Hello everybody, I hope this thread is not taken wrongly, given the title calling is only calling for Canadians who qualified and are now waiting for their free PlayBook.

With that said, I'm just curious to know how many from Canada have received their Free PlayBook device? If you are happily playing with yours already, can you share a word or two about your first impression of the device! Any pics/vids of you un-boxing your PlayBook is also welcomed.
    04-16-11 06:19 PM
    I'm a Canuck and no such luck yet. They did say they'd send out a shipping notice when it was going to ship... nothing yet. I'm not expecting it to ship until Tuesday am at the earliest so I'm going to buy one (was going to anyway) cause I just can't wait - although I did get to play with one at the Eaton Centre a week or so ago.
    04-16-11 06:23 PM
    I thought people in the Canadian side of the continent would be the first to get their hands on the device. I might go and wait the line with some friends who are planning on buying on day one.
    04-16-11 06:39 PM
    Ha, I cant even get them to reply to my emails about even getting one in the first place. Over 2 weeks and nothing.
    04-16-11 06:41 PM
    Ha, I cant even get them to reply to my emails about even getting one in the first place. Over 2 weeks and nothing.
    If you sent an email to the general box, it might take a lot longer since they are probably getting x,xxx mails every hour. The best thing might be to reach out to one of the guys on the dev blog. The might be able to direct you to the right person or at least answer your email quickly.
    04-16-11 06:49 PM
    If you sent an email to the general box, it might take a lot longer since they are probably getting x,xxx mails every hour. The best thing might be to reach out to one of the guys on the dev blog. The might be able to direct you to the right person or at least answer your email quickly.
    I emailed RIM dev support, and I emailed TMGIdeas (the company sending them out) twice for the past 2 weeks. No replys at all. The instructions say on the official dev forum that we're supposed to email TMG after 5 days if we dont hear anything.

Oh and a asked bbdev on twitter if there was an alternate contact, no reply to that either.
    04-16-11 06:52 PM
    That does seem odd - normally when these companies take too long to answer it's better to give them a call. From the looks of the TMG website they are just setting things up. I would hate to think RIM has asked them not to answer anything regarding the PlayBook.

I emailed RIM dev support, and I emailed TMGIdeas (the company sending them out) twice for the past 2 weeks. No replys at all. The instructions say on the official dev forum that we're supposed to email TMG after 5 days if we dont hear anything.

Oh and a asked bbdev on twitter if there was an alternate contact, no reply to that either.
    04-16-11 07:01 PM
    My developer friends, both in Canada and otherwise still have not received them. One of them is actually thinking about buying one on tuesday! (which you can always return, or sell or trade, once you get your free one)
    04-16-11 07:14 PM
    That does seem odd - normally when these companies take too long to answer it's better to give them a call. From the looks of the TMG website they are just setting things up. I would hate to think RIM has asked them not to answer anything regarding the PlayBook.
    Its not odd, truly its of no real surprise to me any more with RIM. There's no excuse for this at all on their part. I could even understand if it was a single application that feel through the cracks, but I have a handful approved now.

Its poor developer relations. And why does it make me so upset? Because I work my **** off to develop quality BlackBerry aplications in a time where RIM needs as many developers as they can get and whenever I need anything from them Im lucky to get a standard form reply. At this point its not so much about getting a free playbook, it's the way they treat their developers in general. I've bit my tongue for so long when its come to this stuff, hoping they'd change, but I just can't any longer.
    If I may borrow some quotes from the RIM Dev forums:

Is anyone hearing back from [email protected]?

Like a goof, I typed my email in wrong on the order form, and wanted it to be updated. There's no recourse for someone to correct their info (in the event an address was entered wrong, or moving, typos, etc), except for emailing them.

But I haven't heard back and it's been well over a week. What gives? Is RIM and their vendors going back to 14 day response times?
    For a while I was misguided by assuming they'd care but they don't. They have their apps which is all that really mattered here.
    It's another thing noted in my growing list of "Shocking Things About RIM", that they appear not to have made the slightest effort to communicate this in any way to us, when it looks like it should have been pretty easy to do, with many benefits. Another puzzle to ponder.
    Kinda let down by RIM. After all we "developers" who are the ones build up the PB software library in appworld thus far and should be the ones getting the PB first. Just imagine without the "free" PB giveway how many PB apps do you really think they have on launch day? a few dozen...
    Agreed. Especially harsh to hear that they were handing them out to people on the April 14 event to people who haven't done anything really. Everyone here has spent many, many hours and we're still waiting.
    So thanks RIM, cause this is beyond us just not getting our hardware, it's about you dragging us down while the majority of us our doing our best to keep you afloat.
    RIM obviously doesn't actually care about getting any apps or supporting their developers. If they had, they'd have had a 1.0 SDK out by now, mailed out the playbooks, or at least made ANY kind of indication as to when either of those two things would be available.
    It's just disrespectful of RIM to treat their developers this way when they should realize that without the developers, NO ONE is going to buy the playbook. It's already getting slagged in reviews because it's missing applications -- do they really think that dawdling on supporting the only people who have demonstrated a commitment to improving the situation is going to make it any better??
    And one of my personal favs
    Whoever has the job of enforcing the Cone of Silence at RIM will be getting a nice bonus this year, for excellent performance on the job.
    I could post many many more, but I think this gets the point across.
    04-16-11 07:32 PM
    I should also add, and this is generally speaking about RIM, that Ive tried to reach out to them before professionally. Im willing to talk to them and offer my assistance on how they can improve, but they just dont seem interested.

Without going into too much detail, a few months ago a RIM employee reached out to me for feedback, but it was not related to developer stuff. It was something else, but they were responsive and actually listened to what I had to say to improve something. That was a great experience.
    04-16-11 07:44 PM
    Hey Shao128 any luck getting through to RIM?
    04-21-11 09:13 PM
    I held a pretty high level of excitement right from starting my app in December all the way through to launch day which is when they told us we'd get it on (or at least shipped on). 8 days later and I'm starting to get grumpy that they haven't even told us that there is a delay. It had been a generally pleasant programming experience up until this. I really should go remove my app from App World because it still hasn't been tested on an actual device and I'm not sure when it actually will be finally.
    04-28-11 12:28 AM
    No device. No email. No happiness
    04-28-11 01:18 AM
    My is shipped and scheduled for delivery today noon. I ordered my on March 2.

Just received my free PB
    Last edited by Smiley88; 04-28-11 at 12:26 PM.
    04-28-11 01:21 AM
    Update: mine shipped today and is expected to be here (Kingston) some time tomorrow. That excitement is back! I can't remember the exact day I ordered but it was probably near the end - mid to late March - so I'd guess that a tweet I saw claiming everybody's would be shipped by the end of this week was right.
    04-28-11 07:41 PM
    Did you get an email notifying you of shipment?
    04-29-11 01:02 PM
    I just got my email, it has shipped via fedex today. I guess next week I can get it to play.
    04-29-11 02:37 PM
    I just got my email, it has shipped via fedex today. I guess next week I can get it to play.
    Mine arrived today. My developer playbook arrived!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-02-11 06:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD