My Dad has bought a new Playbook in UK. The initial setup was fine until the software update. It got to 98% then failed. We've tried again about 100 times but we keep getting the message in the title with various 4 digit codes after.

Is there anything we can do? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    08-26-12 04:09 AM
    hi there diablo, i set up my second playbook yesterday with no problems but that is not what you want to hear but a friend of mine had same problem last week, he called customer support and said they were very helpfull they got him to install the software on his laptop he then plugged in the playbook via usb cable an everything from there was fine. hope this helps, i think they sent the software to his laptop! thxs tony
    08-26-12 04:23 AM
    You could install the newest DM on your computer and with the pb off and DM open plug the pb into your computer and choose update and or repair and it will install the latest OS. I think the pb has to have at least 20% battery life before it will do the update.
    08-26-12 07:37 AM
    You could install the newest DM on your computer and with the pb off and DM open plug the pb into your computer and choose update and or repair and it will install the latest OS. I think the pb has to have at least 20% battery life before it will do the update.
    It will still try to download an update though during setup, but it will be far smaller (10-40mb). With a little luck, whatever issue that was causing the connection problem will be cleared by Desktop Software.
    08-26-12 08:30 AM
    You could also try going to a free wifi location, library, cafe, etc, and see if you get it working there.
    08-26-12 08:59 AM
    Yup, I've been a week into updating to .840 and it's just not happening.. I just never have enough time left and have to break the connection for some reason or the other.. It takes forever..

What i did the last time was hooked my BB phone to Desktop, USB and then ran Desktop manager to access 3G internet from the phone.. Then simultaneously connected the PlayBook and updated the OS. This is because my WiFi is limited to 2mbps.. Which isn't slow by any standards to just download 400mb of update file.. But it just never happens.. I hate the WiFi on the PlayBook and sadly my PlayBook is WiFi only

Speaking of that.. I'll do the same again to update to .840 .. I was just lazy all this while.. Since it should work otherwise also.
    08-27-12 12:55 AM
    Bro, ıt took me a week wıth the same ıssue!

Fırst of all, download latest desktop software.

2. Swıtch off your playbook.

3. Connect playbook to desktop. Ensure playbook does not swıtch on. Hold down the power button when red led appears.

4. An error message wıll appear. Clıck update.
    08-27-12 01:32 AM
    Yup thanks!
    08-27-12 03:07 AM
    Varunsaın, please help me out ın my thread, change BB ID
    08-27-12 04:33 AM
    I took the advice, thanks. Did a hard reset of the PB and connected to computer via USB. It was recognised by Desktop Manager and told me I needed to update, which I did. Took ages but it worked. Thanks everybody.
    08-28-12 11:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD