Have some folks finally powering up their devices. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    01-10-12 10:09 PM
    Yes you can, playbook video chat does not interact with your BB phone.
    01-10-12 10:15 PM
    You just need their BBID. They had to create one to complete the initialization. If you know the email they used for it, try making a contact in the vidchat app and call them.
    01-10-12 10:22 PM
    Not quite sure what you're asking, but video chat has nothing to do with the phones right now. I vidchat with others who don't have BB phones all the time. They do need PlayBooks, of course.
    01-10-12 10:22 PM
    Thanks all. I hear/read so much here about Bridge and tethering that I wasn't sure.
    01-10-12 10:26 PM
    hopefully video chat gets switched to use pin instead of bbid. it makes sense that way
    01-11-12 12:49 AM
    hopefully video chat gets switched to use pin instead of bbid. it makes sense that way
    It doesn't make sense to me. Why would that be an improvement? You'd have to decide which of several devices to try calling someone at.

The fact that things have been tied to PINs (devices) instead of BBIDs (users) is what's been holding up native BBM. I assume they've built the video chat infrastructure from the outset to work properly with BBIDs, not PINs, so I can't see the sense in switching it to something more limited and with a worse user experience.
    01-11-12 08:39 AM
    so how does the system know which device associated with the blackberry id to use? i have 3. pick one. 33% chance of getting it right. at least with a pin the system can see which physical device is connected to it.

and i am more comfortable putting a pin out in the wild for bbm than i am an email address i tend to keep private.
    01-11-12 11:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD