideload on older version of DuckDuckGo browser that would work to some extent but that is an exercise in futility now. As mentioned, Files and Folders for File Manager and here is a 10 gig repository of apps and games : https://mega.nz/folder/ExZSRaoY#aoyFV9zfZWC6DmH8HNijZg

PDF: search for an app called qPDF Viewer

Note: many if not most apps do not work anymore but the games all do and some are excellent on the PlayBook even to this day. Basically it's trial and error but you can be sure no social media apps work and anything else that requires an internet link.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    12-08-20 07:41 PM
    There is no browser that works decently. At one time you could sideload on older version of DuckDuckGo browser that would work to some extent but that is an exercise in futility now. As mentioned, Files and Folders for File Manager and here is a 10 gig repository of apps and games : https://mega.nz/folder/ExZSRaoY#aoyFV9zfZWC6DmH8HNijZg

PDF: search for an app called qPDF Viewer

Note: many if not most apps do not work anymore but the games all do and some are excellent on the PlayBook even to this day. Basically it's trial and error but you can be sure no social media apps work and anything else that requires an internet link.
    I never understood why the GPU struggled with large PDF files or even rendering websites without checkerboarding..... yet so many of those games ran very well on the PlayBook.
    12-09-20 01:57 PM
    I never understood why the GPU struggled with large PDF files or even rendering websites without checkerboarding..... yet so many of those games ran very well on the PlayBook.
    Nor I, but you are exactly right about that.
    12-09-20 02:16 PM
    I moved finally to Win 10 on my home desktop and decided to refresh music library on my Playbook. To my surprise, I ran into this problem of PB not completely recognized on PC. I say "not completely" since I could see it in Device Manager but not in Explorer. Blackberry Device Manager confirmed the connection but displayed a "volume not mounted" error.
    Tried various things (starting from replacing the cable, of course) but didn't succeed and used Dukto to move files to the Playbook. Dukto file transfer is a bit slower but it just works. I love this small app. Kudos to its developer.
    But this Win 10 connection issue remains a mystery for me.
    By the way, I moved files between PB and my Win 10 laptop back and forth several times about 1 year ago... Go figure.
    01-08-21 03:55 PM
    This solved it for me
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...7-f038568b04f3
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...the-smb-server

Installed the BB device manager using the setup that is in the PB itself
    dmlis likes this.
    01-15-21 06:06 AM
    This solved it for me
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...7-f038568b04f3
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...the-smb-server

Installed the BB device manager using the setup that is in the PB itself
    Thanks a lot. It helped me.
    02-01-21 02:29 PM
    This is a video I did years ago, it helped a lot of people, have you tried this? Using the unique number given to each playbook.
    02-16-21 10:41 AM