Like kennyliu said. There is no such thing as TRUE or FALSE multitasking. iOS run multi process, multi app from version 1.0 but Apple limit it to core-process and 1st party apps only. Your Mail and Safari still load in background.

From iOS 4, Apple provide a set of background services to 3rd party apps. Your podcast still play on background, your video app still play audio in background, your photo app still upload or process in background, your rss client still downloading,... even your youtube tab in Safari can play in background. But unlike Android, background task on iOS limited to 10 mins, except for VOIP, Audio and location, navigation. I think it cover 90% of use case.

What difference between Android and PlaybookOS is PbOS still render UI in background. And I think its not a elegant solution when user need switch between 2 mode, in default mode apps pause in background and do nothing, in showcase mode every apps run fully with its UI. It take alot of CPU and memory, you need to micromanagement what app to close, what game to close when run out of memory.

On desktop OS it make sense because you are in a multi-windows environment, you can see multiple windows, multiple application at once. But on a single-window, single-app model like tablet OS its waste of resource to still render UI of background apps you can't see.
    With background service like on Android, background apps still do everything you need except for thing related to graphic like running game in background.

Just my opinion anyway.
    02-14-12 02:50 PM
    I got the playbook, got it for $120 @ best buy

reasons to get playbook:
    -cheap, built like a tank
    -good specs, 5mp front/3mp back camera
    -gps
    -good battery life for music, played music all day and ended the day with 78%
    -good browsing web
    -great multitasking
    -great graphics on games

cons:
    -what the heck can you multitask on the playbook anyways, there are Sh1t apps on the market.
    -NO SKYPE(webcamming)/ NO AIM (if so what? IM+? not paying 8 dollars for a free service)
    -apps that you can get for free on android/ipad are either not available on appworld or is hella-overpriced
    -there are no GPS program that works like a gps should work
    -cant compare playbook to android/ipad because definitely there are more things to do on those OS's than this.
    -cant even open a pdf file that has a password, when i have the password -__-

but, still satisfied with the purchase..

drumrolling for RIM's release of the "epic 2.0 update," if this crap fails to what the hype is all about then definitely the playbook has nothing on android/ios
    kennyliu and speedypear like this.
    02-14-12 05:06 PM
    With regards to the OP the answer is simple and do some online searching.

This question has been asked so many times and answered on this site yet someone still throws it back. i appreciate it when someone asks from a different perspective but a vague 'should I get a PB' is just another query from an individual who cannot make their own opinion.

For the record I was in a similiar situation last month, did some research and came to a conclusion.

This forum has so much information, use it and search it before sending out lazy posts.

Good luck!
    02-14-12 05:50 PM
    Oh, and i forgot. It is fantastic at multitasking, true multitasking.
    not sure about this, like 50% time when i multitask and browse multiple tabs it tells me it is out of memory, then recently the OS is starting to close apps by itself to free up memory.

i usally run some music, app world, battery guru, todays alarm, a browser with a few tabs open. Hit a website the browser doesnt like, and it either crashes itself, or out of memory appears.

then some days it works fine on the same websites....
    02-14-12 08:28 PM
    Well, if you like to multi task, the PlayBook is gonna beat the iPad...
    02-14-12 08:29 PM
    Well, if you like to multi task, the PlayBook is gonna beat the iPad...
    so weird, i cant even launch my native browser right now, the playbook is running on like 80megs of memory with just these apps running:

battery guru
    app world
    todays alarm
    native music player playing a jay z album.

as of now i will have to perform a restart to get it to work.

yesterday i had to do a restart just to make my splashtopHD app open
    02-14-12 08:40 PM
    so weird, i cant even launch my native browser right now, the playbook is running on like 80megs of memory with just these apps running:

battery guru
    app world
    todays alarm
    native music player playing a jay z album.

as of now i will have to perform a restart to get it to work.

yesterday i had to do a restart just to make my splashtopHD app open
    proof or shens

So the multi-tasking subject came out in the open eh? Won't even try to explain why the playbook is far superior at this.. there seem to be some ifans that are just too ignorant to understand, (not everyone, but you know who you are), and thus its just an argument i will avoid because I can't have a conversation with a child.

For those that are actually interested in educating yourselves:

02-14-12 09:01 PM
    With regards to the OP the answer is simple and do some online searching.

This question has been asked so many times and answered on this site yet someone still throws it back. i appreciate it when someone asks from a different perspective but a vague 'should I get a PB' is just another query from an individual who cannot make their own opinion.

For the record I was in a similiar situation last month, did some research and came to a conclusion.

This forum has so much information, use it and search it before sending out lazy posts.

Good luck!
    i agree to a certain extent kinda lazy but i think its a good idea the op is getting to know the product from people who already have it and can talk about it without being uninformed. i think its a good idea to start a thread on it that way specific questions can be addressed, however vague hit that right on the head, should i buy a pb on the crackberry forum will most likely result in posts such as these
    02-14-12 09:04 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD