The Playbook hardware is two generations behind everyone else now, and BlackBerry has refused to update the OS. The company is looking for a buyer which will most likely chop it up to bits. So, you tell me -- does the Playbook sound like a good buy?
    For what it does and a cost of $115 on eBay I would say yes it does. Even if BBRY is sold tomorrow my PB will continue to work as it was designed.
    09-16-13 05:15 PM
    The playbook is a solid device, for what it does. I use it as a reader (running an android kindle app on it), light web browsing, and playing music. I do let my kids play some games on it. It's great to have around to play music without draining the battery on the cell phone. I used email and calendar functionality on and off, but never seemed to justify duplicating what I can do on my BlackBerry handheld.

So, if you understand the limitations, I say go for it. I've had mine since the week they came out and it still functions without a problem.

The whole "link to the phone for email" thing was resolved years ago with the 2.0 software. Mostly, I think the limitations are going to be the app availability. Also, I am not sure that it functions as fast as some of the newer iPads and Android tablets. I was never happy with the camera. I never tried any kind of video conferencing with it.

If you are looking to build your entire mobile productivity around it, I say no. But, if you are just looking for some convenient functionality for a few things, it will work fine.

Just my 2 cents.
    09-16-13 05:26 PM
    For what it does and a cost of $115 on eBay I would say yes it does. Even if BBRY is sold tomorrow my PB will continue to work as it was designed.
    You can get an Android tablet for around the same price (and some for less) that have access to a much richer app ecosystem. I don't really understand the "for what it does argument"; Even if someone only has a few specific needs, it's good to get improvements in those areas and proper support that the PB won't get.
    09-16-13 06:21 PM
    You can get an Android tablet for around the same price (and some for less) that have access to a much richer app ecosystem. I don't really understand the "for what it does argument"; Even if someone only has a few specific needs, it's good to get improvements in those areas and proper support that the PB won't get.
    From what i've seen about those types of Android tablets is that they are typically inferior in terms of build quality. When I've held them, or seen them, they seem like they would be considered as 'toss away' tablets. I've even seen some only able to run gingerbread and nothing higher.
    They may have better apps, but in terms of battery and build quality, those bargin bin tablets for that price don't really compare.

Posted via CB10
    bambinoitaliano and gritsinct like this.
    09-16-13 06:41 PM
    In many ways, the PlayBook has better specs than the ipad mini. So base on the OP's requirements, the Playbook gets him in the game for the price of a nice dinner for two.

Posted from my ??????
    bambinoitaliano and FF22 like this.
    09-16-13 06:54 PM
    From what i've seen about those types of Android tablets is that they are typically inferior in terms of build quality. When I've held them, or seen them, they seem like they would be considered as 'toss away' tablets. I've even seen some only able to run gingerbread and nothing higher.
    They may have better apps, but in terms of battery and build quality, those bargin bin tablets for that price don't really compare.
    You need to look at something recent then... For example, the Asus MeMO Pad HD 7 for example is a very good tablet in that price point. Yes, it's casing is made of plastic but it's essentially a first-gen Google Nexus 7 with a rear-facing camera and microSD card slot, among other feature bumps. Not a throw-away tablet at all and it's running Android 4.2.x last I looked.
    09-16-13 06:57 PM
    You need to look at something recent then... For example, the Asus MeMO Pad HD 7 for example is a very good tablet in that price point. Yes, it's casing is made of plastic but it's essentially a first-gen Google Nexus 7 with a rear-facing camera and microSD card slot, among other feature bumps. Not a throw-away tablet at all and it's running Android 4.2.x last I looked.
    Thanks for bringing that to my attention, i'm not overly knowledgeable of the items outside of my circle... there's a real good chance that the tablets I've seen were all dated ones.
    But much like what was said before this, the specs on the playbook aren't really out dated specs especially for an occasional user.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-13 07:02 PM
    You should be out of your mind to buy playbook now, unless 115 bucks is the whole your budget. But in this case you should not buy a new gadget at all.

The point is, playbook was good while the lie of getting BB10 lasted. Now this money is better spent on something else regardless of how good playbook is at browsing or something.

My advice would actually be as follows: wait a month and get Dell Venue 8 or Lenovo Miix 8 for 250-300 USD. Those are complete PC's in tablet formfactor. Also, Win8 has similar gestures as PB does with regard to multitasking.
    09-16-13 07:11 PM
    What it does is still works better than most Android offerings in my humble opinion. I have not seen any of the low cost Android tablets include a micro HDMI output, excellent stereo speakers, dock, or a (although handicapped) bridge function. The really low cost tablets do not have Google Play, so app selection is rather limited.
    omega supreme likes this.
    09-16-13 07:11 PM
    You should be out of your mind to buy playbook now, unless 115 bucks is the whole your budget. But in this case you should not buy a new gadget at all.

The point is, playbook was good while the lie of getting BB10 lasted. Now this money is better spent on something else regardless of how good playbook is at browsing or something.

My advice would actually be as follows: wait a month and get Dell Venue 8 or Lenovo Miix 8 for 250-300 USD. Those are complete PC's in tablet formfactor. Also, Win8 has similar gestures as PB does with regard to multitasking.
    09-16-13 07:18 PM

Those of us who still like playbooks are out of our minds? What a hurtful comment and so well thought out.
    09-16-13 08:16 PM

So before anyone realize the BB10 coming to playbook was a lie it was good? And after finding out it's a lie therefore playbook no longer good? Didn't know I have to look at my playbook as a politician.
    09-16-13 08:27 PM
    The PlayBook is a high quality, well built, and well designed tablet. It has beautiful screen resolution and the OS is fast and nimble. And I still use mine everyday. It's unfortunate BBRY pulled the plug on the PB. I think the original plan with the PB was to make inroads into the medical community with a secure and versatile tablet for doctors and techs. Makes sense as I still see laptops being carried everywhere at hospitals and even my own doctor's office.
    Last edited by barefootpoet; 09-16-13 at 08:40 PM.
    09-16-13 08:27 PM
    The PlayBook with 2.1 supports ActiveSync. You don't need to add contacts, calendar, or anything manually.
    It sounds like you're all referring to OS 1.0, 2.0 & up has none of these issues. I'm writing this on an Amazon Kindle Fire HD which I got for free. My 64GB PlayBook is worth purchasing again, I take it everywhere with me. I'm sure I'll purchase another, it's the best.
    Last edited by tonyrenier; 09-16-13 at 08:46 PM. Reason: crappy correction feature on Kindle
    09-16-13 08:43 PM
    I installed Plex Media Server software on my PC and simply using the Playbook's browser to stream my media (videos, musics, pictures) via WiFi. Plex automatically catalog and organize your movies, downloaded tv shows. It's a great way to stream media. Once you set it up, simply bookmark the Plex home-page on your Playbook browser and you are good to go.
    09-16-13 08:51 PM
    Unfortunately I can't recommend the Playbook. I love my Z10, but the downside of BB10 is that it is so much snappier and more stable than Playbook OS that it makes my Playbook feel like a piece of junk. I still use the Playbook, but much less than I used to.
    09-16-13 09:00 PM
    Thanks for bringing that to my attention, i'm not overly knowledgeable of the items outside of my circle... there's a real good chance that the tablets I've seen were all dated ones.
    But much like what was said before this, the specs on the playbook aren't really out dated specs especially for an occasional user.
    I think my issue though is that
    a) a computer is not like a car where it comes off the line in a "fixed" state with no expected updates. If I buy a computer I expect to be able to update for a reasonable period of time and have the latest apps supported for a couple of years, at least. There's no guarantee here even how much longer bug fixes will come and the apps the support it will never grow.
    b) Two years ago when the HP Touchpad was discontinued and going for $99 and $149 that was a great price for a EOL tablet. It doesn't strike me as such now.

So even if the PB is still suitable today, it is still coming up short I think. Even if it fits this bill right at this minute, it may not tomorrow.
    09-16-13 09:18 PM
    the security of QNX alone is enough to make me buy a playbook again...and like some have mentioned not too many tablets out there with an hdmi out and usb ports available for that price and size...not to mention the 5mp camera and 3mp front and CENTERED camera...and stereo speakers.
    09-16-13 09:21 PM
    What it does is still works better than most Android offerings in my humble opinion. I have not seen any of the low cost Android tablets include a micro HDMI output, excellent stereo speakers, dock, or a (although handicapped) bridge function. The really low cost tablets do not have Google Play, so app selection is rather limited.
    By really lost cost, I assume you mean $50 or under... There is a plethora of tablets At $79-99 and up that have full access to the Play Store. If the PB were coming out today with BB10 and had access to a decent app store then it might be justifiable around $149-199 or so but it doesn't.
    09-16-13 09:23 PM
    Sounds like you need a nexus 7, especially if you want to sync with google cal.

Why spend that much on an obsolete tablet?
    +1 on the Nexus 7, I've had enough with PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-13 10:01 PM
    A year and a half ago I would have recommended the PlayBook to everyone one. But now it's passed it's end of life and struggles with Internet browsing. Don't get me wrong we had a good run but it's not the tablet I once fell in love with.

Canada Cities BBM Channel C001234A4
    09-16-13 10:11 PM
    A year and a half ago I would have recommended the PlayBook to everyone one. But now it's passed it's end of life and struggles with Internet browsing. Don't get me wrong we had a good run but it's not the tablet I once fell in love with.
    That's pretty much how I felt about my Palm Pre back in 2011.
    SteveBB10 likes this.
    09-16-13 11:22 PM
    I vote Nexus. Expandable memory+Google Play = win.
    09-16-13 11:22 PM
    fact of the matter is, if your still able to find good uses for it and your happy with the way it is, then of course it's a good buy for $100...can't argue with that no matter how hard you try, no one is more disappointed about how the playbook went down but I can't deny that if you still use it everyday and happy with it, then don't knock it...that's my thought on it.
    09-17-13 02:31 AM
    Unfortunately I can't recommend the Playbook. I love my Z10, but the downside of BB10 is that it is so much snappier and more stable than Playbook OS that it makes my Playbook feel like a piece of junk. I still use the Playbook, but much less than I used to.
    The main reason I'm considering the Playbook is because I'm totally in love with the way my new Q5 functions. I was hoping to get a similar experience on the Playbook. Can anyone confirm McMordie's comment? Will a Playbook feel slow and outdated compared to the experience on my Q5?

BTW It looks like I opened a can of worms here. Some people obvoiusly disappointed by RIM's choice to abandon the Playbook, some people still loving it for what it is, others moving on looking for the latest of the latest. Let's play nice
    09-17-13 04:58 AM
109 1234 ...