Good luck.

And something I've learned from my wife. It's easier to ask for forgiveness then it is for permission.

Posted via CB10
    Wanna bet???????

c
    09-18-13 02:49 PM
    The OP was quite specific about requirements and the PlayBook will meet them handily. There were a lot of distractions from those who place a great importance on app selection, hardware specs and upgradeabilty. Bottom line is whether the device does what the OP wants, nothing else.

Yes, Google ended calendar support for non-Android machines last January but BB put out a work-around last May as pointed out by an earlier poster. Yes, anyone who has not had to re-install the operating system is grandfathered and has access to all their Google calendars as before. Anyone else loses that access without the workaround using the direct CalDav connection.

I also agree about the PlayBook OS speed. I don't have any problems with it. I find my PlayBook fast and responsive and love the swiping gestures. That comes much closer to the Q5 experience than any other tablet out there. The Origami browser certainly resolves a lot of frustrations (though not all) with the native browser and existing apps provide the functionality the OP seeks.

Based on those considerations, I would still highly recommend the OP get a 64GB PlayBook at this time.
    +1 For 150 buck a NEW IN THE BOX 64gb unit? Can't beat it. Head on over to Amazon my friend..........

c
    09-18-13 02:54 PM
    As to comments about the OS being sluggish - that's just rubbish. Sure, I've seen issues with browser and keyboard lag, but I've not had any issues with general OS being sluggish. People are either conflating or don't understand the terms.
    Agreed the OS is butter smooth and rarely lags not like my android phone.
    09-18-13 05:12 PM
    Well, then, you need to get rid of that 2010 phone running Gingerbread. But then there is that browser and keyboard lag on the PB, which caused me to do a security wipe every month or so. And I never could use the video camera without it stuttering and pausing. Add to that what others have pointed out -- painfully limited apps, in particular -- and no, I could never recommend buying the PB now, certainly not with something like the Nexus 7 2013 available for about $20 more than the "deal" the OP found for the PB. The PB is so far out of the Nexus 7's league, it's not funny. Although to be fair to the OP and the particular need he expressed, it does run Plex quite well; so if he wants to use it primarily for watching movies and videos streamed from his PC, he couldn't go wrong. However, anything else, no way.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4
    brianatbb likes this.
    09-18-13 06:17 PM
    WTH are you talking about??
    I sync my PlayBook with 5 Google Calendars. It works flawlessly.
    me too (well, 3 Google Calendars and 2 other calendars)
    09-18-13 07:01 PM
    Well, then, you need to get rid of that 2010 phone running Gingerbread. But then there is that browser and keyboard lag on the PB, which caused me to do a security wipe every month or so. And I never could use the video camera without it stuttering and pausing. Add to that what others have pointed out -- painfully limited apps, in particular -- and no, I could never recommend buying the PB now, certainly not with something like the Nexus 7 2013 available for about $20 more than the "deal" the OP found for the PB. The PB is so far out of the Nexus 7's league, it's not funny. Although to be fair to the OP and the particular need he expressed, it does run Plex quite well; so if he wants to use it primarily for watching movies and videos streamed from his PC, he couldn't go wrong. However, anything else, no way.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4
    Please send me a link to the 2013 nexus 7 with 64GB for $170. I'll buy a 1000 unit to turn a nice profit.

Posted from my ??????
    09-18-13 09:35 PM
    My definition of a "Troll" is someone who purposely post comments to either to get a reaction from the reader or to spread misinformation. These comments can be positive or negative. Some BB fanboys fits into this category. And is really doing a diservice to the Crackberry community.
    That's the mildest troll definition and is getting out of date. Tell that to parents of teenagers driven to suicide or women politicians threatened with rape by real modern day internet trolls. I think our cynical old boys (me included) should not be given that T-word name.
    09-19-13 08:02 AM
    Agreed with that - I'd rather use the PlayBook OS / interface than the BB10 one on my Z10.

As to comments about the OS being sluggish - that's just rubbish. Sure, I've seen issues with browser and keyboard lag, but I've not had any issues with general OS being sluggish. People are either conflating or don't understand the terms.
    The only lag I have experienced is with Google or Ebay search boxes, wben backspacing and changing the search. I am convinced there's some search setting trying to do lookups every keystroke, and that surely is on the web page??
    09-19-13 08:08 AM
    Yes, absolutely and without hesitation. Don't waste time or money on a Nexus or iPad mini. Get a PlayBook.
    OK but only if the price is $50.
    09-19-13 08:16 AM
    The only lag I have experienced is with Google or Ebay search boxes, wben backspacing and changing the search. I am convinced there's some search setting trying to do lookups every keystroke, and that surely is on the web page??
    There's certainly a setting or URL you can use for google searches that don't do interactive searches based on your immediate typing.

I thought I once saved such a URL for google search, found in this very forum, but the years haven't been kind to my memory.
    09-19-13 08:40 AM
    There's certainly a setting or URL you can use for google searches that don't do interactive searches based on your immediate typing.

I thought I once saved such a URL for google search, found in this very forum, but the years haven't been kind to my memory.
    I googled it. I think it's www.google.com/webhp?complete=0
    09-19-13 01:01 PM

The interactive search is java based. Just use booster mode (in Origami) to turn off java, and you won't get the interactive search.
    09-19-13 01:27 PM
    You are being sarcastic, aren't you?
    09-19-13 04:52 PM
    I have an annoying neighbor... I recommended PlayBook to him (last year), thinking that it will have BB10 and that he will love it and be friendly with me... now, not only that he is more annoying but started to bullying me for believing with BlackBerry...

Posted via Z10
    FF22 and anon(5597702) like this.
    09-19-13 06:08 PM
    Please send me a link to the 2013 nexus 7 with 64GB for $170. I'll buy a 1000 unit to turn a nice profit.

Posted from my ??????
    Unless I glossed over a subsequent correction, the OP said

I found a great deal for a 64Gb version for € 161
    which is about $220 US. So my "$20 more" comment about the Nexus 7 2013 was only a rough approximation. It's really $10 more, or $50 if you want 32GB. And as you know there is no 64GB, but if you are suggesting that extra 32GB is worth it on a relatively ancient 7" tablet with a dead OS when a modern 32GB 7" tablet with a very much alive OS can use OTG or Google Play Music or what have you, I'm definitely not convinced
    09-20-13 07:56 AM
    You are being sarcastic, aren't you?
    Either that, or drunk.
    09-20-13 07:57 AM

which is about $220 US. So my "$20 more" comment about the Nexus 7 2013 was only a rough approximation. It's really $10 more, or $50 if you want 32GB
    You may be comparing apples and oranges. Many Euro types have to pay VAT taxes on their products, which can significantly increase the sticker price of a product. Your $20 more comment is based on the assumption that the sticker price for a Nexus is the same in Europe as it is in the US, which. I suspect, is not at all accurate.

edit- Just Googled it, the list price of the 32 GB Nexus 7 in the UK is $370 and in Germany it's $349. http://www.zdnet.com/uk/googles-nexu...ny-7000019950/
    Last edited by pacoman03; 09-20-13 at 01:25 PM.
    09-20-13 12:46 PM
    Unless I glossed over a subsequent correction, the OP said

which is about $220 US. So my "$20 more" comment about the Nexus 7 2013 was only a rough approximation. It's really $10 more, or $50 if you want 32GB. And as you know there is no 64GB, but if you are suggesting that extra 32GB is worth it on a relatively ancient 7" tablet with a dead OS when a modern 32GB 7" tablet with a very much alive OS can use OTG or Google Play Music or what have you, I'm definitely not convinced
    I misread the OP's price. I thought it was 161 us dollars.
    In the US, there is a hugh difference in price between the Playbook and the nexus 7 2013
    16 GB Playbook $115 vs Nexus $229
    32GB Playbook $127 vs Nexus $269
    64GB Playbook $146
    09-20-13 12:55 PM
    Sorry, I cannot recommend it. Dead-end device, using dead-end software from, what appears to be, a dead-end company. If you do buy it, do so understanding that you cannot rely on it being supported much longer.
    Calvin Tran likes this.
    09-21-13 12:26 PM
    You can get an Android tablet for around the same price (and some for less) that have access to a much richer app ecosystem. I don't really understand the "for what it does argument"; Even if someone only has a few specific needs, it's good to get improvements in those areas and proper support that the PB won't get.
    I have had some of them tablets and while they undoubtedly have a better apps ecosystem they feel cheap and will not come with a nice 64gb of storage. They will be slow and the touchscreens are unresponsive. They break easily too. Throw in poor quality screens and your paying a lot for a decent set of apps. Whats the point of better apps on a poor, unresponsive touchscreen?

I just bought a 64gb PB for �70 and think its great value. I am even pleasantly surprised by the amount of apps available and that they are reasonably priced. Try buying a 64gb media player that lets you read your ebooks and play games for �70.
    09-23-13 08:49 AM
    I would have but now in the UK Tesco have a quad core running the Android 4.2.2 for � 120.00 and Tesco's will double any voucher you use towards it so sorry, unable to recommend the Playbook any more. Will the last person out switch the lights off.
    Tesco direct: Hudl - Tesco.com
    09-23-13 09:26 AM
    I would have but now in the UK Tesco have a quad core running the Android 4.2.2 for � 120.00 and Tesco's will double any voucher you use towards it so sorry, unable to recommend the Playbook any more. Will the last person out switch the lights off.
    Tesco direct: Hudl - Tesco.com
    I still stand by what I wrote, "Try buying a 64gb media player that lets you read your ebooks and play games for �70". To get that to 64gb of storage will make it double the price and more.
    09-23-13 10:20 AM
    I have had some of them tablets and while they undoubtedly have a better apps ecosystem they feel cheap and will not come with a nice 64gb of storage. They will be slow and the touchscreens are unresponsive. They break easily too. Throw in poor quality screens and your paying a lot for a decent set of apps. Whats the point of better apps on a poor, unresponsive touchscreen?
    The tablets I referenced aren't like that here in the US... You'd have to be looking at some seriously bad, sub-$100 tablets or outdated models.

The PB may have 64GB but when the bulk of media can be in the cloud for free, this seems of little importance. The extra GB (which can be expanded in the most of the tablets referenced anyway) doesn't make up for a seriously poor ecosystem and support. It's a dead end product.
    09-23-13 01:59 PM
    The tablets I referenced aren't like that here in the US... You'd have to be looking at some seriously bad, sub-$100 tablets or outdated models.

The PB may have 64GB but when the bulk of media can be in the cloud for free, this seems of little importance. The extra GB (which can be expanded in the most of the tablets referenced anyway) doesn't make up for a seriously poor ecosystem and support. It's a dead end product.
    I have a 32 GB playbook, it is 80% filled with apps (quite a few 1 GB games).
    The cloud is okay for music but doesn't work too well for streaming movies.
    My sister got a 64 GB to hold movies and TV shows for her vacation. During the trip, she would delete the shows that she has watched and use the free space to shoot videos with her PB.
    Remember, the 7" form factor is ideal to be taken out. And WiFi isn't always available.
    09-23-13 04:46 PM
    I have a 32 GB playbook, it is 80% filled with apps (quite a few 1 GB games).
    The cloud is okay for music but doesn't work too well for streaming movies.
    My sister got a 64 GB to hold movies and TV shows for her vacation. During the trip, she would delete the shows that she has watched and use the free space to shoot videos with her PB.
    Remember, the 7" form factor is ideal to be taken out. And WiFi isn't always available.

What does 7" have to do with it? There are a plethora of 7" tablets...

The cloud is perfect for all sorts of documents and streaming works FINE for movies. That is after all what Netflix, Hulu, etc thrives on.

...and the PB isn't exactly a great gaming tablet given that a lot of games aren't available for it (it's also rather odd given the "Tools, not toys" mantra of this forum).

...BUT if someone really needs the extra space, many tablets do have the ability to add more should you really find yourself in a hotel without wifi, etc....

The PB really doesn't have anything going for it at this point. It's no better off than a Touchpad now... actually, it's worse, unless Android can be loaded to it.

Don't get me wrong, I like the OS (liked it better from Palm) but choosing a PB now is more emotional than practical.
    09-23-13 05:54 PM
109 ... 2345