The main reason I'm considering the Playbook is because I'm totally in love with the way my new Q5 functions. I was hoping to get a similar experience on the Playbook. Can anyone confirm McMordie's comment? Will a Playbook feel slow and outdated compared to the experience on my Q5?

BTW It looks like I opened a can of worms here. Some people obvoiusly disappointed by RIM's choice to abandon the Playbook, some people still loving it for what it is, others moving on looking for the latest of the latest. Let's play nice
    The question is why the playbook forum still so much alive? Next to the General BB Discussion thread it's the busiest. Obviously there are a lot of passionate users here. People who actually love their playbooks. Many of us are angry and disappointed that BB could not take this tablet to the next level because of it's many potential. Despite being perceived as EOL, some of us still get the most out of it. If you talk about eco system for sure playbook is not even close to IOS or Androids. But you still can't find a well build tablet with specs for a comparable price like playbook. No one come close to BB intuitive swipe gesture. If someone claimed playbook as a piece of junk compare to Q5 why would one still use it? Sure playbook will not function as slick as BB10 device, after all it's the beta of BB10 devices. However, it's hardly a piece of junk. It's easy to fall into wanting the new, next and best tech, at the end of the day you have to decide the practicality for you as a user not as a piece of superficial fashion accessory.
    09-17-13 08:00 AM
    The question is why the playbook forum still so much alive? Next to the General BB Discussion thread it's the busiest. Obviously there are a lot of passionate users here. People who actually love their playbooks. Many of us are angry and disappointed that BB could not take this tablet to the next level because of it's many potential. Despite being perceived as EOL, some of us still get the most out of it. If you talk about eco system for sure playbook is not even close to IOS or Androids. But you still can't find a well build tablet with specs for a comparable price like playbook. No one come close to BB intuitive swipe gesture. If someone claimed playbook as a piece of junk compare to Q5 why would one still use it? Sure playbook will not function as slick as BB10 device, after all it's the beta of BB10 devices. However, it's hardly a piece of junk. It's easy to fall into wanting the new, next and best tech, at the end of the day you have to decide the practicality for you as a user not as a piece of superficial fashion accessory.
    Now that's a great write up! Well worded especially towards the end.
    Nicely put.

Posted via CB10
    mkelley65 likes this.
    09-17-13 08:39 AM
    The question is why the playbook ... of BB10 devices. However, it's hardly a piece of junk. It's easy to fall into wanting the new, next and best tech, at the end of the day you have to decide the practicality for you as a user not as a piece of superficial fashion accessory.
    Lol, I don't even have a dataplan. If HP hadn't f%^&ked up, I'd still be using Palm devices I'm no digital-fashionista, at all. So I get what you mean.

I've more or less made up my mind.... now to convince the missus.
    09-17-13 09:16 AM
    Good luck.

And something I've learned from my wife. It's easier to ask for forgiveness then it is for permission.

Posted via CB10
    Enyigma and Carl Estes like this.
    09-17-13 09:34 AM
    If you're set on a pb I would not pay that much for one.
    09-17-13 09:48 AM
    I can recommend the Playbook. I just refrain from purchasing or recommending all other Rimberry products to anyone anymore.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-17-13 10:30 AM
    I vote Nexus. Expandable memory+Google Play = win.
    Since when a nexus device has expandable memory?

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 11:27 AM
    Since when a nexus device has expandable memory?

Posted via CB10
    Nexus 7 2013 you can buy a female USB to micro USB cable and use a USB to expand memory.

Canadian cities BBM Channel C001234A4
    09-17-13 11:47 AM
    The main reason I'm considering the Playbook is because I'm totally in love with the way my new Q5 functions. I was hoping to get a similar experience on the Playbook. Can anyone confirm McMordie's comment? Will a Playbook feel slow and outdated compared to the experience on my Q5?
    The interface will be somewhat different, since the PB doesn't have BB10 or the hub. Quality-wise, I think your experience will be positive. My PB seems to run as fast as my Z10 in doing day to day tasks.
    09-17-13 11:49 AM
    The interface will be somewhat different, since the PB doesn't have BB10 or the hub. Quality-wise, I think your experience will be positive. My PB seems to run as fast as my Z10 in doing day to day tasks.
    If the Z only works as fast as the pb then I don't want one. Mine has always been slow esp on the net.
    09-17-13 11:55 AM
    Nexus 7 2013 you can buy a female USB to micro USB cable and use a USB to expand memory.

Canadian cities BBM Channel C001234A4
    I have nexus 7 2013, and I don't think that's 'expandable memory', the last time I know it's called 'usb host' capability.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 01:00 PM
    Since it sounds like you are not joking about buying a Playbook, you need some straight talk. It's an obsolete device (defined by the current state of tablets) encumbered with an inefficient OS that renders it sluggish and laggy. Ipads run better on half the ram, and the latest cheap tablets generally run two gigs of ram. On top, the app offerings are very slender compared to android or itunes, and generally primitive by current standards. Ported android apps frequently don't work at all. Most of those that do work, do so horribly, not at all as they do on android devices. And they are limited to an obsolete version of android. None of the above will ever be improved.

Native email is extremely sluggish. The calendar is adequate. The screen also is adequate but now considered low-end in terms of resolution. Forget using the GPS. It works, but barely. Though older ipads don't even have that. The tablet has very limited sharing features.

On the positive side, origami offers a decent browser. HDMI-out is nice but becoming standard on tablets.

Frankly, I don't know why you'd even consider tying your wagon to this old nag. Nexus 7 is cheap and runs circles around it, LG is coming out with an 8.3-inch model this year that will have similar high specs. These are devices that will be able to take anything you can throw at them for a couple of years, compared to one that was already low-end material a year ago and hasn't been substantially improved since then.

Would you buy today a smartphone that debuted in 2011 just to save a few bucks? That's the comparison.

Finally, don't expect OS10 performance from a Playbook.
    rnhld and Calvin Tran like this.
    09-17-13 04:44 PM
    By really lost cost, I assume you mean $50 or under... There is a plethora of tablets At $79-99 and up that have full access to the Play Store. If the PB were coming out today with BB10 and had access to a decent app store then it might be justifiable around $149-199 or so but it doesn't.
    Wow I didn't know you can pick up a 64g tablet for under a $100.
    Why would anyone pay over $500 for the ipad mini.

Update:

Never mind. Didn't realize the poster was referring to the 4-8gb junk tablets. The cheapest 64Gb tablet is still north of $500.

Posted from my ??????
    Last edited by DigitalMadness; 09-17-13 at 05:27 PM.
    09-17-13 05:05 PM
    Since it sounds like you are not joking about buying a Playbook, you need some straight talk. It's an obsolete device (defined by the current state of tablets) encumbered with an inefficient OS that renders it sluggish and laggy. Ipads run better on half the ram, and the latest cheap tablets generally run two gigs of ram. On top, the app offerings are very slender compared to android or itunes, and generally primitive by current standards. Ported android apps frequently don't work at all. Most of those that do work, do so horribly, not at all as they do on android devices. And they are limited to an obsolete version of android. None of the above will ever be improved.

Native email is extremely sluggish. The calendar is adequate. The screen also is adequate but now considered low-end in terms of resolution. Forget using the GPS. It works, but barely. Though older ipads don't even have that. The tablet has very limited sharing features.

On the positive side, origami offers a decent browser. HDMI-out is nice but becoming standard on tablets.

Frankly, I don't know why you'd even consider tying your wagon to this old nag. Nexus 7 is cheap and runs circles around it, LG is coming out with an 8.3-inch model this year that will have similar high specs. These are devices that will be able to take anything you can throw at them for a couple of years, compared to one that was already low-end material a year ago and hasn't been substantially improved since then.

Would you buy today a smartphone that debuted in 2011 just to save a few bucks? That's the comparison.

Finally, don't expect OS10 performance from a Playbook.
    If the abundance of apps is important to the OP, then I might agree with some of your points. Since his requirements are limited (which is about the same as 80% of tablet users), then why pay a premium of $350 + for something you don't need.
    In two years time, that $350 will buy him a tablet that will blow the doors off any tablet on the market today.

Posted from my ??????
    09-17-13 05:43 PM
    As long as it does what I want it to do, I don't consider it obsolete.... and € 161 is a steal for any recent tablet. Furthermore my Q5 works great with Google mail and calendar so doesn't the Playbook as well?
    Consider it perfect for you by all means but a device that has been out of production for ten months, has a processor too slow for the manufacturers new OS, and with updates limited to vulnerability patches, it's technically obsolete . Obsolete things still work. My IBM lappy still works. My Vic20 still works.
    Go ahead, buy it, but it is obsolete.

Re the google cal, how come so many threads say google pulled caldav for non android devices?
    09-17-13 05:45 PM
    I agreed with you. Just want to point out that in some ways, the playbook UI experince is better than my z10. Things like multitasking, switching between open apps, better bezel control from all sides, unlimited apps in a folder, customizable task bar .......
    09-17-13 05:56 PM
    Absolutley 100% if it was put out by a company that stood behind its products. So no way I can recommend the PlayBook like with Thor this was one of the hardest decisions I had to make. Took all of 2 maybe 3 seconds. Just like Thor
    FF22 likes this.
    09-17-13 06:34 PM
    If the abundance of apps is important to the OP, then I might agree with some of your points. Since his requirements are limited (which is about the same as 80% of tablet users), then why pay a premium of $350 + for something you don't need.
    In two years time, that $350 will buy him a tablet that will blow the doors off any tablet on the market today.

Posted from my ??????
    A Nexus 7 2013 is $249 and will give access to everything the Playback doesn't for the next two years. Then he can buy your $350 marvel. BTW, it's not just about apps. For me, anyway, tablet performance is also a critical factor, and the Playbook just doesn't have it.
    09-17-13 06:41 PM
    I have nexus 7 2013, and I don't think that's 'expandable memory', the last time I know it's called 'usb host' capability.

Posted via CB10
    Ah yes that's what I meant.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    09-17-13 06:52 PM
    The Playbook is a sad story......

It is such a Great Tablet! Love the resolution, sound, size and power! Lousy app.world!
    I cannot believe they made such a wonderful device and now.........
    They sold us down the river.
    For browsing and some ****ty apps. I can recommend.
    Good luck!
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-17-13 09:05 PM
    Suggestion to OP. Always check people's posting history before trusting in their suggestions. Lots of trolls around here. A lot more so than other forums.
    09-18-13 12:48 AM
    I agreed with you. Just want to point out that in some ways, the playbook UI experince is better than my z10. Things like multitasking, switching between open apps, better bezel control from all sides, unlimited apps in a folder, customizable task bar .......
    Agreed with that - I'd rather use the PlayBook OS / interface than the BB10 one on my Z10.

As to comments about the OS being sluggish - that's just rubbish. Sure, I've seen issues with browser and keyboard lag, but I've not had any issues with general OS being sluggish. People are either conflating or don't understand the terms.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-18-13 03:12 AM
    Suggestion to OP. Always check people's posting history before trusting in their suggestions. Lots of trolls around here. A lot more so than other forums.
    "Trolls" presumably being people who say anything negative about Blackberry or Playbook? I respectfully disagree. A troll is quite different and use of the term in this context is disingenuous.
    A forum is a place to express views, not a fan club, and accepting advice verbatim is always risky.
    09-18-13 03:39 AM
    The OP was quite specific about requirements and the PlayBook will meet them handily. There were a lot of distractions from those who place a great importance on app selection, hardware specs and upgradeabilty. Bottom line is whether the device does what the OP wants, nothing else.

Yes, Google ended calendar support for non-Android machines last January but BB put out a work-around last May as pointed out by an earlier poster. Yes, anyone who has not had to re-install the operating system is grandfathered and has access to all their Google calendars as before. Anyone else loses that access without the workaround using the direct CalDav connection.

I also agree about the PlayBook OS speed. I don't have any problems with it. I find my PlayBook fast and responsive and love the swiping gestures. That comes much closer to the Q5 experience than any other tablet out there. The Origami browser certainly resolves a lot of frustrations (though not all) with the native browser and existing apps provide the functionality the OP seeks.

Based on those considerations, I would still highly recommend the OP get a 64GB PlayBook at this time.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-18-13 08:39 AM
    "Trolls" presumably being people who say anything negative about Blackberry or Playbook? I respectfully disagree. A troll is quite different and use of the term in this context is disingenuous.
    A forum is a place to express views, not a fan club, and accepting advice verbatim is always risky.
    My definition of a "Troll" is someone who purposely post comments to either to get a reaction from the reader or to spread misinformation. These comments can be positive or negative. Some BB fanboys fits into this category. And is really doing a diservice to the Crackberry community.
    09-18-13 02:39 PM
109 12345