I am looking for something that preferably does not rely on data and can be run standalone. If data is needed, it should be able to tether with my z10.

Thanks

Black is best Z10!
    08-13-13 11:18 PM
    Mireo Don't Panic is the best one I've found so far. Doesn't need data or your network for that matter and it's basically a full GPS. It will cost to buy the maps (not sure what the price is, but I think it's still $12.99) and you will need space on your SD card or phone (2GB or so). Definitely well worth it though.
    k3cub likes this.
    08-13-13 11:24 PM
    I am looking for something that preferably does not rely on data and can be run standalone. If data is needed, it should be able to tether with my z10.

Thanks

Black is best Z10!
    Google maps sideload 7.0.2 does allow you to cache maps, so that works really nice
    If you're traveling overseas, I suggest Osmand+. It utilizes openstreatmaps and all the maps are free and constantly updated
    I'm not fully sure whether this is in app world, but you can sideload it. It was in app world for the PB.
    08-13-13 11:28 PM
    I am not clear - it sounds as if you want a gps program for a Playbook and would be willing to use the z10 to provide the tether link to grab data for the Playbook?

Or do you want a z10 gps program?

Nogago for the pb does not need data once you've download maps.
    08-14-13 12:06 AM
    Sorry my post was not too clear.

I was looking for a data independent gps program for my playbook.

If there is not one available, the program should hopefully allow me to tether with my z10.

Hope this clears it up.

Black is best Z10!
    08-14-13 11:04 AM
    I am not clear - it sounds as if you want a gps program for a Playbook and would be willing to use the z10 to provide the tether link to grab data for the Playbook?

Or do you want a z10 gps program?

Nogago for the pb does not need data once you've download maps.
    So nogago is best?

Black is best Z10!
    08-14-13 11:04 AM
    So nogago is best?

Black is best Z10!
    All the maps programs I have used, Magellan, Latitude sideloads etc. all will download map data when bridged to phone. Don't know about the Z-10 but can't see why it wouldn't.
    08-14-13 11:10 AM
    All the maps programs I have used, Magellan, Latitude sideloads etc. all will download map data when bridged to phone. Don't know about the Z-10 but can't see why it wouldn't.
    Thanks.

So having said that, what is the consensus of playbook users as to the best gps software for the playbook?

Black is best Z10!
    08-14-13 11:29 AM
    So nogago is best?

Black is best Z10!
    I don't know if it is BEST. The interface can be confusing.

Do you want to use the bigger screen on the pb? There might be better or newer apps for the Z10.
    08-14-13 11:34 AM
    Thanks.

So having said that, what is the consensus of playbook users as to the best gps software for the playbook?

Black is best Z10!
    I think that depends on where you are and what you need it for.

The problem will all of them is that the playbook screen will timeout after five minutes and if it goes into standby the gps signal is lost. Real pain in the arse. You can keep the playbook awake if you have the gps app minimized and are running a program like battery guru as well that has a keep awake function. Many of the apps are free to sideload so you should check them out and see what you like. The magellan paid app is good as well in my area, Ontario, but I heard not so good in Europe and other places.

I'd try all the free sideload apps and see if you find something that works for you.
    08-14-13 11:46 AM
    One word (okay, more than one) - before you potentially purchase anything from Skylab, read comments and reviews here.
    08-14-13 12:35 PM
    Great thanks everyone

Seems like the playbook gps app is good at best.

Maybe the best option is for me to use Mireo don't panic and my z10.

Black is best Z10!
    08-14-13 02:04 PM
    Mireo don't Panic is the way to go, if you can't find a place look it in Foursquare and Mireo will do the rest as well.

Posted using my Q10 workhorse
    08-14-13 03:43 PM
    If you have a Z10, use it.

PlayBook's GPS does not come close to working as quickly or as accurately.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 07:05 PM