I have a mp4 video, when I check it using mediaInfo software, it says its video format is MPEG-4 visual, codec id is 20. Its audio format is AAC, codec id is 40.

I understand Playbook supports mpeg-4 and aac, and when I play it it just gives me a black screen, no sound, no video.

I could use video convert software to convert it, but I'm just curious why it can't be played on PB as both video and audio format are supported.
    03-08-12 12:19 PM
    Sorry I can't, but I can tell you that the MPEG4 h.264 video my Canon HD camera puts out can't be played by the playbook either. Very annoying.

RIM need to open up it's video playback decoder and include support for all the mainstream codecs.
    03-08-12 12:27 PM
    I have an mp4 that was taken with a samsung tab that played on the PB when it was running 1.08, but no longer plays with 2.0. I get an error saying that "this file type is not supported". I tried deleting it from the PB and transferring it back over but still the same thing (even after a wipe). I don't need that vid anyway, but curious that the other mp4s run ok.
    03-08-12 02:42 PM
    I have a mp4 video, when I check it using mediaInfo software, it says its video format is MPEG-4 visual, codec id is 20. Its audio format is AAC, codec id is 40.

I understand Playbook supports mpeg-4 and aac, and when I play it it just gives me a black screen, no sound, no video.

I could use video convert software to convert it, but I'm just curious why it can't be played on PB as both video and audio format are supported.
    Go here for all the codecs supported by os2.

I noticed there are some restrictions on some of them. Such as the AAC has to be 96 Kpbs or higher.

Hope its helpful.
    03-08-12 03:12 PM
    One of my work colleagues who also owns a PlayBook reported the same issue. He used to be able to play mp4 files in OS1, now cannot in OS2.
    03-08-12 04:49 PM
    One of my work colleagues who also owns a PlayBook reported the same issue. He used to be able to play mp4 files in OS1, now cannot in OS2.
    The movies I encoded that played on os1 still plays on os2.
    OP try opening the file in vlc. I think the file is corrupted. Check the extention make sure its written correctly.
    03-08-12 05:45 PM
    The movies I encoded that played on os1 still plays on os2.
    OP try opening the file in vlc. I think the file is corrupted. Check the extention make sure its written correctly.
    Can you tell me how you you encoded your mp4 files?
    03-08-12 06:41 PM
    Can you tell me how you you encoded your mp4 files?
    Yes I can. What is your source file going to be? What software do you have already?
    03-08-12 07:00 PM
    My only non-helpful comment is: How could they break/remove something in an UPDATE!!!!
    03-08-12 09:40 PM
    Ditto here. Some play but you can't FF/RW to locations anymore, some just freeze the player. They were fine before the 2.0 update.
    03-09-12 07:34 AM
    This is MP42.. Its under the MPEG-4 Part 2 package which uses H.263, I guess not supported by PlayBook but popular on Xvid, QuickTime, etc. Older file format.

In the past all MP4 players could not play all MP4 files hence MPEG-4 Part 10 package was introduced with H.264 codec to be playable across all. This is the type of file you need.

Load your file in Freemake Video Converter and do a convert to PlayBook setting or to MP4 with video codec to H.264 or MPEG4.
    Last edited by varunsain; 03-09-12 at 08:04 AM.
    zzbsb likes this.
    03-09-12 07:41 AM
    This is MP42.. Its under the MPEG-4 Part 2 package which uses H.263, I guess not supported by PlayBook but popular on Xvid, QuickTime, etc. Older file format.

In the past all MP4 players could not play all MP4 files hence MPEG-4 Part 10 package was introduced with H.264 codec to be playable across all. This is the type of file you need.

Load your file in Freemake Video Converter and do a convert to PlayBook setting or to MP4 with video codec to H.264 or MPEG4.
    Thanks, understood now. And yes converting to H.264 worked.
    03-09-12 10:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD