I'm looking to purchase a PlayBook. I find the whole idea of bridging with my 9930 a great idea. I'm not sure of the real core benefits though. I always thought tablets were way too expensive for what they actually do. Because seriously, I can buy a netbook for $250 that can do loads more than an ipad for $500+.

Am I missing something? What are the benefits of get a PlayBook? I work for a third party mobile store. I sell Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile devices, along with contracts. I can do pretty much anything the carrier stores can do. Plus trade-ins to make the experience and purchase of the device more convenient and cheaper. I don't email much if at all right now. Business is somewhat slow this winter (after Christmas). I'm looking to hopefully start selling liquidated products on amazon eventually to get some more money in my pocket.

How can a PlayBook play a role in making things easier or more efficient? Do I even need one? The idea of it sounds good, but the core benefits of having one are what's most important to me.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    02-14-12 09:31 AM
    It's a tablet with good hardware and it's cheap.
    02-14-12 09:34 AM
    If you have a BB phone, the playbook is pretty awesome as it is now. The bridge facility allows you to browse anywhere you have a connection on your phone. It is portable, the screen is sharp and clear and the battery life is also quite impressive. You can connect it to your computer and transfer file through wifi or drag and drop usb connection. The browser is super speedy and supports flash, which means real web pages not slimmed down ipad pages (sorry). Any other questions, please be specific about what you want to know as there are too many benefit to list in a post!
    02-14-12 09:39 AM
    Oh, and i forgot. It is fantastic at multitasking, true multitasking.
    02-14-12 09:41 AM
    So I don't need mobile hotspot to connect my PlayBook to the internet? I can be on a train ride, watching netflix and check emails if necessary WITHOUT having to have the $20/month Mobile hotspot feature??

02-14-12 09:42 AM
    So I don't need mobile hotspot to connect my PlayBook to the internet? I can be on a train ride, watching netflix and check emails if necessary WITHOUT having to have the $20/month Mobile hotspot feature??

Absolutely, wherever your phone get signal, you'll be able to use your phone data plan to connect to the internet. No extra costs, although be careful not to max out your data plan on your phone.

Netflix is not currently supported, but i think it should be in the next update, which is due this month.
    02-14-12 09:47 AM
    Oh, and i forgot. It is fantastic at multitasking, true multitasking.
    I still can't figure out what this means.

I was editing a blog-post on my iPad last night, using the Blogsy app, popping over to Safari to check stuff on the web, looking up words in some multilingual dictionary apps, glancing at my e-mail. All switching was a simple three-finger swipe. Had I wanted to, I could have been playing music at the same time.

I have also had a slideshow playing, streaming wirelessly from the iPad to my TV, while looking up stuff on the web.

This seems like multitasking to me. What is "false" about it?

This is not a troll... I am honestly baffled at what that adjective ("true") means. RIM's new CEO is still offering it as a significant advantage, but they have not done a very good job of explaining what it is.
    bluecougar and ralfyguy like this.
    02-14-12 09:51 AM
    The core benefit of a tablet is portability. If I had to use a computer all day it wouldn't be a tablet.
    The PB is good for me the way I use it. Surfing from the couch, In the kitchen for recipes and into the coat pocket going to work. At work with no wifi using the bridge for internet and streaming music.
    02-14-12 09:52 AM
    Wow. So RIM found a way around that huh? Lol. Hmm. Its becoming more compelling. I really have to check it out hands on. I'm not buying it full retail though. I'm gonna get it on amazon for around 160 if I do decide to purchase it. Thanks for your help!

02-14-12 09:53 AM
    I still can't figure out what this means.

I was editing a blog-post on my iPad last night, using the Blogsy app, popping over to Safari to check stuff on the web, looking up words in some multilingual dictionary apps, glancing at my e-mail. All switching was a simple three-finger swipe. Had I wanted to, I could have been playing music at the same time.

I have also had a slideshow playing, streaming wirelessly from the iPad to my TV, while looking up stuff on the web.

This seems like multitasking to me. What is "false" about it?

This is not a troll... I am honestly baffled at what that adjective ("true") means. RIM's new CEO is still offering it as a significant advantage, but they have not done a very good job of explaining what it is.
    I unsderstand why its confusing. An ipad seems like it multitasking because to be fair, it is excellent at switching from one task to the next.

But true multitasking means two or more programs actively running at the same time.

When you switch programs, the other program will be put on hold. It seems like its multitasking becasue the ipad has got application switching down to a tea.

But really, its just paused the other program in the background.
    LeKeiser likes this.
    02-14-12 09:59 AM
    Wow. So RIM found a way around that huh? Lol. Hmm. Its becoming more compelling. I really have to check it out hands on. I'm not buying it full retail though. I'm gonna get it on amazon for around 160 if I do decide to purchase it. Thanks for your help!

ATT successfully blocked it by forcing RIM to make a special bridge app just for ATT customers. We are able to get around it by using the bridge app everyone else uses.
    02-14-12 10:01 AM
    ATT successfully blocked it by forcing RIM to make a special bridge app just for ATT customers. We are able to get around it by using the bridge app everyone else uses.
    We dont have ATT in the uk. Sounds like they are a bunch of A**holes!
    alnamvet68 and rotorwrench like this.
    02-14-12 10:03 AM
    pay for bridge!?!? never! at&t can burn in .....H E Double Hockey Sticks - str8 from Canada.
    Last edited by erodenero; 02-14-12 at 11:24 AM.
    pcotton and nenoo39 like this.
    02-14-12 10:05 AM
    I'm looking to purchase a PlayBook. I find the whole idea of bridging with my 9930 a great idea. I'm not sure of the real core benefits though. I always thought tablets were way too expensive for what they actually do. Because seriously, I can buy a netbook for $250 that can do loads more than an ipad for $500+.

Am I missing something? What are the benefits of get a PlayBook? I work for a third party mobile store. I sell Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile devices, along with contracts. I can do pretty much anything the carrier stores can do. Plus trade-ins to make the experience and purchase of the device more convenient and cheaper. I don't email much if at all right now. Business is somewhat slow this winter (after Christmas). I'm looking to hopefully start selling liquidated products on amazon eventually to get some more money in my pocket.

How can a PlayBook play a role in making things easier or more efficient? Do I even need one? The idea of it sounds good, but the core benefits of having one are what's most important to me.

You don't sound like you really need one right now. The 9930 is more than enough for your needs from what you described.

It's great for browsing. I also use it occasionally to record videos and take pictures. I use video chat to talk to distance relatives (who also own the PlayBooks). My mom uses it everyday to watch dramas. My dad uses it to watch youtube and read news. It also good for playing games.
    alnamvet68 and rotorwrench like this.
    02-14-12 10:10 AM
    You don't sound like you really need one right now. The 9930 is more than enough for your needs from what you described.

It's great for browsing. I also use it occasionally to record videos and take pictures. I use video chat to talk to distance relatives (who also own the PlayBooks). My mom uses it everyday to watch dramas. My dad uses it to watch youtube and read news. It also good for playing games.
    Everyone needs a Playbook
    DenimAndLeather likes this.
    02-14-12 10:13 AM
    A few clarifications:

1) As far as I know AT&T and Verizon still intend to come up with a way of charging for using Blackberry Bridge. If one is with AT&T for instance, they can also already throttle your connection speed to next to nothing even with an old unlimited plan at little more than 2 GB. It was in the news just yesterday. If you work for a third party mobile store, you probably know that the smaller US carriers are running very lean at this point just to survive.
    2) True multitasking on a Playbook still needs to be taken with a grain of salt. First, that means multitasking of that vast array of Playbook apps - take that as sarcasm. Second, you still can't do something as simple as open two browser windows and have one playing media in the background while reading the other. The default mode for Playbook multitasking is also not true multitasking. It suspends apps when something else is running in the foreground.
    3) No you absolutely cannot watch Netflix and check email at the same time while sitting on a train since there is no Netflix app for the Playbook and no proof that there ever will be. Even if there was, you would need to set multitasking to showcase and draws more heavily on the battery, as does streaming in general.

If you want true multitasking and something ike Netflix, you really might want to consider one of the HP DM1Z laptop line. They only weigh about 3 pounds, offer a hi res 11 inch screen, fast 320 gb 720 RPM hard drive, and cost less than the non-discounted price of a 64 GB Playbook. Actually, they cost less than the non-discounted price of the 32 GB Playbooks as well (mid $400s). They also get eight to ten hours of battery life with the new AMD Fusion processors. I own the a first generation DM1Z rated at 8.5 hours of battery life and that is not just marketing. It really does last that long.
    02-14-12 10:14 AM
    1) If you have inside information about what ATT and Verizon plan to do I would like to know. I use the bridge connection often for streaming and surfing and don't feel as though I have been slowed down. The could have but I didn't notice.
    2) your right some streaming sites stop when you open another window. Fortunately we have two native browsers and some 3rd party browsers in app world. Crisis averted.
    And yes we have the option of suspending apps in the background(default) or running in the background(showcase).
    3) correct-no netflix
    Just a few clarifications
    02-14-12 10:28 AM
    A few clarifications:

1) As far as I know AT&T and Verizon still intend to come up with a way of charging for using Blackberry Bridge. If one is with AT&T for instance, they can also already throttle your connection speed to next to nothing even with an old unlimited plan at little more than 2 GB. It was in the news just yesterday. If you work for a third party mobile store, you probably know that the smaller US carriers are running very lean at this point just to survive.
    2) True multitasking on a Playbook still needs to be taken with a grain of salt. First, that means multitasking of that vast array of Playbook apps - take that as sarcasm. Second, you still can't do something as simple as open two browser windows and have one playing media in the background while reading the other. The default mode for Playbook multitasking is also not true multitasking. It suspends apps when something else is running in the foreground.
    3) No you absolutely cannot watch Netflix and check email at the same time while sitting on a train since there is no Netflix app for the Playbook and no proof that there ever will be. Even if there was, you would need to set multitasking to showcase and draws more heavily on the battery, as does streaming in general.

If you want true multitasking and something ike Netflix, you really might want to consider one of the HP DM1Z laptop line. They only weigh about 3 pounds, offer a hi res 11 inch screen, fast 320 gb 720 RPM hard drive, and cost less than the non-discounted price of a 64 GB Playbook. Actually, they cost less than the non-discounted price of the 32 GB Playbooks as well (mid $400s). They also get eight to ten hours of battery life with the new AMD Fusion processors. I own the a first generation DM1Z rated at 8.5 hours of battery life and that is not just marketing. It really does last that long.
    The Playbook does support true multitasking. I have mine in showcase mode 24/7 and I get around 8 hours hard use out of it. It doesent sound like he needs a laptop, merely something portable to carry around for entertainment but that is capable of being productive as well. Finally, we have to take into consideration that yes, the PB has been heavily discounted, but that mean that its great value for money. �169 (or $199) as opposed to $450? Big difference.
    02-14-12 10:35 AM
    Absolutely, wherever your phone get signal, you'll be able to use your phone data plan to connect to the internet. No extra costs, although be careful not to max out your data plan on your phone.

Netflix is not currently supported, but i think it should be in the next update, which is due this month.
    Don't confuse bridge with internet tethering. Bridge will be free but it is slower than tethering or hotspot. Depending on who your carrier is tethering/hotspot you'll have to pay for. From what I understand, we Americans are the only ones who have to pay extra for tethering/hotspot.
    02-14-12 10:40 AM
    I unsderstand why its confusing. An ipad seems like it multitasking because to be fair, it is excellent at switching from one task to the next.

But true multitasking means two or more programs actively running at the same time.

When you switch programs, the other program will be put on hold. It seems like its multitasking becasue the ipad has got application switching down to a tea.

iOS, Android, PlaybookOS all are multitasking capable OS, since version 1.0
    It's a matter of design choice, Android run background service, iOS run background service. Your webpage still load in background, podcast still play, navigation, VOIP, photo upload/process still running.

IMO, I like Android background service model more than multitasking in the Playbook. With all current OS tablet not designed for and can't work with multi-windows environment like desktop OS, it's poinless to still have game render, video play in background. In Playbook, if you use default mode, all apps will pause in background, no service, no API for anything, website don't even keep load in background AFAIK
    Last edited by Vindicators; 02-14-12 at 11:01 AM.
    02-14-12 10:55 AM
    Just get one.

I had no idea why I needed a playbook, and even after having one for several months, didn't think I really needed it (after all, I have a pretty small netbook I can take with me).

I only really found how much I missed it when I forgot it at home and was without it for a week.

Just get it and start using it. You'll be surprised at how useful the damn things are.
    02-14-12 12:01 PM

Thanks for this explanation. There has to be more to it than this, because as I've said, the iPad can receive mail, play music, and stream video when other tasks are active.

The one thing the iPad does not offer is the ability to see two active tasks simultaneously, as one task always takes over the screen. So if "true multitasking" means "multitasking in a multi-window environment", then it is clear enough and that is a clearly differentiated feature of the PB.
    02-14-12 12:02 PM
    i think your decision will be based heavily on personal preference, as well as the most important factor...PRICE! for the price the playbook is being discounted its a far better deal than an ipad in my opinion, i dont know how well the ipad2 works, but my ipad1 with ios 5 is junk. granted this isnt a perfect comparison as the pb kills ipad1 spec wise. differentiating factors are enough to sway some buyers, but i think price will be the determining factor by far. If you dont have to pay for bridge, but do have to pay for tethering or hotspot, id say the choice is obvious, if at&t is charging for bridge it might just come down to the price as i said before.
    02-14-12 12:43 PM
    There is no such thing as TRUE or FALSE multitasking. What people here refer to is the convenience in switching apps, bezel control, etc, that is, the UI. Otherwise, other platforms can also run apps in the background. Moreover, other OSs, unlike PBOS, can run SERVICES for non-native apps in the background.

With all this said, the PB's UI is indeed fantastic. You'll love it, I am sure.
    02-14-12 12:52 PM
    iOS, Android, PlaybookOS all are multitasking capable OS, since version 1.0
    It's a matter of design choice, Android run background service, iOS run background service. Your webpage still load in background, podcast still play, navigation, VOIP, photo upload/process still running.

IMO, I like Android background service model more than multitasking in the Playbook. With all current OS tablet not designed for and can't work with multi-windows environment like desktop OS, it's poinless to still have game render, video play in background. In Playbook, if you use default mode, all apps will pause in background, no service, no API for anything, website don't even keep load in background AFAIK
    Go to ipadforums.net, or one of several ipad forums in the hack section and read where they hack to try and get true multitasking. Or go to the pcworld article where they break down what iPad does in place of multitasking and why iOS doesn't support it. The iPad does what is called "saved state". It actually works well, but the app is for all intents and purposes paused. On ours, I have opened a video, started music and then tried opening safari. When an app was opened over the movie, it paused and started where it left off when brought back. Safari would not load unless it's window was open, nor would a game stay active if another window was open.

On the PB I will start a movie, then open the browser and start music, swipe up from the bottom to show all panes and the movie is playing, browser loading and music playing, I then open a game and it will stay active and running too, not paused. This is in showcase mode. Default is recommended to save battery and for those who forget to close an app.
    02-14-12 01:09 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD