Hi All,

I find it ridiculous that big corporations like Skype and Netflix have had almost a year to develop apps for PlayBook and potentially BlackBerry 10 and still we have heard nothing.

Whatever their motives, I don't like that the media constantly picks on RIM for lacking these features. Media companies should NOT choose which platforms/devices we use, consumers should. People have short memories, especially in the tech world. It was not so long ago that Apple almost went bankrupt because companies like Adobe did not support their platform. Whether you like Apple or not, they have been hugely beneficial to the tech world and I for one am glad they survived. I think the PlayBook is light-years ahead of the competition in terms of their platform support, & UI and I really want to see it survive.

I for one am voting with my wallet and canceling my Netflix service until they release a PlayBook app or publicly state that they will support PlayBook and I encourage the fantastic crackberry community to do the same! Netflix is in no position to start losing customers. Don't forget that every dollar in profit is worth 10-20x in stock price - hit 'em where it hurts!!

If you do choose to cancel or let know them know how you feel, tweet to @netflix @netflixhelps and @netflix_CA

UPDATE: @netflixhelps replied that they have no plans to support the playbook. Of course this has only angered loyal BlackBerry Fans! Follow the action under hastags #SupportThePlayBook #NetflixForPlayBook #PlayBook
    Last edited by isle989; 02-24-12 at 09:59 AM.
    sagec, miktro, elshaman and 16 others like this.
    02-23-12 02:35 PM
    Hi All,

I find it ridiculous that big corporations like Skype and Netflix have had almost a year to develop apps for PlayBook and potentially BlackBerry 10 and still we have heard nothing.

Whatever their motives, I don't like that the media constantly picks on RIM for lacking these features. Media companies should NOT choose which platforms/devices we use, consumers should. People have short memories, especially in the tech world. It was not so long ago that Apple almost went bankrupt because companies like Adobe did not support their platform. Whether you like Apple or not, they have been hugely beneficial to the tech world and I for one am glad they survived. I think the PlayBook is light-years ahead of the competition in terms of their platform support, & UI and I really want to see it survive.

I for one am voting with my wallet and canceling my Netflix service until they release a PlayBook or publicly state that they will support PlayBook and I encourage the fantastic crackberry community to do the same! Netflix is in no position to start losing customers. Don't forget that every dollar in profit is worth 10-20x in stock price - hit 'em where it hurts!!
    You're insane. My young kids would kill me in my sleep if I canceled Netflix.
    02-23-12 02:43 PM
    I didn't sign up with them in the first place. Good luck with your campaign
    02-23-12 02:44 PM
    I don't have this netflix thing. What is it? Why do so many want it?
    DPSydBerry likes this.
    02-23-12 02:46 PM
    I would cancel Netflix, but it is my dads account and my Ipad using brother would kill him.
    02-23-12 02:46 PM
    You're insane. My young kids would kill me in my sleep if I canceled Netflix.
    Unfortunately... this^^
    02-23-12 02:54 PM
    I cancelled Netflix when they raised their prices and offered less.

Now I rent free from the library or get a PPV or $1 rental at the BlockBuster machine.

Smell ya later, Netflix!
    02-23-12 02:57 PM
    I cancelled netflix a long time ago. I use amazon prime and the various network websites as well as espn 3.
    02-23-12 03:00 PM
    Give it up! NetFlix is not all that great that a national campaign!
    02-23-12 03:05 PM
    Give it up! NetFlix is not all that great that a national campaign needs to be conducted!
    02-23-12 03:06 PM
    For Netflix, think the problem had been DRM and RIM providing the programming tools to implement it.

As for Skype, RIM's biggest customers are phone companies, so I wouldn't see RIM doing anything to offend them while RIM is fighting for market share in the USA, which requires shelf space at the phone stores. In the case of Apple and Skype, Apple had the upper hand with the carriers and can do what ever they want.
    02-23-12 03:10 PM
    We use netflix everyday on the ps3, xbox, nintendo 3ds, Ipad2, nook tablet, pc, and playbook (through playon). I'm currently finishing up White Collar and starting a new series, Supernatural. I love their documentaries, foreign films, old school movies, and the kids love their cartoons.
    02-23-12 03:11 PM
    I won't pay for FIOS and Netflix. I have Amazon Prime and most of the Premium Movie channels have "go" features that will run on the Playbook, but it ain't a tv anyway. My kids bug me about Netflix sometimes, but its usually because they have a handful of movies that they want to see after which they'd probably lose interest.
    02-23-12 03:15 PM
    I think a lot of these companies are waiting to see if the platform survives. I personally believe now that it will, but up until recently RIM had sold very few Playbooks.
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-23-12 03:17 PM
    For Netflix, think the problem had been DRM and RIM providing the programming tools to implement it.

As for Skype, RIM's biggest customers are phone companies, so I wouldn't see RIM doing anything to offend them while RIM is fighting for market share in the USA, which requires shelf space at the phone stores. In the case of Apple and Skype, Apple had the upper hand with the carriers and can do what ever they want.
    I can't see how DRM or programming tools would be a problem as RIM supports C++, HTML5, Native SDK and Android - the most of any platform. Netflix could probably port android over in a week if they wanted to. The market share argument does raise a valid point but the platform hopefully will gain some momentum with 2.0 and competitive prices.
    victor66 and genericscissors2 like this.
    02-23-12 03:20 PM
    Give it up! NetFlix is not all that great that a national campaign needs to be conducted!
    The main gripes with the PlayBook from Tech media is a lack of quality apps. I agree that watching netflix on your playbook has limited usefulness but nonetheless would stem significant criticism.
    02-23-12 03:27 PM
    Netflix probably gains and loses more subscribers every month that there are Playbook owners in the U.S.. Good luck with making that boycott work. People have also been trying to port the Android app over for months. Given it doesn't even work reliably on some Android tablets, it is no surprise it does not work on a Playbook. It is certainly not something that could be done in a week. The reality is though that much like the disruption to Amazon Instant Video, providers have no reason to support every minor player in the market. BTW, if the Playbook supported Silverlight, there would no need for a Netflix app....
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-23-12 03:34 PM
    Netflix probably gains and loses more subscribers every month that there are Playbook owners in the U.S.. Good luck with making that boycott work. People have also been trying to port the Android app over for months. Given it doesn't even work reliably on some Android tablets, it is no surprise it does not work on a Playbook. It is certainly not something that could be done in a week. The reality is though that much like the disruption to Amazon Instant Video, providers have no reason to support every minor player in the market. BTW, if the Playbook supported Silverlight, there would no need for a Netflix app....
    Not sure what market share is in the USA but in Canada a recent poll had it at 15% and growing - Apple is actually losing market share ha!. As for porting it, I am not a programmer but I see technical road blocks that would prevent Netflix from using android or any other language.

As for silverlight, we should start a boycott microsoft campaign until they create a plug-in! Too bad no one really cares!
    02-23-12 03:46 PM
    I used Netflix while house-sitting with a friend for another friend... The selection was so poor, we ended up watching 'Revenge of the Nerds'.

As far as I'm concerned, paying $8/month for mediocre movies i'd never watch unless i have nothing else to do, is still a huge waste of money.

DO NOT WANT.
    Altarocks likes this.
    02-23-12 04:03 PM
    Here is my Netflix experience.
    1. Signed up for Netflix
    2. Waisted an hour searching through nothing but crap
    3. Canceled my subscription to Netflix
    Willard814 and Altarocks like this.
    02-23-12 04:08 PM
    Netflix is dying on the vine folks. I simply cannot understand what the big deal is about it. I rented a movie last night on Amazon and it played perfectly on my TV via the PB HDMI port.
    Altarocks likes this.
    02-23-12 04:12 PM
    Netflix in Canada Is garbage. I had it for the free month and promptly cancelled it. If they improve the selection ill reconsider but for now no way.

I'm not sure I'd regularly use my PB to stream movies anyway. I'd be more apt to use my apple tv, Ps3 or xbox for Netflix if I wanted that.
    Last edited by Beckham23; 02-23-12 at 04:54 PM.
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-23-12 04:15 PM
    Here is my Netflix experience.
    1. Signed up for Netflix
    2. Waisted an hour searching through nothing but crap
    3. Canceled my subscription to Netflix
    i can go one better.

netflix launches in UK for �5 a month
    2 days later, netflix costs �6 a month. WTF?!

and they dont even have the best of content given their competition in the uk (SKY and LoveFilm which is owned by amazon).
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-23-12 04:16 PM
    I would support you OP, but I have nothing to cancel...I saw how worthless and unnecessary having netflix was seeing as I have a comprehensive cable plan that offers pay as you go movies on the latest and greatest movies within a couple of months of release, as well as every old movie and show I would care to watch.
    Willard814 and Altarocks like this.
    02-23-12 04:16 PM
    Netflix is dying on the vine folks. I simply cannot understand what the big deal is about it. I rented a movie last night on Amazon and it played perfectly on my TV via the PB HDMI port.
    Too bad that amazon video is not available in Canada sigh...
    02-23-12 05:16 PM
152 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD