can the the back light and standby time out settings be somehow set for MORE than five minutes. seems odd bb wouldnt let you make any choice you wanted.
    11-10-11 11:59 AM
    can the the back light and standby time out settings be somehow set for MORE than five minutes. seems odd bb wouldnt let you make any choice you wanted.
    I hope you understand that the PB is not a laptop with a longer/stronger battery which gives you numerous options to backlight/standby.

RIM for obvious reasons did not include longer time points for the PB, a few good ones-

* To prevent battery drain- leading to shorter battery life (and complains from customers)
    * To prevent overheating (the PB dosent have fans to cool the unit unlike laptop, so heat will have a few limited ways to escape)- that in-turn leading to hardware/battery damage

Imagine having your backlight on for 4 hours- I bet when you get back you will find your PB hot like a pancake and maybe some fireworks..... now would you want that, I wouldn't.
    kingzogofalbania likes this.
    11-10-11 12:08 PM
    Sadly they haven't seen fit to allow this just yet, for reasons of which nobody (including some RIM employees I've talked to) seems to be aware.

There's certainly no good reason not to allow a longer standby time when plugged in on a charger.

Even on battery, many people object to the feeling they're being told what they should and shouldn't do, and some would be quite happy to accept the reduced battery life in return for being able to set standby higher from time to time.
    11-10-11 12:16 PM
    Sadly they haven't seen fit to allow this just yet, for reasons of which nobody (including some RIM employees I've talked to) seems to be aware.

There's certainly no good reason not to allow a longer standby time when plugged in on a charger.

Even on battery, many people object to the feeling they're being told what they should and shouldn't do, and some would be quite happy to accept the reduced battery life in return for being able to set standby higher from time to time.
    Off topic but had to chuckle at your last statement. I guess there are many more that like to be told per the popularity of apple products people buy.

As for standby times I think they should let us choose also.
    11-10-11 12:32 PM
    if you want to force the screen to stay on, i suggest download the app silentnoise (all one word) and run it in the background. i guess showcase mode would be needed for this to work also.
    11-10-11 12:48 PM
    I hope you understand that the PB is not a laptop with a longer/stronger battery which gives you numerous options to backlight/standby.

RIM for obvious reasons did not include longer time points for the PB, a few good ones-

* To prevent battery drain- leading to shorter battery life (and complains from customers)
    * To prevent overheating (the PB dosent have fans to cool the unit unlike laptop, so heat will have a few limited ways to escape)- that in-turn leading to hardware/battery damage

Imagine having your backlight on for 4 hours- I bet when you get back you will find your PB hot like a pancake and maybe some fireworks..... now would you want that, I wouldn't.
    Ive left mine on for four hours streaming movies and Ive had no fireworks or overheating problems or damage, it doesnt even get hot and i have a case on
    11-10-11 01:12 PM
    if you want to force the screen to stay on, i suggest download the app silentnoise (all one word) and run it in the background. i guess showcase mode would be needed for this to work also.
    Sadly, just "running it in the background" does not work. I know: I've implemented the same feature in Battery Guru. Note also that versions of AIR Browser up until now also do it.

You need two things:

1. the app must be "active": this can be achieved by using Showcase mode, in which case all apps are considered "active" all the time, or you can use Default mode and make sure this was the last app that is or was fullscreen, or you can use Paused mode in which case the app must be fullscreen to be "active".

2. some portion of the app's window must be visible, even if it's just a tiny slice: this can obviously be accomplished by having it fullscreen, but it works (except in Paused mode) even when it's minimized but with only part of the window showing at the edge. It does NOT work if the window is not visible at all, such as when another app is fullscreen.

These restrictions are limitations of the OS and AIR, not of the apps themselves. It's possible a native app could do better... I haven't looked into that yet.
    11-10-11 02:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD