Hey, all. Heard that the new PlayBook will wirelessly connect to other BBs. How does this work? Can you use your current data plan with the PlayBook?
    02-05-11 06:12 PM
    Hey, all. Heard that the new PlayBook will wirelessly connect to other BBs. How does this work? Can you use your current data plan with the PlayBook?
    The Playbook connects to your blackberry using a secure BlueTooth connection.

as for the Dataplans, this is still unknown, and also depends on the way you connect your Blackberry to the Playbook, if you are "Bridging" the Blackberry it would not effect your data plan, though if you "tether" the Blackberry to the Playbook, you'll be using data, and thus potentially will incur tethering charges from your carrier, and use Data from your package.
    02-05-11 06:16 PM
    Pretty much unknown at the moment as DeRusset said. Bridging seems to allow PIM (Personal Info Management) but we don't know precisely how tethering will work. It has been said that there will NOT be a DM for PB. So, either Bridge allows for tethering or there is another app that does. Beyond that, there is also BB Balance in the mix. That MAY allow for some PIM on the PB. Lots up in the air still.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-11 06:37 PM
    If bridge doesn't allow it I'm sure tether will come up with something. However I recall RIM saying that you use your existing data plan.

02-05-11 11:12 PM
    If bridge doesn't allow it I'm sure tether will come up with something. However I recall RIM saying that you use your existing data plan.

The carriers will just block BlackBerry devices from accessing the internet (by cutting off the connection to the RIM servers) until RIM shows them how it is done and they can charge for it. With RIM evidently trying to circumvent charges, the carriers will go ape and will sever all ties with RIM unless they do it. The UK will laugh at it though, as tethering to the level I do on 500MB a month is impossible. It'd be hard even on 5GB.
    02-06-11 03:27 AM
    The carriers will just block BlackBerry devices from accessing the internet (by cutting off the connection to the RIM servers) until RIM shows them how it is done and they can charge for it. With RIM evidently trying to circumvent charges, the carriers will go ape and will sever all ties with RIM unless they do it. The UK will laugh at it though, as tethering to the level I do on 500MB a month is impossible. It'd be hard even on 5GB.
    Why would they ever cut off RIM? Do you really think RIM hasn't discussed this with the carriers?
    CASH likes this.
    02-06-11 04:49 AM
    If they allow tethering using existing data plan and BIS so no extra charges. Consider me sold.

02-06-11 04:52 AM
    Personally- just my opinion- RIM and all phone manufacturers should go to the mat fighting any attempt carriers make at double charging for data. I say double because it isn't as though you aren't already charged for it; you must pay to have the data streamed to your device and to upload too; therefore I simly don't understand why they should charge twice.

When you purchase groceries at the store and take them home, what you do with them from that point on is your business. The grocery store made their money. Once you are home you can eat it raw or process the food tbrough cooking and eat it in another form. You can eat it and throw it away. You can freeze it for later. You see my point.

If tethering/bridging involved consuming extra amounts of data then that is a different problem; sure the carriers have a right to charge for extra consumption. Once you pay for it though, I don't see why they have a right to charge extra depending on what you do with it; whether it it used in the blackberry phone (like raw produce) or piped to a tablet and used there (processed). You have paid for the data and its yours.

Just my two cents worth but this is a pet pieve of mine.

Last edited by kb5zht; 02-06-11 at 07:21 AM.
    02-06-11 05:51 AM
    Yeah it sucks...I know in indonesia for even something as simple as youtube, u gotta pay extra cuz it requires a separate apn as opposed to simply going through ur BIS. Its the same with tethering so u have to pay extra as well. I really hope the playbook can go through BIS.

02-06-11 07:36 AM
    @Paladinleeds
    Seriously? Did you think when you wrote that?
    RIM is about the Carrier first, always has been, device compression is for the carriers, not the consumer. If anything RIM has worked with the carriers to show that even with the Playbook tethered to the Blackberry the data usage is going to be similar to that of competitor smartphones when using the tablet but lower when not using it, thus encouraging more users to buy Blackberry's and the Carriers to get more margin and lower over all bandwidth consumption.

@kb5zht
    Your food comparison is not the same, the carriers pay for data usage, consumers don't WANT to pay for usage, but that is the case, data billing should be more like the way you get electricity, the carriers could put usage times as well as volume of data, for billing cycles. Then they don't need to charge a fee.
    I really suspect in Canada we'll have no fee, Free tethering has been available on all National GSM/HSPA+ accounts I have looked into in 2010, because in Canada, it is pay usage. And tethering just increases usage.

i

02-06-11 07:39 AM
    Seriously? Did you think when you wrote that?
    RIM is about the Carrier first, always has been, device compression is for the carriers, not the consumer. If anything RIM has worked with the carriers to show that even with the Playbook tethered to the Blackberry the data usage is going to be similar to that of competitor smartphones when using the tablet but lower when not using it, thus encouraging more users to buy Blackberry's and the Carriers to get more margin and lower over all bandwidth consumption.
    Yes, I did think, and it does make sense to me. But if RIM is working with the carriers, then yes, it will be fun.
    02-06-11 08:51 AM
    Your food comparison is not the same, the carriers pay for data usage, consumers don't WANT to pay for usage,
    Who pays to have the data get to the smartphone in the firstplace?
    It is already paid for by the consumer. I pay $115/month to Verizon for internet, text messages, phone calls.... and data .

To get the data to my phone I have a bill sent to me every month.
    Why should I be charged for have the data piped through my phone to a tablet instead of having stop at my phone and use it there? I pay the electric company extra for charging the batteries that power the tablet and the phone both; I pay the company that produces the gasoline that goes into my truck's fuel tank extra when its the case of a car charger (nothing is free, the alternator that produces the electricity that charges batteries works harder albiet not much, but the laws of physics are that matter is niether created nor destroyed).

So... What service is Verizon Wireless performing for me when the data is bridged through my smartphone to my tablet that I haven't already paid for?

data billing should be more like the way you get electricity, the carriers could put usage times as well as volume of data, for billing cycles.
    But it is . Depending on the carrier, you are billed for usage; some in terms of volume (GB/month) or my unlimited plan. Verizon charges me $30/month for data. They are instituting a new plan where the heaviest 5% of users get a surcharge (extra usage). The point being: What does VzW do in the step involving jumping the data (already paid for) from my blackberry to the tablet? What service do they preform that deserves them to get financially compensated?

Last edited by kb5zht; 02-06-11 at 09:49 AM.
    02-06-11 09:41 AM
    Exactly..if I'm paying for 5G of data per month..the carriers are already getting their money. If I use 2G on my phone and the other 3G on my tablet..why should it matter to the carriers? If you use more data than your alloted..then they can charge you for more. It's just a money grab..plain and simple.
    02-06-11 09:48 AM
    Okay, so basically we don't know how it will be linked to other BBs yet? I think if we can 'bridge' or tether to a current BB (without incurring additional fees) and just use a current data plan (or wifi) then it would be worth it to purchase the PlayBook (I have a 1GB plan that I never come close to using the limit).
    02-06-11 09:52 AM
    Exactly..if I'm paying for 5G of data per month..the carriers are already getting their money. If I use 2G on my phone and the other 3G on my tablet..why should it matter to the carriers? If you use more data than your alloted..then they can charge you for more. It's just a money grab..plain and simple.
    Bingo.

If my tethering requires extra data, and it puts a strain on the system, then they have a right to bill me extra . However, this should already be covered with the new surcharge VzW is implementing (they say it isn't due to the iphone but I am sorry I believe it is, everybody knows the iphone is a data hog).

Pure money grab I think. My food analogy stands accurate; my local grocery charges me for oranges I buy to consume. If I take the oranges home and juice them so I can have orange juice, how silly would it be for my grocery to send me another bill? I pay the appliance company for the blender (like a tablet in the case of smartphones), and I pay the electric company a fee to run the blender. Nowhere in that process does the grocery do anything in my orange juicing procedure that makes them deserve more money.

I guess that is as simple as I can get it. It more explanation is required maybe another gentleman in here can do it.

02-06-11 09:58 AM
    Okay, so basically we don't know how it will be linked to other BBs yet? I think if we can 'bridge' or tether to a current BB (without incurring additional fees) and just use a current data plan (or wifi) then it would be worth it to purchase the PlayBook (I have a 1GB plan that I never come close to using the limit).
    You can bridge to your BlackBerry for data or use Wifi. It's my understanding that using said bridge is not going to cost you any more money unless you go over your allotted data limit for the month should you have one.

Bingo.

If my tethering requires extra data, and it puts a strain on the system, then they have a right to bill me extra . However, this should already be covered with the new surcharge VzW is implementing (they say it isn't due to the iphone but I am sorry I believe it is, everybody knows the iphone is a data hog).

Pure money grab I think. My food analogy stands accurate; my local grocery charges me for oranges I buy to consume. If I take the oranges home and juice them so I can have orange juice, how silly would it be for my grocery to send me another bill? I pay the appliance company for the blender (like a tablet in the case of smartphones), and I pay the electric company a fee to run the blender. Nowhere in that process does the grocery do anything in my orange juicing procedure that makes them deserve more money.

I guess that is as simple as I can get it. It more explanation is required maybe another gentleman in here can do it.

I agree with your "pay for it twice" analogy. It hits the device first which is what you pay for. As I said above, from what I've been told, carriers aren't going to charge more for use of the PlayBook.
    02-06-11 10:07 AM
    hey cx are we going to see anything exciting today regarding the playbook during superbowl? has rim showed us everything about the playbook oir are there still some very interesting surprises?
    02-06-11 10:12 AM
    You can bridge to your BlackBerry for data or use Wifi. It's my understanding that using said bridge is not going to cost you any more money unless you go over your allotted data limit for the month should you have one.

I agree with your "pay for it twice" analogy. It hits the device first which is what you pay for. As I said above, from what I've been told, carriers aren't going to charge more for use of the PlayBook.
    That is good news. I hope that is going to be the way it works. If this is the case, then I would consider getting the PlayBook.
    02-06-11 10:14 AM
    hey cx are we going to see anything exciting today regarding the playbook during superbowl? has rim showed us everything about the playbook oir are there still some very interesting surprises?
    There is more to the PlayBook than what is current common knowledge. People will be happy about them too. As for tonight, must wait and see. $3 million for 30 seconds is a lot. But def some good things regarding PB that ppl don't know yet. ))
    tumer and FoxxBerry like this.
    02-06-11 10:18 AM

That was my understanding.
    Hopefully we are getting reeeeeeally close to finally having all these mysteries solved.

02-06-11 11:27 AM
    There is more to the PlayBook than what is current common knowledge. People will be happy about them too. As for tonight, must wait and see. $3 million for 30 seconds is a lot. But def some good things regarding PB that ppl don't know yet. ))
    So like maybe a Monaco bridged to a PB on national tv tonight? That would be really sweet One can dream CX.....haha

02-06-11 12:12 PM
    what more could there be to the pb wow very interesteing thanks cx!!!!!!!!!!
    02-06-11 12:47 PM
    Who pays to have the data get to the smartphone in the firstplace?
    It is already paid for by the consumer. I pay $115/month to Verizon for internet, text messages, phone calls.... and data .

To get the data to my phone I have a bill sent to me every month.
    Why should I be charged for have the data piped through my phone to a tablet instead of having stop at my phone and use it there? I pay the electric company extra for charging the batteries that power the tablet and the phone both; I pay the company that produces the gasoline that goes into my truck's fuel tank extra when its the case of a car charger (nothing is free, the alternator that produces the electricity that charges batteries works harder albiet not much, but the laws of physics are that matter is niether created nor destroyed).

So... What service is Verizon Wireless performing for me when the data is bridged through my smartphone to my tablet that I haven't already paid for?
    I should have expanded further.
    You pay for the device to your PHONE, and the package is built and Billed based on a expected level of use because you are not billed per usage, as a result by not being billed per usage they are going to try and bill based on perceived usage again. since your usage will be higher having a device tethered against a user who doesn't have a device tethered, and generally pricing structures for unlimited plans and averaging the expected usage across the board and pricing accordingly.

Its about how company's build budgets, I think the US customers are going to get rude awakenings with Unlimited data plans in a the next 24 months.
    02-06-11 01:47 PM
    Rickroller
    you should look at your plan, unless you are on an old Plan, if you are paying for 5G service, and you are tethering so using only 1 cellular radio, there should no longer be a tethering charge, if there is, you should call your carrier, Bell, Telus, and Rogers all offer free tethering for Capped data plans.

they don't didn't when they still had unlimited dataplans, which is the issue US people will be looking at.

what is "nice" of company's like Rogers, they offer a Tablet Package, for $15, which is known as a datashare, the data share allows devices to share 1 dataplan, but each have their own Radio, so say you have a Torch, and a Samsung Galaxy 3G, you can use BOTH at the same time on your 5GB plan at an additional $15 instead of purchasing a separate plan for the Tablet.
    02-06-11 01:51 PM
    Rickroller
    you should look at your plan, unless you are on an old Plan, if you are paying for 5G service, and you are tethering so using only 1 cellular radio, there should no longer be a tethering charge, if there is, you should call your carrier, Bell, Telus, and Rogers all offer free tethering for Capped data plans.

they don't didn't when they still had unlimited dataplans, which is the issue US people will be looking at.

what is "nice" of company's like Rogers, they offer a Tablet Package, for $15, which is known as a datashare, the data share allows devices to share 1 dataplan, but each have their own Radio, so say you have a Torch, and a Samsung Galaxy 3G, you can use BOTH at the same time on your 5GB plan at an additional $15 instead of purchasing a separate plan for the Tablet.
    We don't get unlimited data plans, we get 500MB a month, and we still have to pay an extra �7.50 a month to tether. And I think that's per 500MB on top of the �5 already paid for the 500MB on your phone. Trust me, we make Verizon look like a good deal.

Oh yeah, and you're not allowed any more than 1GB of data a month, even if you pay for each of those 500MB.
    02-06-11 03:14 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD