beware... if you read the reviews on app world..... once it's installed it's there to stay, you won't be able to delete it from your playbook!
    07-29-12 08:18 AM
    beware... if you read the reviews on app world..... once it's installed it's there to stay, you won't be able to delete it from your playbook!
    I guess that could be an irritant and it would take up some storage room (don't know how much). But I guess you could shunt it off to a Junk folder and ignore it.
    07-29-12 09:07 AM
    Okay ... I must be doing something wrong. I rented "We Bought a Zoo" but the download was having problems so I X'd out of it reading that I could download it at a later time from My Library. So I went to My Library, pressed the download button and got a message that I had exceeded the number of downloads and would have to re-purchase it - but I haven't been able to download it at all!

So ... what do I do now? Any suggestions?
    07-29-12 09:47 AM
    But in all seriousness, I totally agree with Chad & Gatmyer that once we have "purchased" a movie, we should be able to watch it on a different device if we want to. Often in thinking about these digital versions of things and the rules/limitations thrown up to protect copyright, I find it useful to consider an analogy to old tech. So, if I had bought a VHS tape, I could play it on any VHS player, not just the one brand I own right now, or the brand that is sold by the video retailer. However there was no way to a VHS tape on a beta machine or a laserdisk player. Same thing with LP records, 8-tracks and audio cassettes. If the downloaded movie were stored in .avi format or .mp4 format, then I could play it back on other tablets or computers. I can see that the copyright owners wouldn't want us to be able to burn dvd or bd disks as we could then sell them or easily give copies away, encroaching on their market.
    Once I cooled off a bit I to came to the same conclusion I guess the underlying issue is the huge selection of media delivery devices these days. I will say now I get to buy the same movie two or three times just to whatch them on any of my devices when I want too. That doesnt seem fair.

People complain about the lack of convinient cross platform video chat. Will the next issue be the lack of cross platform video delivery

Hint Hint RIM might be something to get a leg up on
    07-29-12 10:53 AM
    In the US video store came with an O/S update, so its now an intergral part of the O/S.

I think this is a good thing as it shows this app has now become a core feature (like email and calender) that will be continually imporved and udpated. Not just a quick fix feature.

As for the size I think it was only 3mb. So no real impact on storage.
    mincanada likes this.
    07-29-12 10:59 AM
    Okay ... I must be doing something wrong. I rented "We Bought a Zoo" but the download was having problems so I X'd out of it reading that I could download it at a later time from My Library. So I went to My Library, pressed the download button and got a message that I had exceeded the number of downloads and would have to re-purchase it - but I haven't been able to download it at all!

So ... what do I do now? Any suggestions?
    In case you have not solved your rental problem, I suggest you use their contact info. And I wish I could provide that but having never used the video store I don't have that info in my handy file of "all things pb!"

If someone provides it I will add it to my ever growing text file.
    07-29-12 03:40 PM
    My problem hasn't been solved but not for lack of trying. I tried the customer service phone line and was on hold for 40 minutes before I gave up. While I was on hold, I used their contact form and have received an auto-reply giving me an incident number and a promise that someone would contact me asap. So far that's all the progress I've made.

*sigh*
    07-29-12 03:54 PM
    Question? I also installed same on my PB....and it is it's own icon and app....but from what I can deduce, I can NOT delete the "other" Video Store icon (the US one that does not work) for the Canuck one?

Anyone know how to do that maybe?. Or do both have to be on my PB desktop?
    07-29-12 04:01 PM
    My problem hasn't been solved but not for lack of trying. I tried the customer service phone line and was on hold for 40 minutes before I gave up. While I was on hold, I used their contact form and have received an auto-reply giving me an incident number and a promise that someone would contact me asap. So far that's all the progress I've made.

*sigh*
    That's gotta be frustrating. I too tried the 1-800 # and couldn't get an answer. But I found on their website that they have an instant chat feature.

RoxioNow Customer Support

On their support page, in the upper right corner is an option to "chat live with an agent". I tried it yesterday and I got an immediate response. The fellow I chatted with was quite helpful and gave me the info I was after, described in my post above.
    07-29-12 04:01 PM
    That's gotta be frustrating. I too tried the 1-800 # and couldn't get an answer. But I found on their website that they have an instant chat feature.

On their support page, in the upper right corner is an option to "chat live with an agent". I tried it yesterday and I got an immediate response. The fellow I chatted with was quite helpful and gave me the info I was after, described in my post above.
    Thanks Patrick! I'll try that right after dinner!
    07-29-12 04:25 PM
    I can't beleive you guys are installing this crap! all the movies are WAAY over priced esp. for older titles! also plenty of places to stream/get movies for free or less price! sorry but its not worth it!
    07-29-12 06:31 PM
    The Canadians should have had this at the same time we got it in the states! No excuses should have been accepted. It Was a slap in the face to the Canadians who support RIM.
    07-29-12 06:51 PM

Thanks Patrick. That worked well and I was able to email a coy of the session to my inbox! Very handy!
    07-29-12 07:15 PM
    Thanks Patrick. That worked well and I was able to email a coy of the session to my inbox! Very handy!
    That's great!!! If you don't mind, could you post how they resolved your problem in case that might be informative for other readers of this forum?
    07-30-12 09:48 AM
    That's great!!! If you don't mind, could you post how they resolved your problem in case that might be informative for other readers of this forum?
    They refunded the price of the movie ... although I have yet to get an email confirmation of that ... So there was nothing, apparently, that they could do regarding the "exceeded number of downloads" ... despite never having managed to get it downloaded in the first place.

Still a refund is a good resolution.
    07-30-12 10:30 AM
    Downloaded prog.. tried it and it will NOT work..
    Comes up with the following notice..

"unable the contact the video store store.
    Your computers time or date is set incorrectly. Please check your
    settings and restart the application."

My time and date have been set up correctly since I got the PB and still is and both are correct. anyone know what gives.????????????
    07-30-12 08:36 PM
    Anyone successfully purchase and fully download a movie? Downloads until there is less than 3mb left and stops, won't continue, waste of bandwidth downloading over a gig of data to have it stop, and you can't continue, it starts over every time.
    08-04-12 08:06 PM
    Lucky me, they also billed me $25 for a $10 movie. So I get to go through a billing claim. Gonna have to recommend that others don't bother with it, save yourselves a big headache.
    08-04-12 11:00 PM
    So I recently installed Video Store Canada and as well have not had any luck successfully downloading my purchased movie (it gets to within about 10 MBs of completion and then freezes). Any further enlightenment on the topic? Thx in advance, sd
    08-30-12 07:11 PM
    No problems yet for me with using this on the PlayBook.

I did note one video with an option to rent for $4.99 and a second button to rent it for $3.99... no apparent difference between the two.

Also when I tried to buy Ice Age it warned me that because of licensing issues it wouldn't be available for re-download after May 2013... I can live with that though, as my daughter ought to have watched it enough times by then that we won't care.

One item of note though: I tried using the web-based site (BlackBerry Video Store Canada) to search for stuff, and check my history, and wasn't able to log in. Went through various attempts to change my password (which I knew), etc, and a support request with a very friendly and patient fellow who ended up opening a trouble ticket for me.

Turns out the issue is that I was being redirected to the US site, blackberry.roxionow.com. My IP address is definitely Canada-based. I proxied through another Canadian address and that worked fine, and I proxied through a US-based VPS and that redirected, but my home one here in Canada also redirects.

The support request is still open at the moment, but I thought I'd note this here for others. If you have trouble with the Canadian site, check if it's incorrectly redirecting you because it thinks you're in the US.
    08-30-12 07:31 PM
    So I recently installed Video Store Canada and as well have not had any luck successfully downloading my purchased movie (it gets to within about 10 MBs of completion and then freezes). Any further enlightenment on the topic? Thx in advance, sd
    You need to delete the download, then go to your library and hit to download again. If you just restart it from the download screen it will fail again at the same spot.
    08-30-12 09:17 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD