01-27-12 05:32 AM
28 12
tools
    Hello I am under bell canada and recently purchased a playbook and had my first blackberry bout a year ago. I'm asking if bridge browsing is the same as tethering if you use the regular browser instead of bridge browser. Is there any benifit in using the regular browser instead of bridge browser when my phone is bridged to my playbook? I don't want a huge bill and I called bell and they could not give me an answer. All I want is my data being used over bridge no matter what I use.
    12-30-11 03:53 AM
    When you are in Bridge mode you are using your Blackberry data plan the same as if you were browsing directly from your Blackberry phone.
    12-30-11 04:29 AM
    Hello I am under bell canada and recently purchased a playbook and had my first blackberry bout a year ago. I'm asking if bridge browsing is the same as tethering if you use the regular browser instead of bridge browser. Is there any benifit in using the regular browser instead of bridge browser when my phone is bridged to my playbook? I don't want a huge bill and I called bell and they could not give me an answer. All I want is my data being used over bridge no matter what I use.
    From what I understand we crazy Americans are the only ones who have to pay extra for tethering. Like the other poster said, bridge is like using your phone but tethering is different usage of your data thats why carriers detect it right away when you use it. It is also faster.
    rexrim likes this.
    12-30-11 05:28 AM
    When connected to bridge and not wifi, all the data used goes through your BB. Any app that requires the internet will use the bridge.
    12-30-11 05:57 AM
    Tethering and Bridging are different.

A tethered connection can be detected by your network provider and may be charged for in addition to your existing BB Data Plan. The UK networks don't seem to charge for tethering though I believe some NA ones do.

A bridged connection still uses your BB phone to connect, but does it in a clever way so that the network only sees the BB phone, and not the Playbook sitting behind it. As the network cannot tell that the browsing isn't happening on your BB phone, and because this connection goes through your pre-paid BB Data Plan, you won't be charged any extra.

AFAIK it doesn't matter which browser you use, it's "intelligent". In the absence of WiFi, the "normal" browser on the Playbook will automatically use the bridged connection (though your BB Data Plan). I always use the "normal" browser, never the bridge browser, and let the connection selection magic just happen.

These links may help too.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...estion-657736/

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...0/#post6740990
    skibnik, robkd and jcbrunson like this.
    12-30-11 06:14 AM
    There is the chance that if you go over your plans data allotment that you'll be charged for that the same as if you do that on just your phone.
    12-30-11 06:53 AM
    There is the chance that if you go over your plans data allotment that you'll be charged for that the same as if you do that on just your phone.
    Ahh yes... I forgot to mention that.

Browsing and general internet usage using the other apps (facebook, weather, etc) is probably safely within the allowances of any data plan but don't do what I did.

I tried streaming radio on my Playbook over the Bridge... and after a (very) few short hours, I'd used 90% of the pathetic 0.5GB monthly data allowance that VodafoneUK gives as the default.

So don't stream video or radio over the Bridge unless you have one of those rare unlimited data plans. LOL
    12-30-11 07:58 AM
    On TMo US using the phone for data (not email) abroad is always subject to high roaming charges even if paying for unlimited international email. Hence bridging abroad will bring charges. On the other hand if you are on WiFi abroad you can call back to the US on UMA without roaming charges.
    12-30-11 11:14 PM
    IMO tether and bridge should be classified as the same, as the PB is using data from the BB or other device with wifi hotspot either way.
    Just a money grab from the carriers to fill their deep pockets.
    12-31-11 12:48 AM
    Any app that requires the internet will use the bridge.
    not true. any app that requires internet will use a tether if it's activated. only bridged apps will use bridge.

the bridge browser is a stop gap so you don't need full tethering enabled to browse the web.
    12-31-11 06:24 AM
    not true. any app that requires internet will use a tether if it's activated. only bridged apps will use bridge.

the bridge browser is a stop gap so you don't need full tethering enabled to browse the web.
    Actually, several (most?) non-bridge Apps will use the Bridge connection in the absence of WiFi. It's a feature that came in unannounced in one of the 1.07 updates. Previously, any App that used the internet would give a "network not found" error when no WiFi was present... now it simply connects over the Bridged phone.

Ironically, one of the very few Apps that won't connect over Bridge is AppWorld!

There seems to be a hierarchy of connections: WiFi > Bridge > no connection. I suspect Tether replaces Bridge in that hierarchy if you've connected it. Bridge connections are "free" (pre-paid under BB Dataplan), tethered connections may not be (network policy decides). There were some posts suggesting tethering was slightly faster than bridging (or maybe the other way round LOL) - either way, I doubt the speed difference is significant or noticable to a user.

HTH
    jcbrunson likes this.
    12-31-11 07:34 AM
    Could the mods please post and sticky one of the more comprehensive bridge threads? This is almost a daily discussion now, getting close to hourly. There has got to be at least 100 recent bridging threads about usage, ATT blocking, etc. The current bridge sticky is not the solution apparently.

We might even be happy with bridge related thread links as a sticky.

Edit - we don't mind helping, but JeepBB has been answering these threads for months with identical responses. It might help him out at least.
    Last edited by jcbrunson; 12-31-11 at 07:55 AM.
    12-31-11 07:44 AM
    In re bridge use being free be aware that does not hold when abroad even if email there is "free."
    12-31-11 07:55 AM
    Could the mods please post and sticky one of the more comprehensive bridge threads? This is almost a daily discussion now, getting close to hourly. There has got to be at least 100 recent bridging threads about usage, ATT blocking, etc. The current bridge sticky is not the solution apparently.

We might even be happy with bridge related thread links as a sticky.

Edit - we don't mind helping, but JeepBB has been answering these threads for months with identical responses. It might help him out at least.
    Heh Heh... I've asked the Mods to sticky threads a few times - so far unsuccessfully. And it would take me longer to find an earlier post than to retype it!

Maybe they just like to see if my answers remain consistent?

How am I doing? LOL
    jcbrunson likes this.
    12-31-11 08:03 AM
    In re bridge use being free be aware that does not hold when abroad even if email there is "free."
    In other words, don't go using your PB bridge on the cruise ship! Had dinner with a fellow on a cruise ship last yr, and we were talking BBs. He was commenting on how great it was to still get emails at sea, and I asked if he knew that he was being charged intl maritime roaming data rates for usage. He went white as a sheet and excused himself from dinner...
    12-31-11 08:03 AM
    Heh Heh... I've asked the Mods to sticky threads a few times - so far unsuccessfully. And it would take me longer to find an earlier post than to retype it!

Maybe they just like to see if my answers remain consistent?

How am I doing? LOL
    You have been an excellent consistant source of "bridge" support. Maybe you should start the sticky? I'll vouch for you!

Just seems like this issue is coming up daily, along with the cat fights...
    12-31-11 08:08 AM
    Shall we say then you will we charged no more then if you had been using your phone.
    12-31-11 08:21 AM
    if bridge is available to apps for internet access, i'd like to see the ability to limit what apps have that access. namely the apps that come under the bridge tab.

app world and podcasts won't use bridge. the ad supported games i have don't use it. the facebook app does tho. yet another argument that the notifications for the phone apps should be shown on the playbook
    12-31-11 12:31 PM
    if bridge is available to apps for internet access, i'd like to see the ability to limit what apps have that access. namely the apps that come under the bridge tab.

app world and podcasts won't use bridge. the ad supported games i have don't use it. the facebook app does tho. yet another argument that the notifications for the phone apps should be shown on the playbook
    Honestly man, yer nuts to use the bridge for podcasting unless you have unlimited data. Plus you already have the same feature on the BB. Just my 2.
    12-31-11 04:02 PM
    i am not saying i want to use it, i am saying podcasts don't use it.

i've noticed the podcast app barely makes use of a solid wireless connection. i've been waiting days for some items to download.
    12-31-11 08:41 PM
    I just wanted to shed some light on the Bridge option on the Playbook. I purchased my Playbook the day it came out and called Bell Mobility to confirm I would be able to use the Blackberry Bridge option with my Blackberry at. After speaking with three managers the answer was yes.

I used my PB for several hours per day and never saw one charge for bridging on my bill. On Nov 29 2011 I received a bill for over $1200.00.
    iI immediately called Bell Mobility and after 2 weeks of them investigating my account and arguing that theh said it was free to Bridge, the $1200.00 was removed from my account.

I was told that Blackberry Bridge was the exact same as tethering except Bridging is a quick way to tether for blackberry users.
    01-19-12 07:31 AM
    In other words, don't go using your PB bridge on the cruise ship! Had dinner with a fellow on a cruise ship last yr, and we were talking BBs. He was commenting on how great it was to still get emails at sea, and I asked if he knew that he was being charged intl maritime roaming data rates for usage. He went white as a sheet and excused himself from dinner...
    I can confirm this.
    I went on a cruise a couple of months after I got my first bold. On board, I turned the device off, when not in use.

However, because it's a "smart" phone, it picked up signals at set and turned itself on, and transmitted data (pushed).

When I got home, my bill was over a grand in fees.

I called ATT and they reversed them all. (Hd to call 2 months in a row, because the cruise overlapped the billing cycle>.
    01-19-12 09:49 AM
    Even if the email is free, if the DATA isn't, charges may apply...
    01-19-12 09:53 AM
    I don't have a BB phone so don't use bridge. I can see that conceptually it's a bit different from tethering when the Playbook hooks up with and uses an app on the phone. But, when the Playbook browser is simply getting its data through the BB phone connections, I would agree with the carriers that it is tethering. Of course, whether they can detect it is another question.
    01-20-12 02:00 AM
    I have verizion and an unlimited data plan. Does it matter if I use the regular browser, or should I be using the bridge browser?
    01-27-12 12:35 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD