BlackBerry PlayBook book does all the essentials you need to do in a very flawless manner

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 10:25 PM
    get a nexus. it doesn't even need explaining.
    09-23-13 10:29 PM
    What does 7" have to do with it? There are a plethora of 7" tablets...

The cloud is perfect for all sorts of documents and streaming works FINE for movies. That is after all what Netflix, Hulu, etc thrives on.

...and the PB isn't exactly a great gaming tablet given that a lot of games aren't available for it (it's also rather odd given the "Tools, not toys" mantra of this forum).

...BUT if someone really needs the extra space, many tablets do have the ability to add more should you really find yourself in a hotel without wifi, etc....

The PB really doesn't have anything going for it at this point. It's no better off than a Touchpad now... actually, it's worse, unless Android can be loaded to it.

Don't get me wrong, I like the OS (liked it better from Palm) but choosing a PB now is more emotional than practical.
    I'm not buying into a lot of that.

The cloud is no good for watching video when I'm travelling somewhere on a train, or plane.

Secondly, I have no true emotions when buying tech stuff like this - and I can very much assure you I don't buy from the funky bakery that is vendor loyalty. My priorities for a tablet device, being good screen, plenty of storage (local), good video performance, decent performance for TV catchup sites (although to be fair, these days, that's become a lot more of a trivial requirement) a usable browser for light web surfing (email, forums, ebay, youtube). After that, things like HDMI out and semi-decent speakers are a decent draw.

Beyond that, and I'm not hugely swayed - the downside for the PlayBook for me, being no decent support for Kindle, and no support for Skype. But neither are deal breakers, since both are on my Z10, and I can use Kobo on my PlayBooks and Z10.

So for my requirements, the PlayBook meets them pretty well - and still does. See - no emotion there, no brand loyalty. And the reason why it still has relevance, is because they are beautifully and very solidly made. I've got other, cheap-ish Android tablets, and nothing has got anywhere near my PlayBooks in terms of build quality. I've got 2, it doesn't truly make sense to hoard any more of them - but all the same, when it comes to a time where I'll no longer use them, I'll be a little winsome - because I suspect there won't be something easily available at that price point (given the PlayBook's price point since I first got one, just over a year ago) that has all those factors that matter to me, with that sort of build quality.

Now I'm not about to say everybody should rush out and buy a PlayBook - clearly, different people have different priorities - but what I do reject is the notion that people would only buy one, now, because they were either stupid, clueless, or loyal to the brand.
    FF22 and pacoman03 like this.
    09-24-13 03:59 AM
    Wongsky - very well summarized.
    09-24-13 08:36 AM
    Wongsky - very well summarized.
    Agreed.

--Q10 and Canadian all the way! Posted via CB10 on 10.2.0.1443. #IChooseBlackBerry10
    09-27-13 11:01 PM

The cloud is no good for watching video when I'm travelling somewhere on a train, or plane.
    The Seagate GoFlex External WiFi Hard Drive can be used with the BlackBerry PlayBook to stream movies and music.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    10-01-13 01:46 AM
    They're the best, one 16&32gb going up on ebay tomorrow. I rarely use them anymore may as well let someone else enjoy them. The blackberry world is pretty much a ghost town for it now and shows its age.

The browser still sucks and oragami doesn't make it improve that much. Time for another nexus 7.
    10-01-13 02:02 AM
    yes, yes, yes.....
    Great Device.... If you know how to use it properly!!!
    I recommend this Tablet to someone that needs a kool, fast, light, sharp, smooth, multitasking portable computer!!!
    10-01-13 02:04 AM
    The Seagate GoFlex External WiFi Hard Drive can be used with the BlackBerry PlayBook to stream movies and music.
    Solution looking for a problem - I find 64G a reasonable amount of storage for video whilst I'm on my travels (and I have 2 PlayBooks, plus 2 Android tablets, plus an Archos 705 WiFi so I'm not struggling for devices or storage on the move).

Streaming like that, if there's no need, is just going to be more unwieldly and drain the battery quicker.
    10-01-13 03:45 AM
109 ... 345